+ Reply to Thread

Thread: old sci fi film

Liked
    0 times
    Set in a society falling apart.

Youth are mysteriously drawn to certain locations, they are generally hippy like, once enough of them have gathered, something from space either takes them or destroys them. It featured an older scientist who is looking for his estranged daughter and his friend who runs a radio telescope ( two big dishes called catfish and dogfish!)

They work out that the youth are being drawn to ancient sacred sites and one of those is Lords cricket ground. They also decide it is the combination of the large gathering of youth, with their hormones etc.. that trigger the phenomenon.

They set a trap by loading up one of these sites with a cocktail of hormones and explosives. The final scene is where the youth have also turned up at the trap and he is helped at the last moment to detonate the explosives by his estranged daughter who happens to have turned up.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    This is a TV miniseries called "Quatermass" (alernatively, "The Quatermass Conclusion"), and it starred John Mills.

This was a big cult hit on TV in about 1979, when I was at secondary school.

(BTW, it was Wembley Stadium, not Lords !)

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='thebigd']Set in a society falling apart.

Youth are mysteriously drawn to certain locations, they are generally hippy like, once enough of them have gathered, something from space either takes them or destroys them. It featured an older scientist who is looking for his estranged daughter and his friend who runs a radio telescope ( two big dishes called catfish and dogfish!)

They work out that the youth are being drawn to ancient sacred sites and one of those is Lords cricket ground. They also decide it is the combination of the large gathering of youth, with their hormones etc.. that trigger the phenomenon.

They set a trap by loading up one of these sites with a cocktail of hormones and explosives. The final scene is where the youth have also turned up at the trap and he is helped at the last moment to detonate the explosives by his estranged daughter who happens to have turned up.

It's The Quatermass Conclusion with John Mills and Simon McCorkindale.

Amazon.co.uk: Quartermass: DVD: Sir John Mills

Bats.

ps - I wouldn't call it an 'old sci fi film' .... or is that because I'm an old fart and 1979 doesn't seem that long ago!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    name='batman']

Bats.

ps - I wouldn't call it an 'old sci fi film' .... or is that because I'm an old fart and 1979 doesn't seem that long ago!

I think you answered your own question there!

YDSL x.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I think that was repeated recently-ish on ITV4

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that. Saw it as a kid in the 80's (I couldn't call it a new sc fi film ;-)) Funny thing is I always thought I'd never seen any of the Quatermass! I'm looking forward to re-acquainting myself with it now. Cheers.

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='oxfam1uk']This was a big cult hit on TV in about 1979, when I was at secondary school.

Same here. We must be about the same age!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='silverwhistle']Same here. We must be about the same age!

Bloody youngsters!

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Bloody youngsters!

Bats.

You come along with me, Bats my friend, and we'll partake of some nice hot milk and Farley's Rusks together. (Bags I first use of the dentures.)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmm.

I didn't realise that Quatermass was a TV series, and I'm a fan of classic Sci-Fi. But then I am a relative nipper.

I assumed the Quatermass was just a character from the movies. Is the TV series available on DVD? I don't know why I'm asking you, I could just check on Amazon. In fact I could be doing it now instead of asking you. Hmm.

Aha! Yes, it is! And it's on eBay for less money! And it's my birthday soon! Hurrah!