+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Tuesday 24th January, at NFT1, following a screening of Whistle Down the Wind, and a post-screening interview, Bryan will receive this deserved honour.

Liked
    137 times
    Yes a well desereves accolade for Mr Forbes

Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Should be followed by a Knighthood !.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Here, here - and not before time

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Excellent news, he did a question and answer courtesy of Britmovie member Rennie a couple of years ago. A lovely chap.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Both Bryan Forbes and Lewis Gilbert should have been knighted years ago, long before some of the charlatans that have bought them!

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park View Post
    Both Bryan Forbes and Lewis Gilbert should have been knighted years ago, long before some of the charlatans that have bought them!
    Yes, and not that I'm accusing Mick Jagger of buying anything, but as much as I admire his career it does seem incredible that he gets the honour denied to Forbesy and Lewis. However, I said all this regarding the late John Barry, and doubtless there are others equally deserving who will also miss out.

Actually, Bryan has more chance of getting it under the current government than he did during the Labour years. He was not exacly a fan of the latter and they probably knew!

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Actually, Bryan has more chance of getting it under the current government than he did during the Labour years. He was not exacly a fan of the latter and they probably knew!
    As a matter of fact he got his CBE during the Blair government. The Conservatives, despite his services to them, gave him nothing. I have my doubts that the current government will honour him with a KBE as his profile isn't high enough nowadays.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Have booked for this and looking forward to seeing Whistle Down The Wind on the big screen. Somehow his other films haven't been at quite the same level - they've been good, but not great. Having said that I believe he deserves the accolades being pushed his way via the BFI Fellowship.

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    As a matter of fact he got his CBE during the Blair government. The Conservatives, despite his services to them, gave him nothing. I have my doubts that the current government will honour him with a KBE as his profile isn't high enough nowadays.
    That's really my point, if he had been seen as "one of us" I think he would have been knighted during the Blair/Brown government. Others were.

You might be right about his profile, though I believe other factors come into play like how long ago did he get the CBE, how many KBE candidates are there etc.. It seems crazy that there should be a limit - if a person is considered deserving of an honour, give it, don't say "only 50 are allowed at a time," or whatever. It's not as though it costs very much in these days of austerity!

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    Have booked for this and looking forward to seeing Whistle Down The Wind on the big screen. Somehow his other films haven't been at quite the same level - they've been good, but not great. Having said that I believe he deserves the accolades being pushed his way via the BFI Fellowship.
    Oh. I think films like The Whisperers and Seance on a Wet Afternoon are every bit as good as Whistle Down the Wind! King Rat was another excellent picture, maybe not "great" in the way that a "Colonel Blimp" was, but it's all relative.

Talking of King Rat, I note the Yesterday TV channel are screening it on Christmas Day!

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Thanks so much for spotting that - I have never seen King Rat so will definitely take a look.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    Will Emma be there?

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy_Lea View Post
    Will Emma be there?
    Will Lord Dick be there ? it will be his first public appearance since his injury 3 years ago if he does.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Will Lord Dick be there ? it will be his first public appearance since his injury 3 years ago if he does.

Oh, what injury? I missed that.

I hope the BFI films the event and puts it up on their website.

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theuofc View Post
    Oh, what injury? I missed that.

I hope the BFI films the event and puts it up on their website.
    RD sadly had a fall and suffered brain injuries leading to him largely withdrawing from public life. He is quite lucid - I heard him on The Last Word talking about Richard Todd a few years ago - but now needs a wheelchair according to his brother.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    RD sadly had a fall and suffered brain injuries leading to him largely withdrawing from public life. He is quite lucid - I heard him on The Last Word talking about Richard Todd a few years ago - but now needs a wheelchair according to his brother.
    I'm sad to hear it. Thank you, Windy.

Liked
    5 times
    Tuesday 24th January, at NFT1, following a screening of Whistle Down the Wind, and a post-screening interview, Bryan will receive this deserved honour.
    Just received this from the BFI. Hopefully Bryan will soon be feeling better:

I am emailing to update you on the above event scheduled for Tuesday 24 January 18:20 in NFT1

Sadly, Bryan Forbes does not feel well enough to accept the BFI Fellowship on stage but we very much hope that he will join us in the audience during the evening. However, following the screening of Whistle Down the Wind, we will be showing an exclusive interview with Simon Callow, which was filmed at Bryan's home this week, and Bryan's daughters will accept the BFI Fellowship on his behalf from BFI Chair Greg Dyke.

Liked
    44 times
    Just received this from the BFI. Hopefully Bryan will soon be feeling better:

I am emailing to update you on the above event scheduled for Tuesday 24 January 18:20 in NFT1

Sadly, Bryan Forbes does not feel well enough to accept the BFI Fellowship on stage but we very much hope that he will join us in the audience during the evening. However, following the screening of Whistle Down the Wind, we will be showing an exclusive interview with Simon Callow, which was filmed at Bryan's home this week, and Bryan's daughters will accept the BFI Fellowship on his behalf from BFI Chair Greg Dyke.
    I'll second that - get well soon Forbesy
    Last edited by Windthrop; 19-01-12 at 12:22 AM.