+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Apologies if this has been posted before - just seen on Amazon that Miss Frasers' autobigraphy -"Adventures of a Carry On Girl" is due for publication on 10 October 2011.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    liz does not live far from me i have local paper clipping of her do you want me to put it up on here tomorrow ?

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdman View Post
    liz does not live far from me i have local paper clipping of her do you want me to put it up on here tomorrow ?
    dvdman, that would be great if you could, many thanks.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I can't wait for this as I've been a big fan of Liz's for many years. Many years ago, I wrote to her and got a signed photo with personnal message which I still treasure to this day :)

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I'll definitely buy this. Should an excellent read

I think I'll hang fire until about a month before publication and see what the competition is selling it for

I hope she does some signings

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Any predictions about the kind of 'tone'? I only know her through her work, so I have no idea what she's like as a person, or what aspects of her life she'll want to play up or down? Do you think it'll be s straight chronology keeping things polite troughout, or will there be dirt to dish? Or will it be something like Bob Dylan's Chronicles - a confusing tongue in cheek look back at - if I may quote Kenny Everett's immortal Quentin Pseud - everything, and yet nothing. I realise this last idea is unlikely, but how do you think she'll approach the retelling of her life?
    Last edited by Rowdon; 19-05-11 at 07:33 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Any predictions about the kind of 'tone'? I only know her through her work, so I have no idea what she's like as a person, or what aspects of her life she'll want to play up or down? Do you think it'll be s straight chronology keeping things polite troughout, or will there be dirt to dish? Or will it be something like Bob Dylan's Chronicles - a confusing tongue in cheek look back at - if I may quote Kenny Everett's immortal Quentin Pseud - everything, and yet nothing. I realise this last idea is unlikely, but how do you think she'll approach the retelling of her life?

Presumably she's done what most celebs do and spent a few afternoons in the company of a ghost-writer and a tape-recorder

Liked
    0 times
    Here we go as promised

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Presumably she's done what most celebs do and spent a few afternoons in the company of a ghost-writer and a tape-recorder
    The co-writer on this occasion is Robert Ross. His previous work in this genre is listed here:-

Robert Ross - Books

Liked
    150 times
    Liz is a very 'sparky' person - she used to write a lot of amusing letters to a national newspaper. She could probably have written her own book but, perhaps, needed the discipline of an experienced writer to keep her focused.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    You'll get a sample of whats to come if you buy Carry on Cabby, here she is interviewed by Robert Ross in the commentry section where she talks about her career. For instance she don't talk highly of "The Painted Smile" which I thought was quite good myself.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman View Post
    The co-writer on this occasion is Robert Ross. His previous work in this genre is listed here:-

Robert Ross - Books

Thanks - it's always good to know who the ghost-writer is (and I'd be interested to know of any celeb autobiographies of recent years that don't have one). A recent one I very much enjoyed was June Whitfield's which I recently disovered was written by Christopher Douglas, well-known to Radio 4 listeners as Ed Reardon and Dave Podmore

Re-opening the grouse season - Times Online

Senior Member Country: England sidney bliss's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times
    Liz does have a very negative few of The Carry On Films and some people involved in these films - Peter Rogers and Jack Douglas to name but 2 - but she always liked Sid, who doesn't. She also owns a Bassett Hound which seems to growl at the very mention of Peter Rogers!

Liked
    4 times
    i have the pleasure of having known liz for many years and she has some very strong and frank views which i hope find their way into the book. her career has covered an amazing amount of british comedy films. i look forward to reading it. sadly i have heard from two film stars of the 1950s and 60s who can't find a publisher interested in publishing their autobiographies yet they starred in famous movies and alongside big names . great pity

Senior Member Country: England wideboy's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Although Amazon are still listing this as having been published yesterday, the website of Signum Books (the publisher) says it will now appear in Autumn 2012. And there's no mention of it on Robert Ross's website.

Anyone know anything?

Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman View Post

Robert Ross - Books

Oh him! The bloke she was flirting with on the Carry on Cabby dvd commentary!

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy_Lea View Post
    Oh him! The bloke she was flirting with on the Carry on Cabby dvd commentary!
    I really have no idea about that.

Liked
    3 times
    Has anyone read this,is it any good and is it still available? Amazon list it as unavailable as do various other sites.

Senior Member Country: England sidney bliss's Avatar
    Liked
    48 times
    Yet to be released i'm afraid. . A heavily revised edition is not due until the Autumn.