+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About Britain.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else remembers this tv programme from the mid 1970s? I think it was called 'About Britain'. I was very young when it was originally broadcast but I remember it was a type of regional travelogue, and featured different locations from across the British Isles each week.

I think it may have been commissioned through Anglia Television but I'm not sure.

Any information anyone has on this programme would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Nick.

Liked
    0 times
    This weries was networked across ITV in the seventies and eighties. It was a chance for smaller stations like Westward and Channel TV to showcase their documentaries. The programme went out once a week at 1.30pm, after the news. I remember it, because it was the only chance to see the rather wierd front idents from these obscure stations!

The programmes shown were all previously used as local documentaries, but were deemed good enough for a network airing.

By the late eighties, all About Britain episodes got a common opening sequence and the wierd front idents were removed. This caused me to stop watching it!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I have never seen the series mentioned but to my way of thinking no television doco series has ever really done justice to the history and beauty of the British Isles.

There is so much history flowing through the cities, towns and villages of Britain that maybe the thought of doing a series that explores every region of Britain would seem too daunting and a huge undertaking.

I would love to see it done though.

It would hopefully also encourage UK schools to teach children once again the history of their homeland, and how proud they should be of it. Something that I'm told is sadly lacking in UK schools at present.

Dave.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='David Brent']I have never seen the series mentioned but to my way of thinking no television doco series has ever really done justice to the history and beauty of the British Isles.

There is so much history flowing through the cities, towns and villages of Britain that maybe the thought of doing a series that explores every region of Britain would seem too daunting and a huge undertaking.

I would love to see it done though.

It would hopefully also encourage UK schools to teach children once again the history of their homeland, and how proud they should be of it. Something that I'm told is sadly lacking in UK schools at present.

Dave.

Sounds like you've been reading newspapers again. And even worse, believing what they say!

No one series could do justice to every aspect of the British Isles. Lots of small documentaries or series thereof do justice to small parts of it.

Steve

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone,

thanks for the information. Its reassuring after all these years to finally get some confirmation that this series actually existed!

I would love to see this programme again, but I very much doubt any episodes have been saved.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Did the opening credits involve an outline drawing of the British isles around which the "camera" moved in an attempt to look like CGI which it almost certainly wasn't. Proper animation instead.

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    In 1977 BBC2 made a compilation programme for the Silver Jubilee. It was called THE QUEEN'S REALM and was largely compiled from footage made from earlier films taken from a helicopter - BIRD'S EYE VIEW. This breathtaking footage was accompanied by equally wonderful poetry spoken by a number of different voices, including that of John Betjeman. I have never seen such a perfect marriage of words and pictures. The film was produced by the great Eddie Mirzeoff.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    I agree, Aphra, wonderful film. But then anything produced by Eddie Mirzeoff and involving John Betjeman and with Jonathan Stedall in there as well - was great art, in my view.

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    Dave - most of the kids AND grown ups don't know why there is a 'Guy Fawkes' night cum bonfire night! Because they don't teach British history in schools these days - heck, the kids can't even spell right; unless texting English is classed as 'spelling'. How are these kids going to hold down a responsible job; always proving that there will be jobs for them! Cheap immigrant labour may well be a problem here!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Jimbo']Dave - most of the kids AND grown ups don't know why there is a 'Guy Fawkes' night cum bonfire night! Because they don't teach British history in schools these days - heck, the kids can't even spell right; unless texting English is classed as 'spelling'. How are these kids going to hold down a responsible job; always proving that there will be jobs for them! Cheap immigrant labour may well be a problem here!

I get lots of emails from people of all ages. Do you know the ones with the worst spelling and grammar? University professors!

Stop reading the Daily Mail

Steve