+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Adams

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    One of my favourite actors of the seventies was Tom Adams.

He played Mr Guy Marshall in Emergency Ward 10,an intern in The Great Escape and he was the James Bond type agent Charles Vine in the entertaining spoofs Licence to Kill and Where the Bullets Fly.

In the seventies,he came to television in the BBC series Spytrap,Daniel Fogarty in the Ondein Line and Dr Guy Wallman in General Hospital. He also played a detective in the Enigma Files,as well as being the voice over for espionage based game show presented by William Franklyn (I can't remember the title).

I believe he played opposite the future 007 Pierce Brosnan in Remington Steele. What is Tom Adams doing now? Is he based in the USA,or is he still acting over here?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    Last seen in an episide of BBC's "CASUALTY" as a Doctor. Gone a bit gray but still looking good for a man in his 60's. For a time he was the frontman for a long running ad campaign, carpets and furniture me thinks. I used to like "THE ENIGMA FILES" (1980) which he starred in with Sharon Maughan, who's married to Trevor Eve, it was a good little show about a department that reopened unsolved cases. 20 years later "WAKING THE DEAD" turns up on the BBC. Trevor Eve stars as a policeman running a department that reopens unsolved cases.

Liked
    0 times
    Tom Adams who you are asking about was once my school-teacher :)

at a secondary school in Poplar, East London during the years 1960-65

he worked as an english teacher obviously between roles I think now.

He confiscated my book on Marlon Brando during one lesson (when i was supposed to be reading the classics and never gave it back if you read this Mr Adams :)

Liked
    150 times
    And there was me thinking I was alone!

I had a fantastic A4 B&W autographed photo of Tom. I'd put it in a photo album - which I've lost in a work move!

It is no coincidence that my son is called Tom - as I saw TA coming out of a cinema in the West End when I was pregnant. The funny thing is that I recently discovered one of his favourite films is The Great Escape - no influence from me either!

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    As far as I am aware, Tom Adams is still UK based - he lives in Holyport, Nr. Bray, Berks.

SMUDGE

Liked
    0 times
    One of Tom Adams' lesser known credits was as one of the leads in an early 8os video series called Bid For Power which was desigend for foreign students learning English - I used it endlessly for a couple of years when I was a teacher. It had a cast of familiar faces including Jan ( Howard's Way ) Harvey, Gareth Hunt, Michael Aldridge, Edward de Souza and several UK based American character actors like Ryan Michael ( Tom's rival loved interest ) Bruce Boa and David Healey. I used the damn thing so often I knew most of the dialogue by heart and could probably still recite bits of it now ( aaaaarrrggghhh ).

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I seem to remember that for many years TA appeared on TV adverts for a furniture store before being dropped. Great voice but no real acting talent.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Windthrop']I seem to remember that for many years TA appeared on TV adverts for a furniture store before being dropped. Great voice but no real acting talent.

He may not have been a great actor but Tom Adams was very effective in many supporting roles and in the odd lead. I particularly enjoyed his series The Enigma Files.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember watching those furniture ads at uni years ago - they were for DFS and I can recall his rich voice proudly claiming 'Free delivery!' They were incredibly cheesy.

I also recall a risque advert for Honda in the 90's shown in Australia I think.

A woman in a Honda who drives up beside her husband (Adams in another Honda) hides her toy boy lover by reclining his seat. When she drives off, her secret hidden, a young man in a cowboy hat who has been reclined in Adam's car appears beside him! Anyone seen this? Probably find it on youtube!

Liked
    150 times
    name='jacobean']I remember watching those furniture ads at uni years ago - they were for DFS and I can recall his rich voice proudly claiming 'Free delivery!' They were incredibly cheesy.

Is that Sale still finishing on Sunday? They never did say WHICH Sunday, did they?

He made a couple of Bond spoof films as well. Not brilliant, but OK for late night when your brain's winding down! I can't help but like him and, as I've said before, my son's called Tom. I also liked 'The Enigma Files'.

I also have a large-ish B&W autographed photo on my kitchen cupboard - surrounded by loads of other smaller ones..........of John Carlisle (my TRUE love)!

Starry x.

(PS - Yes, I DO know how pathetic I am!)

Liked
    255 times
    Just for you, Starry.

Bats.

Liked
    150 times
    Oooh - thanks, Bats!

I have the one of JC as wallpaper on my PC (it's my favourite one) and I have done some interesting things with colours and bubbles with it. Of course that pic's about 15 years old now but it is, at least, a darn sight better than the one on his agents' website at the moment! You can, however, get a sample of his voice on there. He's in a new radio series next Wednesday afternoon on R4.

