+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apparitions

Liked
    151 times
    Caught this last-night. From the writer of CH4's Ultraviolet, Martin Shaw (playing his usual latter-day moody self) is the church's renegade chief exorcist - he even has his licence revoked. The opening episode was fairly uneven, lacking in convincing characters, and is fairly hard to distinguish from Sea of Souls, in facts it's probably another Da Vinci Code inspired series like Bonekickers (sorry if you'd erased that from your memory). I'll probably give it a couple more of outings before giving up.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I had the impression that the slow opening pace (IMHO) was down to the fact that the producers had a total of three hours to play with

I'll reserve judgement but I think I will, in retrospect, feel that 90 minutes would have served it better

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Had totally missed any pre-publicity, so I had no idea that Joe Ahearne was involved .....until I caught the second half by accident. Hero priests, demons, that particular music...unmistakable. Ultraviolet 2, almost (If no-one here remembers Ultraviolet, get the DVD now. The best Horror/fantasy on British TV since Quatermass....)

Joe Ahearne was also responsible for the best New Doctor Who episodes....so I'll be sticking with Apparitions. JA generally has something very interesting to say when he reworks horror genres...

Senior Member Country: UK Sleepin_Dragon's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah it was good, in now way on Earth was it as good as sea of souls, THAT scene was a little much wasnt it

Liked
    151 times
    name='Sleepin_Dragon']THAT scene was a little much wasnt it

Apparently that was toned down, and the original cut was very graphic.

Liked
    0 times
    name='DB7']Apparently that was toned down, and the original cut was very graphic.

Would like to see the more graphic shot hehe. It got better as it went on

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Was Shaw any good in it? Or was he simply being Deed/Gently again?

Liked
    0 times
    name='SirOllyBolly']Was Shaw any good in it? Or was he simply being Deed/Gently again?

As usual he is exactly the same in every role, I couldnt tell if he was Deed or Dalgleish :-)

The rest of the cast were very good though

Liked
    1 times
    name='Sleepin_Dragon']As usual he is exactly the same in every role, I couldnt tell if he was Deed or Dalgleish :-)

*Sigh* If only Bodie would turn up...

Liked
    151 times
    name='Sleepin_Dragon']As usual he is exactly the same in every role, I couldnt tell if he was Deed or Dalgleish :-)

A shame really as he appears to be a bit of an arse. One of the previews claimed he'd been after a writing credit for pitching lets do something with exorcisms to the Beeb. I think had they cast a lesser-known actor the writer might have had more freedom.

Liked
    0 times
    I dont want to sound like im slagging him off, but does anyone else find him rather wooden, he suits JJD and i really like that, here are so many other actors that would have suited this part

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='DB7']A shame really as he appears to be a bit of an arse.

I had the misfortune to be in his company for an episode of The Chief. He is a pretentious arse. I saw the previews of this and was put off by his amateur dramatics/village hall 'priest acting' .... all hand wringing and screwed up vowels. One of the worst successful actors on TV.

Liked
    0 times
    Have to say this was really good last night, i like the fact that the beeb have been able to produce a show like this withouitt satirising it, its been taken seriously and well made. Again though if only someone with slightly more charisma had played the lead, he was good in fairness, but the remainder of the cast were fantastic.

Liked
    151 times
    Agree, it moved up a gear last night and I'm intrigued to know where it's heading. I wouldnt say this was down to any improvement in Martin Shaw's wooden acting but rather the charisma of the possessed down-and-out. Next week's looks even better again.

Liked
    150 times
    I happen to like Martin Shaw, you rotten lot!

As a lover of all things 'supernatural' I rather like this, but I have to admit that it was a bit silly of me to watch last week's episode while I was eating my chicken supper.............

I'm not sure that it's heading anywhere in particular.

I think it's just going to be an ongoing struggle between good and evil; the first two episodes were a 2-parter really - maybe some stories will overlap.

DS x.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Dame Starry']I happen to like Martin Shaw, you rotten lot!

You also like James Blunt .....

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I'm still undecided about it after two weeks although the pace quickened a little in the last episode

Nice to see Siobhan Finneran making an appearance

Liked
    150 times
    name='batman']You also like James Blunt .....
    ...and, AFAIK, it isn't illegal - well, not yet anyway!

Liked
    150 times
    name='Chevyman']Nice to see Siobhan Finneran making an appearance
    I wonder how long she'll manage to hang on to her hide?

Liked
    0 times
    name='Dame Starry']I happen to like Martin Shaw, you rotten lot!

As a lover of all things 'supernatural' I rather like this, but I have to admit that it was a bit silly of me to watch last week's episode while I was eating my chicken supper.............

I'm not sure that it's heading anywhere in particular.

I think it's just going to be an ongoing struggle between good and evil; the first two episodes were a 2-parter really - maybe some stories will overlap.

DS x.
    My mum loves martin shaw she thinks he's cute!