+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    The Italian Job's been discussed here a bit, as should be the case, but I'm afraid I haven't read everything because there are too many spoilers on the thread. Ideally (in my world), the poster should put the name of the film, and then ALL the post in spoiler brackets.

Like this:

THE ITALIAN JOB (cf. Shirlgirl's comment)

Spoiler:
    I agree that an ending where they did or didn't get away would have been 'neater', but I think it would have cost the film a large part of the film's legendary status. Ask anybody what makes The Italian Job a classic, and the ending will definitely crop up as one element. The ending is generally seen as a perfect balance (literally!), not a downbeat cop-out, and not a wink-to-the-camera chirpy-cockneys-strike-it-rich ending.
    If you google "italian job ending solution" you'll get loads of hits from individual opinion right up to serious scientific analysis resulting from competitive scientific challenges: and there are solutions! It's the great talking point once the film is over, and it can be solved; it's possible that Michael Caine's idea will work! I love the ending, myself.

THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN

Spoiler:
    It's either the IMDB or Halliwell's that says that The League of Gentlemen is a great film that could have been a classic if the ending had been different. I have to agree. I'm not saying they should have got away with it, but it could have been left far more open. The chief was willing to sacrifice himself to let the others get away, and that could have worked for a few minutes, with the film ending with the police suddenly realising that the others had just left, and chasing them, leaving it undecided whether they got away or not. I have to say that another reason the ending annoys me is that the actual way they're caught (the boy collecting car numbers) is too simple.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    The Italian Job's been discussed here a bit, as should be the case, but I'm afraid I haven't read everything because there are too many spoilers on the thread. Ideally (in my world), the poster should put the name of the film, and then ALL the post in spoiler brackets.
    There should be an expiry date for spoilers. If someone thinks that a spoiler will spoil their enjoyment of a 60 year old film, why didn't they see it at any time in the preceding 60 years?

Some people go too far with demanding spoilers. I've met some who think that giving away the title of a film or who is in it should be regarded as spoilers

Steve

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    why didn't they see it at any time in the preceding 60 years?
    There are many, many films of 60 or more years old that I have yet to see, in many cases because I've never heard of them. I would hate my introduction to a film to be a spoiler about the ending.
    For example, my fairly recent discovery of Nothing But the Best (50 years old); I bet a lot of people here haven't seen it as it's hard to find, and the enjoyment that awaits them would be lessened if they knew that it was one of those films where
      Spoiler:
    crime pays, and evil triumphs

But I take your point about
      Spoiler:
    using spoilers unnecessarily

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I understand your irritation about finding out an ending to a film you have yet to see, however old. I recently bought a 1970s film which I had not previously seen and mentioned it to my husband, who immediately said 'oh is that the one where ...' and told me the end twist. I probably could have guessed it anyway, but it leaves out half the fun. Although in the case of this particular film I had already seen a major spoiler not flagged as such in a thread about one of the lead actors in it. So you can't always win!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    There are many, many films of 60 or more years old that I have yet to see, in many cases because I've never heard of them. I would hate my introduction to a film to be a spoiler about the ending.
    For example, my fairly recent discovery of Nothing But the Best (50 years old); I bet a lot of people here haven't seen it as it's hard to find, and the enjoyment that awaits them would be lessened if they knew that it was one of those films where
      Spoiler:
    crime pays, and evil triumphs
    You would be hard pressed to find an American film like that from that period or earlier. They had rules where
      Spoiler:
    baddies weren't allowed to win

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spasuit View Post
    SPOILER ALERT

I always wanted those damn Von Trapps to go over that mountain and come face to face with a tank and be blown to smithereens...t
    This reminds me of the story about a theatre production of The Diary of Anne Frank that was so awful when the Nazis appeared on the stage one audience member shouted out: "She's in the attic!".

Wouldn't change the ending of Betty Blue, but would delete the two scenes the director reinserted for the special edition. Homophobic, without the excuse/explanation of it being the character's belief, since they're uttered by two different people.