I like the one of TA though - I shall go a-hunting for that one and download it. I got the URL from 'Properties'.

Does/has Tom ever done any radio? I can't say I've ever heard him in anything or read that he's been in anything.

Last thing I remember seeing him in was a BT Advert.

Starry x.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Starry-Eyed']Oooh - thanks, Bats!

Does/has Tom ever done any radio? I can't say I've ever heard him in anything or read that he's been in anything.

Last thing I remember seeing him in was a BT Advert.

Starry x.

I'd heard he had retired. Don't know of any radio stuff. I wish The Enigma Files would be be brought out on DVD.

Bats,

Liked
    150 times
    Retire? Who said he could retire? I certainly didn't! Anyway, isn't the official retirement age about 96 now? He's still active as far as his agent's website is concerned - well, still actively seeking work anyway. John Carlisle won't retire - he's busier than ever now!

I suppose 'The Enigma Files' is one of those series that's been taped over or gone missing. Has anybody seen 'The Omega factor'? That's a John C classic BBC ten-parter from 1979 which you can get on DVD and well worth renting.

Of course, Tom was also in 'Emergency - Ward 10' which just happens to be 50 years old this year and I cannot believe that ITV aren't doing anything about it; especially as Michael Grade is now in charge and it was his uncle Lou's programme. I believe it was the very first medical series and even preceded 'Dr. Kildare'. I know someone will put me right if I'm wrong.

It ran for ten years and an extraordinary amount of the original actors are still alive and working. I think it was a first TV appearance for Albert Finney and lots of others: Joanna Lumley, Edward Woodward, John Alderton and Pauline Collins - although they didn't get together until much later because he married Jill Browne who was a nurse in it at the time.

Bud Tingwell went back to Oz but it wasn't long ago he was in 'Neighbours'. Desmond Carrington is a DJ on Radio 2 and Peter Howell was still working in 2004 - he must be a good age.

When Lou Grade 'pulled the plug' in 1967, he always said it was one of his two biggest mistakes and tried to resurrect it in the form of 'General Hospital' which he gave Tom Adams a part in.

I believe that they were only allowed to have a couple of deaths a year in it! I seriously doubt that 'Casualty' could function on those terms!

Can you imagine it:

"Er, he's broken every bone in his body, his BP's zero, he's lost about 6 pints of blood and his heart's stopped. He'll be fine."

Those were the days!

Starry x.

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    For a private company, Stanmark Productions, operated by Luxy DJ, Doug Stanley, I recorded a series of programmes, each programme 15 minutes in length called 'Bruce Courage.' It was really an up-to-date version of 'Dick Barton – Special Agent,' for all of you who remember the old Light Programme drama that ran for what seemed like forever when I was a young lad. Bruce Courage was played by Tom Adams, who used to be the face of D.F.S. in TV commercials and was also in 'The Great Escape.' He at one time was tipped to play a future James Bond. His side kick was Ginger, played by Australian, Bill Kerr. Bill is probably best known as Tony Hancock's side kick in the radio and TV shows 'Hancock's Half Hour' alongside Sidney James. Bruce's girlfriend, Vicky, was played by Valerie Kirkbright. These were recorded to sell to various radio stations throughout the world.

(Taken from '208 It was Great - Radio Luxembourg)

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Tom was a real dish! I liked the look of him - he had that kind of male modely look, slightly too good looking. He was great in a lot of roles, of note, is his turn as Fenton Grenville in a 1969 episode of "The Avengers", where he is quite sly and nasty.

zenileon

Liked
    4 times
    I agree he isn't the greatest thesp of all time, but to say he has no talent is a wee bit harsh!!

He was very good in the HAMMER HOUSE OF MYSTERY AND SUSPENSE episode MARK OF THE DEVIL- just a shame that he apperas to have done so little memorable work since. I won't include CASUALTY as that really is scraping the bottom of the barrel. The Brit horror and thriller star's graveyard- just like EASTENDERS, THE BILL and EMMERDALE. A sad reflection on bot the ecomomy and viewing habits of mainstream Britons today.

Liked
    255 times
    I met him on the set of those furntiure ads he used to do ..... he was a really nice bloke and IMHO a good actor too.

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times

If you want to know about this link refer to my posting 15 on previous page.

Liked
    7 times
    I remember also that he donned false teeth to play a psycho killer called Dominick (a figment, or not, of Denholm Ellliot's imagination) in The House that Dripped Blood.