+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Titanic - Minute by Minute
    BBC Radio2 ... Saturday 14th/Sunday 15th April 2012 ... 11.35-2.30am

Jeremy Vine, Dermot O'Leary, Penny Smith and guests mark the moment the Titanic floundered and eventually sank on the still, freezing cold night of 14th/15th April 1912, exactly 100 years ago. The story is set to a soundtrack of live music, reflecting the band of musicians who valiantly played on until they were silenced by the water.

As the Titanic sank it was to a surreal soundtrack of popular songs. While the boats were lowered, Alexander's Ragtime Band echoed around the decks and over the water. Because the ship's engines had stopped and the night was so still ... the music could be heard over a mile away.

Now, BBC Radio2 offers a completely new take on one of the most infamous disasters in history, using the music of the ship's orchestra as a framework around which to build a powerful narrative which takes the audience through the events of the night, minute by minute, in real time as the tragic events occurred between 11.40 and 2.30am on Saturday 14th/Sunday 15th April 1912.

Jeremy Vine, Dermot O'Leary and Penny Smith talk to Titanic experts about why the ship sank and how the reaction of some of those on board demonstrated a code of honour very different to our own. Half an hour after the Titanic struck the iceberg, the band was asked by the ship's captain to play to keep the passengers calm.

According to a steward they ran for their instruments and were laughed at by some members of the crew who didn't realise how bad the situation was. What they performed as the ship sank is a fascinating snapshot of British and American tastes - two societies who were increasingly sharing musical styles, thanks to the increased travel between the Old and New World.

As the programme draws to a close, listeners will hear the moving eyewitness accounts of the ship disappearing beneath the waves to a poignant new string arrangement of Nearer My God to Thee.

Presenters: Jeremy Vine, Dermot O’Leary and Penny Smith.
    Source: BBC Media Centre

I think Titanic - Minute by Minute promises to be one of the most inventive and poignant programmes on the tragedy, broadcast precisely 100 years on - in real time ... to very the hour - on radio or television.
    Emma

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Thanks Mrs Emma

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    This sounds really exciting. I've often pondered on that time period and the extreme contrast in the circumstances at the point when the Titanic hit the iceberg and when it finally sank - how at 11.35 all would have seemed well, passengers settling down for the night, feeling totally secure on an unsinkable ship, on a calm and stable sea, manned by a professional and capable crew, lead by a mature and experienced captain, and how less than 3 hours later - it was all gone. I will definitely make the effort to catch this programme.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    I do hope we see it over here...John

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I have been listening to most of it. It has been brilliant.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B View Post
    I have been listening to most of it. It has been brilliant.
    Ta Ta
    Marky B
    An incredibly moving, well-researched programme - which included Jonathan Smith, a Britmovie member ...
    I was mesmerized and moved to tears ... God Bless all those souls who perished 100 years ago.
    Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 15-04-12 at 03:19 AM.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Llewellyn Moxey View Post
    I do hope we see it over here...John

You can listen here for the next few days John

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ute_By_Minute/

be patient as it picks up the tail end of the preceding programme for a while.
    Last edited by Arfur Teacake; 15-04-12 at 08:57 PM.

Senior Member Country: England John Llewellyn Moxey's Avatar
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake View Post
    You can listen here for the next few days John

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ute_By_Minute/

be patient as it picks up the tail end of the preceding programme for a while.
    Thank you, very much....John

Senior Member Country: UK Jonathan Smith's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_emma_peel View Post
    An incredibly moving, well-researched programme - which included Jonathan Smith, a Britmovie member ...
    I was mesmerized and moved to tears ... God Bless all those souls who perished 100 years ago.
    Emma
    Thank you Mrs EM

Liked
    0 times
    I had a wonderful time, if that's the right wording considering what the subject was. I could not have been in better company that night. Listening back, I do sound a little nervous. It did become very emotional at times, even for the presenters. When Bella Hardy started to sing 'Nearer My God to Thee', it never failed to move us. In the same studio, just feet away from us were the band and to my right were where the guest artists were. The rehersals were mixed, serious at times, but joking to break up the run of things.

Here are a few photos I snapped during rehersals.

My pass. . . .

From left to right - Jeremy Vine (presenter) Tim Maltin (author) me (Jonathan Smith) Andrew Wilson (author) Steve Turner (author) Peggy Smith (presenter). Dermot O'Leary is taking the picture.

The band rehearse

View from my seat. Dermot O'Leary (left) and Jeremy Vine (right)

Bella Hardy rehearses 'Nearer My God to Thee' as a member of the production crew films the show. The whole show was actually filmed.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Thanks for the behind the scenes photos, Jonathon. Downloaded this broadcast and looking forward to seeing this.
    (Oops - should have said "Hearing this"!)
    Last edited by Edward G; 23-04-12 at 11:30 PM.

Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Smith View Post
    Thank you Mrs EM
    My pleasure Jonathan
    Wonderful photos of the superb programme - I thought you were brilliant - the real-time mix of documentary and music was perfect ... so very moving.

I've also just managed to obtain the rare widescreen 2007 Network release version -
    including your splendid collection - in the extras section - of Raise The Titanic.
    Best wishes,
    Emma
    Last edited by mrs_emma_peel; 24-04-12 at 06:52 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs_emma_peel View Post
    My pleasure Jonathan
    Wonderful photos of the superb programme - I thought you were brilliant - the real-time mix of documentary and music was perfect ... so very moving.
    I've also just managed to obtain the rare widescreen 2007 Network release version -
    including your splendid collection - in the extras section - of Raise The Titanic.
    Best wishes,
    Emma
    I approached Network again in Feb this year and handed them a detailed paper on my idea of a Raise the Titanic 'special edition' using my collection and where to obtain some period documentaries on the film. They liked the idea, but are waiting a bit longer to mull things over. They did go as far as collecting my material and shifting through it to see what they could use. Fingers crossed they will go ahead with one. The current 2007 release is now discontinued because their stock went up in flames last year in the London riots.