+ Reply to Thread
    Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey guys.

I know its defined as when the sound we are hearing is from something different than that which we are seeing. eg we see a picture of a woman screaming but we hear a kettle boiling instead. I seen someone label it the same as 'contrapuntal sound' however which (in my eyes) is when we are hearing something different than that which we expect because of the images. eg we see a happy family but we hear really tense music. Are these the same thing? Could you help me with some famous examples of asynchronous sounds in film?

Thanks

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    It is a method of transitioning you into the next scene. Anne Coates, the editor, suggested the idea to David Lean on "Lawrence of Arabia" an idea of preceding or overlapping audio ahead of the picture cut. She had apparently seen this idea used in numerous French films. Lean liked the idea and used it several times in the film to great effect. One example was the scene at the Suez Canal when the motorcyclist shouts "Who are you?" (which I heard was Lean's voice!). We then cut to Lawrence' face and an audio effect of a ringing bell is on the soundtrack. Due to the timing, before the audience has had a chance to analyze what has happened we cut to a busy noisy street. "Lawrence" may not claim to be the first, but is the first film that I recall experiencing it and a variation on it, including the use of dialog from the following scene, has been used by many directors and editors since as a way of hiding the effect of picture cuts unless they want the audience to notice it for shock value. It was originally described as a 'French cut'.
    This may not answer your question, but I feel that the origins of what you're describing started here.
    Last edited by Stephen Pickard; 21-03-12 at 07:01 PM. Reason: update

Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply. What you are describing sounds like a sound bridge to me ie the noise is used to move from one shot to another. Is that the same as asynchronous sound? My understanding was that if the noise we are hearing would never be seen then it's asynchronous.

Banned Country: North Korea
    Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pickard View Post
    It is a method of transitioning you into the next scene. Anne Coates, the editor, suggested the idea to David Lean on "Lawrence of Arabia" an idea of preceding or overlapping audio ahead of the picture cut. She had apparently seen this idea used in numerous French films. Lean liked the idea and used it several times in the film to great effect. One example was the scene at the Suez Canal when the motorcyclist shouts "Who are you?" (which I heard was Lean's voice!). We then cut to Lawrence' face and an audio effect of a ringing bell is on the soundtrack. Due to the timing, before the audience has had a chance to analyze what has happened we cut to a busy noisy street. "Lawrence" may not claim to be the first, but is the first film that I recall experiencing it and a variation on it, including the use of dialog from the following scene, has been used by many directors and editors since as a way of hiding the effect of picture cuts unless they want the audience to notice it for shock value. It was originally described as a 'French cut'.
    This may not answer your question, but I feel that the origins of what you're describing started here.
    The Graduate went a step further and had actual dialogue from the next scene heard whilst the images of the preceding scene are still on screen... Achieved some odd effects with that.