+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Radio 4

Member Country: England
    Liked
    10 times
    I don't wish to sound square, but try as I might, I just can't find anything to rival BBC Radio 4. It truly is a unique experience and a novelty to be able to tune in to a channel, in this day and age, that is free of; commercial ads, low-brow humour and insincerity. It's completely reliable, educational and even when I fail to fully comprehend subject matters, topics and discussions, it still sounds like poetry to the ears. I go to bed with it and I wake up listening to it, and if the truth be told, I can't get enough of it. Is there anything remotely like it on any platform over any media format?

Poppy.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    BBC4...

Smudge

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Its the only radio station I listen to.....not even local radio can tempt me away...

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    BBC4...

Smudge
    BBC4 is Radio 4 with pictures

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy-Hopkins View Post
    I don't wish to sound square, but try as I might, I just can't find anything to rival BBC Radio 4. It truly is a unique experience and a novelty to be able to tune in to a channel, in this day and age, that is free of; commercial ads, low-brow humour and insincerity. It's completely reliable, educational and even when I fail to fully comprehend subject matters, topics and discussions, it still sounds like poetry to the ears. I go to bed with it and I wake up listening to it, and if the truth be told, I can't get enough of it. Is there anything remotely like it on any platform over any media format?

Poppy.
    Sometimes a bit too much news and current affairs what with the extended World at One and there's always the dreadful You and Yours with an hour wasted that could be summed up by the phrase "Caveat emptor" and that serially uninteresting sociologist, Laurie Taylor with Thinking Allowed.

But even with those, it is still the best radio station in the world, by a country mile, and often wins awards to acknowledge that.

With the broad range of subjects covered, at least one play every day, new comedy (doesn't always work), panel shows and quizzes that nobody takes too seriously, even those taking part in the most intellectual ones and many other things including lots of quirky little things that just don't fit into any category and would never get an airing on any other medium. It'll do for me

Steve

Member Country: England
    Liked
    10 times
    Well said Steve.

Poppy.

Banned Country: North Korea
    Liked
    195 times
    Well said Steve.

Poppy.
    Not!

Laurie Taylor is a god, and his show is called Thinking Allowed.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    Not!

Laurie Taylor is a god, and his show is called Thinking Allowed.
    There were a few letters missing when you said he is a good for nothing.

As for the show it should be called "No Original Thinking Allowed" or, as it's on the radio and we hear the title, maybe it should be "Random Incoherent Thinking Aloud"

No, I'm not a fan. I often wonder what hold he has over someone at Radio 4 to force them to let him broadcast it

Steve

Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    There were a few letters missing when you said he is a good for nothing.

As for the show it should be called "No Original Thinking Allowed" or, as it's on the radio and we hear the title, maybe it should be "Random Incoherent Thinking Aloud"

No, I'm not a fan. I often wonder what hold he has over someone at Radio 4 to force them to let him broadcast it

Steve
    I respect you even less for that reply. If that is possible.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    BBC4 is Radio 4 with pictures

Steve
    Yes and we are going to get Just A Minute next year in yet another attempt to visualise it - won't improve it IMHO

Liked
    151 times
    Is there anything remotely like it on any platform over any media format?
    Radio 4 Xtra

Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    Yes and we are going to get Just A Minute next year in yet another attempt to visualise it - won't improve it IMHO
    But it will be startling to see just how old Nicholas Parsons is these days, God bless him.

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    But it will be startling to see just how old Nicholas Parsons is these days, God bless him.
    I saw him on TV recently in the documentary about Sid Field, of course he does look older but still very spry.
    Last edited by RogerThornhill; 07-11-11 at 12:02 PM.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    Radio 4 is simply superb in my opinion.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Also saw Nicholas Parsons on a recent BBC 4 programme "Me And Arthur Haynes" (with Paul Merton) and Mr Sale Of The Century still looked dapper and youthful enough.
    Very unassuming and still quick humoured and charming.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerThornhill View Post
    I saw him on TV recently in the documentary about Sid Field, of course he does look older but still very spry.

Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
    Also saw Nicholas Parsons on a recent BBC 4 programme "Me And Arthur Haynes" (with Paul Merton) and Mr Sale Of The Century still looked dapper and youthful enough.
    Very unassuming and still quick humoured and charming.
    He is indeed amazing!

My comment was based only on the fact that, although I have listened to him for years now, it is a very long time since I'd seen him - in my mind (and I imagine those of many viewers) he is still about sixty.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Graeme,
    That's the mental image I had before I watched the programme but Parsons, it turns out, is wearing well as they say and is one of the last of the old school who still has a good trove of anecdotes from stage and screen to share from the golden age.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    He is indeed amazing!

My comment was based only on the fact that, although I have listened to him for years now, it is a very long time since I'd seen him - in my mind (and I imagine those of many viewers) he is still about sixty.
    I saw him in his one man show at the Harrogate Comedy Festival last month and he did 2 hours on his own (plus the inevitable signing session at the end) on his feet. Wonderful ractoneur and still bright as a button. Didn't look at my watch once. He is indeed amazing.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    It didn't help last time they tried it, but that was on ITV

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK RogerThornhill's Avatar
    Liked
    67 times
    I did a little bit of research on him and I was very surprised to find out that he is 88.