+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 137 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Have a Chat

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    No subject. Just chat. What type of day have you had? What have you been doing today? What's it like in Australia,USA,Canada,or anywhere else in the world where this site stretches too?

Mine is a mundane day emphasised by work,but I am sure someone out there has something pleasant to tell us about.

So all of you members - it's over to you.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    150 times
    I gathered up my tea towels and shoved them in the machine with my dishcloths earlier and put them on a pre-wash followed by a 'boil'.

Was I surprised when I emptied the machine after the cycle had finished - I didn't know a pair of Marigolds would stand up to a hot wash like that!

(I must remember to check that the cat isn't asleep amongst them next time......)

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Last night I went to Sydney's State Theatre to watch a concert by Soul legend

Al Green. I bought the ticket ages ago for $125 & I was really looking forward to

this as I have been a big fan of his since the 70's. Anyway my $125 got me a

crap seat & a performance from the Reverend Green which lasted about 70 mins

& there were no encores. He still is a fantastic singer & the band were terrific but

I felt let down by the lack of any imagination in the playlist , it was basically a

medley of his hits. The audience were clamouring for more at the end of the short

set & were totally nonplussed by the absence of an encore. We deserved better!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='wadsy']I felt let down by the lack of any imagination in the playlist , it was basically a medley of his hits. The audience were clamouring for more at the end of the shortset ...

Sounds like an average Chuck Berry gig ... except that they only last 60m.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    It's a while since I've been to a concert, friends who go say the behaviour of some fans leave a lot to be desired, going to the bar for more beer during the performance, singing along even with the solo quieter song. At a Leonard Cohen concert some clot starting singing Suzanne with Mr. C., a bloke in the seats in front turned round and punched him, and a fight ensued.

I reckon quite a few people go to these big name concerts not as a fan but simply just so they can say they went.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    name='Freddy']

I reckon quite a few people go to these big name concerts not as a fan but simply just so they can say they went.

That can be an expensive pastime!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Freddy']It's a while since I've been to a concert, friends who go say the behaviour of some fans leave a lot to be desired, going to the bar for more beer during the performance, singing along even with the solo quieter song. At a Leonard Cohen concert some clot starting singing Suzanne with Mr. C., a bloke in the seats in front turned round and punched him, and a fight ensued.

i'd agree with that-the last concert i went to was an oasis gig in the early 00s and the audience seemed to be comprised of coked up bell-end liam wannabees throwing beer and trying to start fights,i'd been to a few oasis gigs over the years prior and had noticed the steady progression of this type of fan-more interested in the bar than the actual music!

Liked
    243 times
    name='wadsy']That can be an expensive pastime!

Some people have money but no manners and style .

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='wadsy']Last night I went to Sydney's State Theatre to watch a concert by Soul legend

Al Green. I bought the ticket ages ago for $125 & I was really looking forward to

this as I have been a big fan of his since the 70's. Anyway my $125 got me a

crap seat & a performance from the Reverend Green which lasted about 70 mins

& there were no encores. He still is a fantastic singer & the band were terrific but

I felt let down by the lack of any imagination in the playlist , it was basically a

medley of his hits. The audience were clamouring for more at the end of the short set & were totally nonplussed by the absence of an encore. We deserved better!
    The problem here is that it's such a long journey and many overseas artists only come here when they're desperate! They don't bother with us until late in life when their careers are on the slide over there, so they come here under sufferance purely to make money and don't give a stuff about their Australian fans. I've seen this sort of thing happen countless times.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    The last concert I went too was Van Morrison, supported by non other than Chris Farlowe....

Most of the audience was even older than me....and were very well behaved...I suppose we're of the generation when in our younger days we sat down at rock concerts and smoked things....

Sgt S

PS Van the Man was in one of his better moods that night...

Liked
    150 times
    Just in case you were wondering what us girlies get up to on hen nights, here's my friend's daughter on Friday night:

....apparently, her "friend's" underpants are in place for decency purposes - and I remember her Mum wearing that veil 35 years ago!

She woke up at 9am screaming for water and Nurofen - and then got on a train to Brighton.

