+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    151 times
    Steptoe & Son: The Complete Series & Specials (DVD)

Our Price 32.99

Release date: 29/10/2007

All 57 episodes of the classic BBC comedy series starring Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H. Corbett as the father and son running a a junkyard and scrap metal business. Includes every episode from Series 1-8, plus the two Christmas specials from 1973 and 1974.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Purchased this set recently and I can say it is one of the best box sets around for quality of performance throughout the series' and also in terms of value for money. Very handy to have all the TV episodes in one volume. It's easy to forget just how good the scripts and leads were.

name='DB7']Steptoe & Son: The Complete Series & Specials (DVD)

Our Price 32.99

All 57 episodes of the classic BBC comedy series starring Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H. Corbett as the father and son running a a junkyard and scrap metal business. Includes every episode from Series 1-8, plus the two Christmas specials from 1973 and 1974.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    I won a set recently.....from somewhere or another.....and it is brilliant!

YDSL x.

Senior Member Country: Tokelau
    Liked
    0 times
    Bear in mind though that one of the Christmas Specials is the shorter (edited) version, and not the complete episode originally aired (another cock-up from 2|entertain I'm afraid).

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Modular,

Thanks for this info.

Hadn't realised that the one of the Christmas episodes was cut.

Did you spot this with your eagle eye or was it reviewed elsewhere?

Just wondered..

name='Modular']Bear in mind though that one of the Christmas Specials is the shorter (edited) version, and not the complete episode originally aired (another cock-up from 2|entertain I'm afraid).

Senior Member Country: Tokelau
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Edward G']Modular,

Thanks for this info.

Hadn't realised that the one of the Christmas episodes was cut.

Did you spot this with your eagle eye or was it reviewed elsewhere?

Just wondered..

Funny enough, questions about whether 2|entertain would 'cock-up' the release of the two Christmas Specials were being asked within the archive television fraternity long before it ever hit the shops. And low and behold, they didn't disappoint!

The issue within 2|entertain (especially) seems to lie with those individuals tasked to retrieve a copy of whatever it is they want to release from the archives.

The problem is that these individuals responsible apparently have little or no knowledge of the programme material they're dealing with, and fail to realise there is often more than one version of certain episodes.

Inevitably then, sometimes an edited version is subsequently wrongly put out, with little hope of the company admitting their error, as their attitude seems to be "well, the average punter won't know the difference".

In short, it's poor quality control, and it drives me absolutely nuts, because it's so bloody avoidable!!

Liked
    0 times
    I would love to purchase this set but being from Australia I suppose I am limited to ordering from sites like Amazon UK and so forth. We are miles behind in Australia, only getting Season 6 next month.

On another note - what is the quality like of Seasons 5 & 6 on DVD? These were the two "missing" seasons originally and have been transferred from B & W videotape from what I can find out?

Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7']Steptoe & Son: The Complete Series & Specials (DVD)

Our Price 32.99

How Do I Purchase Steptoe & Son For The Price Of 32.99

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Unfortunately you can't - cheapest online price at the moment is 44:98 from Amazon.

Amazon.co.uk: Steptoe And Son : Complete BBC Series Box Set Including The Christmas Specials: Harry H. Corbett,Wilfrid Brambell,Leonard Rossiter,Mollie Sugden,Frank Thornton,Dudley Foster,Yootha Joyce,Valerie Bell,Anthony Sharp: DVD

Be worth waiting a bit longer though as I'm sure it'll come down again before too long.

Liked
    151 times
    Steptoe And Son - Complete And Specials

Price: 27.93

RRP: 59.99You Save: 32.06 Format: DVD

Liked
    151 times
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VA3J5C/"]The Complete Steptoe & Son: Harry H. Corbett, Wilfrid Brambell: Amazon.co.uk: DVD[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Cheers DB7.......an excellent buy

"Apartheid.......what the bleedin' ell's Apartheid?"

Liked
    0 times
    Had this for ages, for me the black and white episodes are by far the best, especially when they go to a posh street to buy a new house

Liked
    0 times
    I agree the b/w episodes are probably the best but the quality of most of these is pretty awful and it is evident that they have not been made from the original masters. In fact many of the later b/w episodes were broadcast in colour again suggesting that the originals were destroyed.

Whether remastering would have done much to improve the quality is a moot point.

However buy the time one is absorbed into the episode the quality or lack of it is soon forgotten.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I don't think the quality is that awful (you should see the state of some of the Out Of The Unknown copies someone got for me). I agree that it takes time to adjust to early Steptoe And Son but this is classic stuff. I had a feeling one or two episodes were remade.

Many years ago I saw Sykes on the BBC. In one episode, Eric and Hattie were having dinner together while handcuffed and for years I thought it was not only funny but inventive. In a clip from the early series that was shown somewhere I saw them doing exactly the same scene! What I'd seen originally, in the 70s, was obviously a remake. It just goes to show how naive I was as a child. Believe it or not, until John Lennon died (whereupon I immediately became a Beatles fan), I was believed that Here, There And Everywhere, Here Comes The Sun AND Something were Emmylou Harris, Shirley Bassey and Steve Harley songs respectively. I feel so stupid. It's not all bad news - if I was born even later I could have believed Siouxie & The Banshees were the first to sing Dear Prudence!

Liked
    0 times
    Many of the b/w episodes are anything but sharp which has nothing to do with the age of the series but rather points to the fact that the DVD was not made from original masters or similar.

Some of the early b/w episodes were abviously taken from film and show tramlines and other emulsion defects which could easily have been removed by remastering.

Again certain episodes acknowledge the assistance of the BFI and the Steptoe Appreciation Society for their assistance in making the material available which agian would indicate that for these episodes the originals have been destroyed.

Liked
    0 times
    With the Beeb's previously cavalier attitude to preservation we should be grateful that we have this collection at all, cobbled together as it is from a variety of sources. Yes, it's not perfect (the edited versions of the Christmas specials for one thing), but having originally seen the first series on a 19" Baird, I can hardly call any of it 'pretty awful'...

Snap it up.

Liked
    0 times
    Oh I agree with you it is perfectly acceptable and I don't regret buying it but they could with a little effort have done better. After all if we are to pay a not inconsiderable sum for a boxset then we have a right to assume that the producers will make every effort to produce the best possible copies within the technology available.

At its present price it is without doubt a good buy but reflect on the fact that it is only recently that it has come down to this low price.

Liked
    0 times
    Zavvi were selling off the S+S box set for 18 quid just before my local branch shut so I bagged one. They were doing Are You Being Served? complete collection for 30 quid but I left that. Managed to pick up a couple of the CBS sets Perry Mason and The Untouchables for 13 quid. But Zavvi is no more in my area and outlets for dvds are precious few now.