+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Awakening

Liked
    151 times
    Looks a promising supernatural chiller featuring Rebecca Hall (very good in The Town).

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    I'm looking forward to watching this and 'The Woman in Black',I haven't been inspired to visit the cinema for years and all of a sudden two reasons come along at the same time!

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    It looks very good.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Great cast, looks good. Rebecca Hall is always brilliant in everything she does. I agree with the journalist in The Guardian who said the writer of One Day. clearly had her in mind when writing the part of Emma - but instead Hollywood insisted we got Anne Hathaway. And down the proverbial plughole it's gone....

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Released on 11 November. The trailer looks good and it's written by Stephen Volk, who wrote Ghostwatch on the BBC in the 90s, so it could be interesting.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    Released on 11 November. The trailer looks good and it's written by Stephen Volk, who wrote Ghostwatch on the BBC in the 90s, so it could be interesting.
    The man is in my bad books for inspiring Yvette Fielding to put down her sticky back tape and toilet roll tubes.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Watched it last night. Good work from Staunton, Hall and West but having seen other ghost flicks I guessed the twist. Nice start and ending but goes a bit in the middle.

Liked
    100 times
    Yes,I enjoyed it,a decent british period ghost story with a british cast set in britain starring Rebecca Hall-it couldn't fail in my eyes!

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it.A good old fashioned ghost story without the gallons of gore or "found footage" which seems to be the only avenue Hollywood wants to explore ghost story-wise.

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by woody123 View Post
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it.A good old fashioned ghost story without the gallons of gore or "found footage" which seems to be the only avenue Hollywood wants to explore ghost story-wise.
    Yes-I couldn't agree more! Hollywood is as bad at ghost stories as the british are at gangster films.

Banned Country: North Korea
    Liked
    195 times
    Very effective chiller - more "interesting" that terrifying, I found, but there were at least two good jolts.

There was some unnecessary nudity/naughty business, IMHO. Maybe, I'm just getting old. Rebbecca West is absolutely gorgeous in this - luminous. I like her sceptic (ish) ghost huntress, a character that could form the basis of a series.

Much taken with the weird handy-man figure played by Joseph Mawle - last saw him in Red Riding - could be destined for great things.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Great start and held promise, but as the plot was expounded upon, it started to drift. When you start to look at your watch several times, with not much going on, you know it has lost your attention.