+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I am still looking for the "Ackenthorpe Hall" from 4.50 from Paddington with Margaret Rutherford. Also seen in Danger Man (episode: The lonely chair). Anyone a good idea. If you want , you can look uo at my homepage www.margaretrutherford.com (Miss Marple Filme) where I posted my pictures taken from the locations of the 4 Miss Marple movies from the 1960s, Greets from Germany. Klaus

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nakedbiker
    Also seen in Danger Man (episode: The lonely chair).

And Alan F's image

Liked
    6 times
    Just sent to the Avengerland site by Simon Finch:
    'The house used in the DANGER MAN episode The Lonely Chair and also MURDER SHE SAID, the Margaret Rutherford film was 'Radnor Hall', in Allum Lane, Elstree; only a short distance from the MGM studios. Sadly it appears to have been demolished almost as soon as the film crews had left. There are 5 pictures of the house in the collection at Borehamwood Library which between them identify it beyond doubt. The site of the house is now a waste recycling centre run by Hertsmere Council.'

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    what do they out of destroying beautiful Buildings.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony McKay View Post
    Just sent to the Avengerland site by Simon Finch:
    'The house used in the DANGER MAN episode The Lonely Chair and also MURDER SHE SAID, the Margaret Rutherford film was 'Radnor Hall', in Allum Lane, Elstree; only a short distance from the MGM studios. Sadly it appears to have been demolished almost as soon as the film crews had left. There are 5 pictures of the house in the collection at Borehamwood Library which between them identify it beyond doubt. The site of the house is now a waste recycling centre run by Hertsmere Council.'
    IMDB says it's Oakley Court, Windsor Road, Oakley Green, Windsor. If you're sure of your facts (and I'm sure you are) then maybe I should change IMDB.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flynn View Post
    what do they out of destroying beautiful Buildings.
    a nice backhander from their friend the 1970s architect!

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinU View Post
    IMDB says it's Oakley Court, Windsor Road, Oakley Green, Windsor. If you're sure of your facts (and I'm sure you are) then maybe I should change IMDB.
    Definitely not Oakley Court. Although there is a resemblance, Oakley Court is far more ornate. This is clear from the picture on their website, but to be sure I went & had a look. Walked right round the outside & there is no way it could have been used as Ackenthorpe Hall. The drive approach is at the wrong angle too & while the Ackenthorpe house is approached up a slight hill, the Oakley Court site is almost flat with a slight slope down to the river (to the left of the main entrance). The drive & the lie of the land are right at Radnor Hall. I think there are some surviving trees too.

I am sure that the pictures in Borehamwood Library & Ackenthorpe Hall are the same place & these are all captioned Radnor Hall. There is always the slight possibility that they have been miscaptioned though & there are some minor inconsistencies between maps & descriptions of Radnor Hall, & the pictures at the library.

So I'm 100% sure that Ackenthorpe Hall is not Oakley Court, 100% sure that the house pictured at Borehamwood Library is the one used as Ackenthorpe Hall & 99% sure that this house was Radnor Hall.

I hope to clear up these slight doubts soon & am waiting for permission from the owners to post the pictures.

Simon Finch

Member Country: Great Britain Lustgarten's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    You're definitely right, Simon - certainly not Oakley Court (famed for its use in countless Hammer films etc).

Quite agree with Flynn, as well. The replacement of a fine nineteenth century house like this with a household recycling site beggars belief!

Best

Lustgarten

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon59 View Post
    So I'm 100% sure that Ackenthorpe Hall is not Oakley Court, 100% sure that the house pictured at Borehamwood Library is the one used as Ackenthorpe Hall & 99% sure that this house was Radnor Hall.
    OK. I've added Radnor Hall for Murder She Said and the Danger Man episode, and that information has been published. Since you are certain that Oakley Court was not used, I'll now delete that.

Liked
    6 times
    I'm certain that it is not Oakley Court, and I'm quite happy to back up Simon's suggestion.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony McKay View Post
    I'm certain that it is not Oakley Court, and I'm quite happy to back up Simon's suggestion.
    Now 100% certain about Radnor Hall. On Friday I saw a letter from MGM to Elstree Council (the owners) asking for permission to film there for 6 days in a 12 week period from 30/1/1961, for a film ‘Meet Miss Marple’, presumably a working title. They also asked permission to repair windows & hang curtains at them to make it looked ‘lived in’ & to use the interior as a staff canteen & actors’ dressing rooms. It seems likely that the lions outside the front door & the fountain were added too as they don’t appear in the Danger Man footage shot the previous year. They paid the council £50 for the permission.

The house was demolished in the spring of 1962, initially to make way for a caravan park. The stables (were these used as the outbuildings in the scene where Miss Maple is searching for the body?) survived until around 1973. If they shot over 6 days surely they must have done more that the scenes in front of the house itself.

Member Country: Great Britain Lustgarten's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting stuff Simon: thank you for unearthing that!

It will add a new perspective the next time I'm watching Murder She Said.

Junior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lustgarten View Post
    Interesting stuff Simon: thank you for unearthing that!

It will add a new perspective the next time I'm watching Murder She Said.
    I had a long talk to Ronnie Raymond on Feb. 4th this year - look at my pictures (www.margaretrutherford.com under the link "wußtest Du schon/News").
    He is quite sure, that the golf scenes of "Murder she said" were taken near Linslade Bridge (Hertfordshired border). In these scenes you see Ackenthorpe Hall in the back. He remembers also that a train line was nearby, when they shot the golf scene in Murder she said. I took already a walk between Cheddington and Bridego-Bridge (train robbery) along the railway. I will talk the other half from Lindslade to Bridego Bridge soon...Maybe I can find out something. Are there any pictures of Radnor Hall, before it was torn down in 1962? Is the front we can see when Miss Marple walks towards the building the same building as we see the rear-Entrance with the lions? I Know: Questions about questions? Hugs to all of you froom germany. Rule Britannia! Klaus

Liked
    0 times
    I have 6 pictures of Radnor Hall before demolition. Undated but probably from the 1920s & 30s. I don't have permission to post them here but can post them to another site with a link from here. I will do this when I can, before Christmas I hope. Everyone who's seen them is in no doubt that it is Ackenthorpe Hall, even without the letter from MGM. All the shots of the house used in the film are the same side (North East) but there may have been some use of the outbuildings too. Incidentally one of the pictures is of the garden front, (not used in Murder She Said) it shows that side of the house to be remarkably similar to that used in Margaret Rutherford's earlier film Blithe Spirit. They are not exactly the same but very much in the same style. I wonder if this may have influenced the choice of location?

The scenes where Margaret Rutherford & Ronnie Raymond are looking for the golf ball could well have been shot at a different location as the house is not visible but where she drives the ball from is definitely Radnor Hall. Does Ronnie Raymond remember the final scene, where the car drives away with 'Just married' on the back? He's standing right next to the front wall of the house in that one.

Simon.

Junior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    mistermarple: I am very interested to find out where Ronnie Raymond is today. Can you shed some light and how one might communicate with him?