+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I usually tune into his show on a Sunday night when I get the chance, but for the last month they have been broadcasting repeats of his shows from 2009. There is no reason given for his absence so I assume he must be unwell and he is 86 now, hope he recovers soon if this is the case.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pelam123 View Post
    I usually tune into his show on a Sunday night when I get the chance, but for the last month they have been broadcasting repeats of his shows from 2009. There is no reason given for his absence so I assume he must be unwell and he is 86 now, hope he recovers soon if this is the case.
    We too are regular listeners and I tried to discover the reason for his absence from the BBC website without success. The iPlayer does not indicate that these are repeats either. If it is due to illness then it seems strange that the Beeb deprives his faithful listeners of news and the chance to wish him well.

Senior Member Country: UK golightly's Avatar
    Liked
    142 times
    I think he's on holiday, I'm sure there was some announcement saying that they would broadcast some repeats until his return.

Liked
    6 times
    According to the Sunday Times it was announced last week, before another repeat, that he is currently recovering from two major operations in the last few months and hopes to return at some point.

Get well soon David.

Senior Member Country: Europe Heinrich's Avatar
    Liked
    63 times
    He was very popular on Juke Box Jury. I had no idea he was still working.

Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately he is due to retire from his 11pm slot on August 4th - very sad news!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23407506

Liked
    6 times
    I'd noticed when listening recently that he did at times seem to slur his words and it was occasionally hard to understand what he was saying, the fact that he has Parkinsons disease does explain that now and the liver cancer is very bad news.

It will be interesting to see what R2 do with the slot now. Continue with a similar show and a new presenter or get rid of it completely in another attempt to attract a "younger" audience.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    They should give Desmond Carrington the Sunday night slot so he gets 2 shows each week.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    David Jacobs recently appeared on a documentary about his old friend Jon Pertwee and although he is obviously a lot older now and his voice weaker, he was as dapper as ever and it was very pleasant to see him again.

Liked
    69 times
    I listen to his show on a Sunday night when I am in my office at work. He will be missed,but his health is of more importance.
    Look after yourself,David.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I'd no idea he'd liver cancer-devastating news, it is of course terminal, when it affects that organ. Sorry to hear all of this.

Scenesixty

Liked
    6 times
    He will record his last show on Monday 29th, (due for transmission on the 4th August) but it will be recorded at his home rather than at Broadcasting House, as he is too ill to make the journey.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    David is the last link with the pre war days and it is wonderful that he has continued to entertain not just on the radio but frequently in person. I think back to my old friend Alan Dell and how the BBC dealt with him so at least the BBC have shown more respect where David is concerned and supported him and continued with his programme these last few years during his illness. I just hope he is comfortable and well looked after.

Liked
    69 times
    I heard it in my office on Sunday night. The poor man didn't sound too well. I wish him a long,happy retirement. Don Black is filling in for the next three months.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B