+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    94 times
    Just noticed that BBC4 are showing Parky interviewing David Niven starting in about two minutes. Wasn't in my TV guide. Get your skates on !!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    Just noticed that BBC4 are showing Parky interviewing David Niven starting in about two minutes. Wasn't in my TV guide. Get your skates on !!!
    It's a repeat

Yes, I know it's a repeat of when it was originally shown (in 1972 & 1975), but it's also a repeat of when the same set of highlights from the Parkinson show was shown a few years ago (in 1995) and it's also a repeat of when it was shown on BBC4 a few days ago (Sat 21 April)
    It's available on their iPlayer for another month - along with all the other highlights from the series.

Parky gives a little introduction and then shows some highlights from his interviews with the person/people that are the subject of each highlights show.

Steve

Liked
    94 times
    He's got an interview with Richard Burton on Saturday night. I don't think I've seen that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    It's a repeat

Yes, I know it's a repeat of when it was originally shown (in 1972 & 1975), but it's also a repeat of when the same set of highlights from the Parkinson show was shown a few years ago (in 1995) and it's also a repeat of when it was shown on BBC4 a few days ago (Sat 21 April)
    It's available on their iPlayer for another month - along with all the other highlights from the series.

Parky gives a little introduction and then shows some highlights from his interviews with the person/people that are the subject of each highlights show.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I saw all these in 1995 but it is great to see them cropping up again. I'd love to see a proper collection of Parkinson interviews - the Talk at the BBC show which was on recently showed some fascinating snippets. I understand the DVD best of that came out is rather disappointing.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    The Niven ones are superb because he was a true ractoneur - not like the lethargic soundbite merchants that pass for chat show guests now. Sadly I can remember seeing the last Niven interview in the 80s when many people thought he was drunk, but tragically had motor neurone disease.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    The Niven ones are superb because he was a true ractoneur - not like the lethargic soundbite merchants that pass for chat show guests now. Sadly I can remember seeing the last Niven interview in the 80s when many people thought he was drunk, but tragically had motor neurone disease.
    Indeed he was - like Peter Ustinov,great storytellers!
    Ta Ta
    Marky B

Senior Member Country: England Laura Jesson's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Why the hell don't they just show the Parkinson series as they were originally broadcast. Would be a brilliant series, but no we are only allowed clips with talking heads sticking their uninteresting bits in.

Liked
    94 times
    According to Parky lots of them were wiped off including some with great stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Jesson View Post
    Why the hell don't they just show the Parkinson series as they were originally broadcast. Would be a brilliant series, but no we are only allowed clips with talking heads sticking their uninteresting bits in.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Jesson View Post
    Agreed. It seems an increasing trend to have celebs and cultural historians giving their input presumably because the broadcaster thinks we need to have things explained to us because we are too stupid to understand. They end up paraphrasing each other and labouring the point - I find it infuriating