+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lord Mandelson

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    How do we all feel about Lord M. being in charge of our country while Gordon is off on his hols?

Particularly as the said Lord is unelected, is this another erosion of our so called democracy?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm no Mandelson fan, but I can't imagine he'd be any worse than Harriet Harman, or Gordon Brown for that matter.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Somebody's got to mind the shop, and whether you like Mandy or not (not many do), he's reckoned to be an able politician by all shades of the political spectrum.

Furthermore, this tabloid inspired idea that Prime Ministers aren't entitled to a bit of r&r is just nonsense.

Liked
    2 times
    There is no doubt that Lord M. is at least the intellectual equal of Harriet Harperson and may be as capable as Gordon. There's also no disputing that GB is entitled to a break, my concern is an unelected individual being the putative leader of our country,however temporary that may be.

This is not a party political opinion but a reflection on the status of democracy in the UK which does concern me..

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='hhhhancock']How do we all feel about Lord M. being in charge of our country while Gordon is off on his hols?

Not a lot, one minute he's a Commie and the next he's made himself a Lord, if that's not being a precocious hipocryte then i don't know what is!

Liked
    20 times
    name='hhhhancock']There is no doubt that Lord M. is at least the intellectual equal of Harriet Harperson and may be as capable as Gordon. There's also no disputing that GB is entitled to a break, my concern is an unelected individual being the putative leader of our country,however temporary that may be.

It depends what you mean by 'unelected'. The leaders, or Prime Ministers, of the UK have never been elected by the public. They are the leaders of the party(or coalition) which forms the government, and that political party is free to chose (or lose) its leader by whatever means it thinks fit. It is perfectly within the constitution for a member of the House of Lords to be Prime Minister. It would be pretty unworkable nowadays, but it has happened in the past.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I noticed that in June he was promoted to "first secretary of state" which is a seldom used title sometimes used by parties that prefer not to have a deputy Prime Minister. Clearly Labour had a DP for years so why this title for the Dark Lord ?

Perhaps they feared the public outcry at him becoming Deputy put them off ?

Now I hear that they are going to try to change to law so that a life peer can resign, just so that Mandy can stand for a safe seat to keep him in a position of power as the mouthpiece of the EU.

I wouldn't let him muck-out the cattle.

Liked
    2 times
    name='narabdela']It depends what you mean by 'unelected'. The leaders, or Prime Ministers, of the UK have never been elected by the public. They are the leaders of the party(or coalition) which forms the government, and that political party is free to chose (or lose) its leader by whatever means it thinks fit. It is perfectly within the constitution for a member of the House of Lords to be Prime Minister. It would be pretty unworkable nowadays, but it has happened in the past.

I agree with your analysis but of course I mean unelected in that Lord M. hasn't been elected as a constituency MP by the voters. I also think that putting an X in a box every 4 or 5 years does not constitute democracy, especially when people vote for a party in the expectation that they will keep the promises made in their manifesto. this applies to all parties, not just New Labour althougth I despise that party with a vengeance.

Liked
    2 times
    name='PS68060']

Perhaps they feared the public outcry at him becoming Deputy put them off ?

Now I hear that they are going to try to change to law so that a life peer can resign, just so that Mandy can stand for a safe seat to keep him in a position of power as the mouthpiece of the EU.

I wouldn't let him muck-out the cattle.

I did read that life peers may be allowed to resign their peerage so that they can stand in a safe seat as a commoner. What I don't quite understand is what the difference is in the situation with life peers being able to resign nowadays with the case of Wedgewood Benn resigning as Viscount Stansgate to stand as a Labour MP in the past?? Is it because he inherited the title from his father perhaps?

I wouldn't let Lord M. muck out my worst enemies cattle !

Liked
    151 times
    This is not a party political opinion but a reflection on the status of democracy in the UK which does concern me..

He's only minding the shop and the deputy PM has no constitutional power.

I've a sneaking admiration for the likes of Mandy and Campbell as they seem schemers straight out of an episode of Yes Minister.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='DB7']He's only minding the shop ...
    Of course he is. If there are any real decisions to be made then he'd be on the phone to the PM straight away.

This is just another piece of stirring by the meeja

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I would rather trust Ka from The Jungle Book than that slithering creep.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anOwMIm1-5w&feature=related]YouTube - Trust In Me...[/ame]

Shere Khan - George Sanders

Kaa - Sterling Holloway

Mowgli - Bruce Reithermann

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Who cares, it is nothing to do with us. It is internal matter for Labour party.

Liked
    20 times
    name='Wolfgang']Who cares, it is nothing to do with us. It is internal matter for Labour party.

Lol, try telling that to the "Daily Mail".

Liked
    2 times
    name='Wolfgang']Who cares, it is nothing to do with us. It is internal matter for Labour party.

Well I certainly care, being involved in British politics for over 30 years now I've seen a gradual erosion of democracy in OUR country and I think we should all be concerned. The Lord M. thing is something that the Daily Mail and Express, and other right wing tabloids ,love to highlight but I am using it as an exemplar of the larger issue.

I've come to the conclusion, however, that most of the respondents aren't particularly bothered so I'll refrain from posting any threads on issues other than film and TV related issues on this forum in future.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='hhhhancock']Well I certainly care, being involved in British politics for over 30 years now I've seen a gradual erosion of democracy in OUR country and I think we should all be concerned. The Lord M. thing is something that the Daily Mail and Express, and other right wing tabloids ,love to highlight but I am using it as an exemplar of the larger issue.

Whilst much of what you say is true, in my view the problem is more that the second chamber is entirely unelected. Since under our constitution, any member of the second chamber [apart from the spiritual members I guess] may quite legitimately be a member of the government, I see no problem in Lord M holding the fort while the PM is on holiday.

I've come to the conclusion, however, that most of the respondents aren't particularly bothered so I'll refrain from posting any threads on issues other than film and TV related issues on this forum in future.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that it hasn't excited members more since it is Lord M and he is treated by the right as the devil incarnate - those of us on the far left aren't too keen on him either.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='hhhhancock']

It's not a case of 'not bothered' about it h, it's more a case of what we ordinary people can do about it.........which is absolutely nothing, hence the apathy.

All we can do is vote for the party that appeals to the individual in us once every five years, and we've a choice of Labour or Tory for Government and thats it, we just have to tolerate whomever has been elected.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='Steve Crook']Of course he is. If there are any real decisions to be made then he'd be on the phone to the PM straight away.

This is just another piece of stirring by the meeja

Steve

Seconded!

(I meet this anti gov, anti muslim, anti US, anti EU, stuff every time I open my e-mail, it is getting tiring.)

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Who cares?

Ours is but to do and die........