+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Judith arthy

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I can't seem to find much information about this actress other than she moved back to her native Australia in the Seventies. Does anyone know what she is doing now?

Wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Hello again, welland. I dedicated a post to Judith at 'Unmentioned' some months ago:

Unmentioned Actors & Actresses Of The Past - Page 13 - Britmovie - British Film Forum

Liked
    154 times
    name='cornershop15']Hello again, welland. I dedicated a post to Judith at 'Unmentioned' some months ago:

Unmentioned Actors & Actresses Of The Past - Page 13 - Britmovie - British Film Forum

Cheers for that Cornershop. I have learned a little more about her, plus those screencaps of yours are once again super.

Apart from the fact that Mike Pratt co-wrote the R&H(D) episode A Disturbing Case, it was in my view the funniest in the series and it was lovely to see Judith and Annette Andre working together.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='wellendcanons']I can't seem to find much information about this actress other than she moved back to her native Australia in the Seventies. Does anyone know what she is doing now?

Wellendcanons.

I just remember her for the way she filled a bikini in They're a Weird Mob (1966) by Michael Powell.

I think she retired from acting some time ago

Steve

Liked
    154 times
    I have never seen, nor heard of They're A Weird Mob. I'm very interested now though.

Liked
    418 times
    name='wellendcanons']I have never seen, nor heard of They're A Weird Mob. I'm very interested now though.

It's the first of the two films that Michael Powell made in Australia in the 1960s. It's about an Italian immigrant to Australia and the problems he has settling in but also about the joys he discovers there.

It's based on a book that was very successful at the time. The film itself has moments that make some Australians cringe - but many of them really were like that in the 1960s

It's available on the Powell & Pressburger boxed sets - both of them. The HMV set (the white box) can be picked up quite cheaply but doesn't include Black Narcissus or The Tales of Hoffmann. The ITV boxed set (the black box) can be a bit more expensive, it isn't usually so heavily discounted. But they're both a great way into Powell & Pressburger films.

Or you can buy They're a Weird Mob on an Australian DVD from places like Video Shift. The Australian DVD contains a very interesting "Making of ..." documentary

Steve

Liked
    177 times
    Australian Woman's Weekly, 4th June 1969

They're a Weird Mob is featured in another edition of this magazine. Thanks to Euryale's discovery of its online archive last week, I have found many other interesting articles and pictures. Along with favourites like Diane Cilento and Peter Doyle, Judith was one of the first Australian stars I searched for and I've learned a lot more about her from this rare interview. I tried straightening these documents as best I could:

That's news to me about The Mind of Mr. Soames, which I watched on YouTube earlier this year. She must have played the Judy Parfitt role until it was recast. But why? No kissing scenes between Terence Stamp and Vickery Turner from what I remember.

Further information on The Secretary Bird:

Playing Kenneth More's wife in the play was none other than Jane Downs, who was his Mrs a decade earlier in A Night to Remember (Terence Alexander's in real life). It seems John Gregson replaced Kenneth - his co-star in Genevieve, of course - while Judith's role was taken over by Carry On actress Jacki Piper.

A pity the various productions weren't videotaped for posterity (as I say about all Theatre). Too late to do anything about it now.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 15-12-11 at 03:59 AM.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I remember her from Randall and Hopkirk days.........Nice lady......

Liked
    154 times
    Excellent article Cornershop. Many thanks for posting.

wec

Liked
    418 times
    Yes, a very interesting article. Thanks from me too

Steve

Liked
    177 times
    Daily Mirror previews

I hope these are all readable.

From the 1st February 1971 edition:

Judith's character was called Ann Radley. Playing (I assume) her husband Tom was another
    cult favourite, Christopher Coll - best known as Mavis Riley's admirer in Coronation Street.

5th July 1971:

Was she Patrick Allen's estranged wfe in this series, with Hannah Gordon his mistress?

Same photo, cropped. 29th June 1972:

With the added bonus of John Le Mesurier's appearance in The Goodies. This and the Keith Michell show exist but I have Bad News to report
    about the first two programmes. The Z Cars episode was the first of a two-part story entitled Love's a Dead Lumber. Both of them are "missing" and so is the ENTIRE SERIES of Brett. Judith had the recurring role of Caroline Fleming. Based on the information I've found for the episode Never Squeeze A Cherrystone, I think Clive Revill was her father, Howard K Fleming:

Synopsis : Brett has been drawn into the web of the Fleming household, where Howard, his father-in-law, sits in the centre like a spider. But Brett, as Howard discovers, is not the man to be eaten alive.

Senior Member Country: Australia lllIIlllIIlllIIl's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Her bondage scene has been collected by an aficionado here—
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpf...thy_shortfilms