+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Anybody been here recently, perhaps it's your local? I haven't been there for nearly 20 years but would like to revisit when I'm next in London.

Hope it's still the same, slighty run down but with good Ale, variable food, lots of wooden nooks and cranys and no bloody background muzak or TV screens.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Havent been there ever, but on a recent trip to Blighty, I was with the family heading West on the Central Line. As we pulled in to Leytonstone, my wife pointed out to my boys that it was the birthplace of Hitchcock. No sooner had she finished, when over the London Transport speakers came this message "Service has been suspended, due to a person under a train at Chancery Lane". Obviously a sad real life situation, but also a very AH moment !

Liked
    0 times
    name='billy bentley']Havent been there ever, but on a recent trip to Blighty, I was with the family heading West on the Central Line. As we pulled in to Leytonstone, my wife pointed out to my boys that it was the birthplace of Hitchcock. No sooner had she finished, when over the London Transport speakers came this message "Service has been suspended, due to a person under a train at Chancery Lane". Obviously a sad real life situation, but also a very AH moment !
    At Leytonstone station, there is a series of mosaics depicting the work of Hitchcock, which is a nice touch - perhaps London Underground could spread the idea throughout the system. There must be many stations which have links to cinema throughout the ages ie someone famous came from "here"

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Andrew 76']At Leytonstone station, there is a series of mosaics depicting the work of Hitchcock, which is a nice touch - perhaps London Underground could spread the idea throughout the system. There must be many stations which have links to cinema throughout the ages ie someone famous came from "here"

Every station on the underground has a mosaic on the platform wall that relates to the area where the station is or sometimes, just the station name. Someone should do a guide to them, some of them are very clever

A few others have other mosaics, like the Hitchcock ones at Leytonstone although there aren't many personalised ones. Tottenham Court Road Station has additional mosaics all the way through the station, along the tunnels and up and down the escalator. These were designed by Sir Eduardo Paolozzi.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Steve Crook']

A few others have other mosaics, like the Hitchcock ones at Leytonstone although there aren't many personalised ones. Tottenham Court Road Station has additional mosaics all the way through the station, along the tunnels and up and down the escalator. These were designed by Sir Eduardo Paolozzi.

Steve

Baker Street station has pictures from er, Sherlock Holmes stories on one of the platforms while Charing Cross has famous paintings in the National Gallery.