Mum went home; her 'get-up-n-go' had 'got-up-n-gone' by then!

Liked
    199 times
    On my return from shopping this afternoon, I counted 20 galahs feeding on my front lawn (they're the pink & grey ones). There was much fluttering as a lone magpie tried to chase them away, but they refused to be intimidated. Amongst the galahs were several rainbow lorikeets, also having a merry feast and oblivious to the magpie's shenanigans.

A lovely sight.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ShirlGirl']On my return from shopping this afternoon, I counted 20 galahs feeding on my front lawn (they're the pink & grey ones). There was much fluttering as a lone magpie tried to chase them away, but they refused to be intimidated. Amongst the galahs were several rainbow lorikeets, also having a merry feast and oblivious to the magpie's shenanigans.

A lovely sight.

We've got wild parakeets spreading out over south east England. They were almost certainly pets that escaped or were deliberately let go. A few of them grouped together in a few locations and they seem to thrive in our generally mild climate. Now you see quite large groups of them in some of the parks and commons.

I'd seen them in other areas for a few years but they only gathered in our area just recently. They fooled me for a while because their regular calls sound like alarm calls made by some other birds. I always looked up to see if there was a bird of prey flying around or if there was a fox on the prowl. But it was the parakeets

There are now so many of them that some people are calling for a deliberate cull. The parakeets are upsetting the normal balance of things and disturbing the indigenous population of birds, taking all their food.

Cull of the parakeets| News | This is London

BBC NEWS | Education | Wild parrots settle in suburbs

Steve

Liked
    199 times
    It's a shame, but I think you have to be callous in a situation like that. It's always a disaster when exotic species of birds get loose. Not only birds, but any flora or fauna. Our possums somehow got over to New Zealand and have been a terrible problem over there for years. We have camels and brumbies that don't belong here running wild in the outback. And we have a permanent problem with plants such as lantana and morning glory, brought over from the UK by the early settlers. It goes berserk over here and takes over the natural bushland.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ShirlGirl']It's a shame, but I think you have to be callous in a situation like that. It's always a disaster when exotic species of birds get loose. Not only birds, but any flora or fauna. Our possums somehow got over to New Zealand and have been a terrible problem over there for years. We have camels and brumbies that don't belong here running wild in the outback. And we have a permanent problem with plants such as lantana and morning glory, brought over from the UK by the early settlers. It goes berserk over here and takes over the natural bushland.
    And don't forget the damage done to indigenous Australian wildlife by domestic cats. Introducing those cane toads didn't work out too well either

Steve

Liked
    243 times
    Last year I watched as several rooks flew across the bay chasing what looked to be a kestrel. No amount of speed or agility the kestrel had could shake them loose. As gaining height was out of the question once or twice he dived low above the waves, the third time his wing caught the water, he rose a few feet above once more but then dropped again disappearing into the slight swell. Sadly he was lost from my view. There was a brief quiet moment and then the rooks flew back to their trees.

On a happier note going for a walk one evening the tide was in and high against the sea wall, gannets were diving into the water less than ten yards away. A chap walking back from the pub, slightly worse for wear, stopped to watch with me. We would watch them quiver and dive, absolutely stunning, once or twice they dived into the water so close to us we simply had to applaud. What the passing motorists thought I don't know.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Managed to do some gardening today - can't believe how the parsley is growing after that temporary deep freeze we had! Most bizarre. Some of the impatiens died, but the ones that did have new growth at the base of the plant. Glad the hibiscus and snapdragons survived.

Liked
    212 times
    Snowdrops are out in my garden....

Spring must be just around the corner........

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    name='Sgt Sunshine']Snowdrops are out in my garden....

Spring must be just around the corner........

Spring comes early in Florida, I want to plant some hyacinths next month.

Liked
    212 times
    name='torinfan']Spring comes early in Florida, I want to plant some hyacinths next month.

We are still in the grip of the harshest winter here for 30 years......

Would be nice to be in Florida again swimming with those Pelicans off Clearwater Beach.....

Ahhh pleasant memories....

Send some pics torinfan......

Cheers

Sgt S