+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: United States MonicaMC's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I have a cousin in the USAF stationed in Newmarket. He's getting married in mid- or late-June -- he and the bride-to-be are getting married in their (and my) Illinois hometown, but they are going back to Newmarket afterwards. (I don't even want to think about how expensive this wedding must be -- she's living in the UK also.)

It stands to reason that an actual object of any size is going to be a bit of a annoyance to get back to England, but I want to be a little unique rather than getting them a regular cheque or Visa gift card. Sooo, are there any stores that might be useful and amenable to getting a gift certificate for a young couple? For some reason the chain stores are eluding my memory, aside from Waterstone's (but of course that's books) and Harrod's (riiight!). Another thought was Printemps -- they're bound to go to Paris soon, I would think -- he proposed to her on top of the Eiffel Tower.

Other bright ideas are welcome also!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MonicaMC View Post
    I have a cousin in the USAF stationed in Newmarket. He's getting married in mid- or late-June -- he and the bride-to-be are getting married in their (and my) Illinois hometown, but they are going back to Newmarket afterwards. (I don't even want to think about how expensive this wedding must be -- she's living in the UK also.)

It stands to reason that an actual object of any size is going to be a bit of a annoyance to get back to England, but I want to be a little unique rather than getting them a regular cheque or Visa gift card. Sooo, are there any stores that might be useful and amenable to getting a gift certificate for a young couple? For some reason the chain stores are eluding my memory, aside from Waterstone's (but of course that's books) and Harrod's (riiight!). Another thought was Printemps -- they're bound to go to Paris soon, I would think -- he proposed to her on top of the Eiffel Tower.

Other bright ideas are welcome also!
    There aren't many posh shops like Printemps or Horrids in Newmarket - there are too many racehorses. But there are some very nice shops in Cambridge, or even in London which is only about 50 miles away. Focus on what they want rather than what is nearby.

If you want to be original rather than just going for something that they have actually asked for, what about a balloon ride?
    He's in the USAF, is she? Are either of them pilots? If they're normally on the ground then a balloon ride could be a nice change, even if they're used to flying in jets & noisy helicopters, a balloon ride could be a nice change.

Balloon flights in Suffolk

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    https://www.voucherexpress.co.uk/Vou...rtificate.aspx

Apparently 6% of vouchers purchased in the UK never get redeemed due to being lost or forgotten about - a nice little earner for the Stores. No wonder they seem to be for sale every place you go these days.