Member Country: Bulgaria
    Liked
    0 times
    I have written a new book on Albert Finney's life and career. It's called Strolling Player and will be published on January 13th, also a Friday, but a lucky day for me! It will be published by the History Press and is available in Waterstones.

The book is for true connoisseurs of stage and film. Each of Finney's performances is analysed in depth and there's a serious discussion of the craft of acting, a serious omission from many actors's biographies these days. But I hope it's also a fun read.

I was also fortunate enough to see Finney on stage on any occasions throughout his career and so could incorporate my own memories. There's also a serious attempt to highlight Finney's contribution to the cinematic revolution that took place around 1960. I think he was truly the key figure of British cinema around that time.

Please support the book and I welcome all your comments, both good and bad.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    I think he was truly the key figure of British cinema around that time.
    THE key figure of British cinema ?? Surely not.

He only made 2 films of note in the 1960s that any sort of lasting resonance- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and Tom Jones. And he made so much money from Tom Jones (as he took a percentage of the gross) that he didn't have to make another film for years and spent his time in the theatre. I guess the money from Tom Jones must have run out in the late 1970s since he started appearing in just about anything from then onwards.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I rather enjoyed "Night Must Fall" - is there much about that in the book?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi Gabriel,
    Is this a formal biography of his life in the traditional sense or more of a critical study of his work and performances in film and on stage? And did Finney co-operate with or approve of the project or did anyone of note or significance in his career contribute to your book?
    Last edited by pelam123; 12-01-17 at 05:07 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    See https://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...ir_esc=y&hl=en. I'm a fan of Mr Finney, and without his production company Memorial Enterprises (with Michael Medwin) we wouldn't have the two Lindsay Anderson films If .... and O Lucky Man!, two of my favourite films.
    Last edited by agutterfan; 16-01-17 at 05:33 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and Charlie Bubbles both had a lot of social resonance. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning was the most important film of that New Wave period, better than This Sporting Life or The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, for example, in my view.
    Finney was a key figure, more so than any other actor from the "realist" school in influencing a whole generation of actors who followed, people like John Thaw, Malcolm McDowell, Ian McShane and even, down the line, the likes of Ray Winstone and Ewan McGregor. You will notice, for example, in the recent controversial discussion about "posh" actors that Finney's name was cited repeatedly.
    I should have qualified my post by including his theatrical work. He was also the original Billy Liar.

Liked
    0 times
    Charlie Bubbles is really required viewing!