Daily Telegraph:

Police dress up in burkhas 'to improve community relations' - Telegraph

Liked
    151 times
    Silly thread title really.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    I agree....so can you alter the heading to something less silly ?

But as this attire represents the enslavement of women in a subservient role (and has little to do with Islamic religious belief, except perhaps, in its most extreme branches, but more to do with male power over women), it is not really something that the police force in a liberal democratic society should be involved with......They should be engaging with those who wish to participate in our society, not those who despise our values and wish to separate themselves from it.....

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I'm not sure I agree that they shouldn't be involved with it, since these are garments worn by people in the community ... and I don't suppose it used many resources or stopped crimes being solved, but I can't really see the point.

I can't imagine how the police officer quoted really "gained an appreciation and understanding of what Muslim females experience when they walk out in public in clothing appropriate to their beliefs." except from a purely physical point of view - I'm sure she wouldn't have felt the same when people stared at her as a real Muslim woman would in the same garb.

It's just the police saying "Can we help?", and as such it's not a bad thing. Bit pointless maybe.

Liked
    103 times
    This story as presented in the UK press sounds like a scene from a 'Monty Python' sketch......

Perhaps the police could now spend a day on the streets in drag, to reach out to the cross-dressing community ?

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i think it's a great idea and hope they do the same to improve relations with the morris dancing community also!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    name='julian_craster']Three British police officers display their new uniform:

It will be a bit warm for them chasing the criminals - and won't it be a bit restrictive?

I agree with Jaycad - maybe we should have police officers dressed as Morris dancers to represent the English.

Marky B

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='julian_craster']But as this attire represents the enslavement of women in a subservient role (and has little to do with Islamic religious belief, except perhaps, in its most extreme branches, but more to do with male power over women), it is not really something that the police force in a liberal democratic society should be involved with......They should be engaging with those who wish to participate in our society, not those who despise our values and wish to separate themselves from it.....

Where do you get this idea about enslavement from?

Many women choose to wear such garb - that way they don't get caught up in the competition for the latest fashions or anything silly like that. They also don't have to make themselves look beautiful, or even acceptable to the male gaze, every time they want to go out.

Some women find that liberating

It may not have much to do with Islamic belief, although that is debatable, it's all in the interpretation - by men and women. But it has a lot to do with cultural beliefs in many parts of the world. Mainly the men's belief and culture that any woman is fair game unless she is protected by her father, brother or husband.

Steve

Liked
    103 times
    >>Where do you get this idea about enslavement from?

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, the commentator on Islamic affairs in The INDEPENDENT.......

Surely, this is part of the same mindset that requires that women who wear trousers in public be 'stoned'......such cultural 'traditions' are not worthy of respect........

>> Many women choose to wear such garb

With pressure from a father/brother/husband ?

Liked
    69 times
    It is a stupid,pointless exercise that serves no purpose in what the police are trained for - fighting crime. It would be laughable if it wasn't so idiotic.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Shouldn't they have saved this for April 1st? And how does one of those muslim (or moslem) women manage to get a passport photo taken when her face is all covered up except for a very narrow slit for her eyes? In fact, she could be a man under all that get up.

Liked
    69 times
    name='darrenburnfan']Shouldn't they have saved this for April 1st? And how does one of those muslim (or moslem) women manage to get a passport photo taken when her face is all covered up except for a very narrow slit for her eyes? In fact, she could be a man under all that get up.

A good point. How can they identify themselves with a warrant card?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    418 times
    name='julian_craster']>>Where do you get this idea about enslavement from?

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, the commentator on Islamic affairs in The INDEPENDENT.......

Surely, this is part of the same mindset that requires that women who wear trousers in public be 'stoned'......such cultural 'traditions' are not worthy of respect........
    Well she should know better, she's an educated person.

Although why a Ugandan born Ishmaili Moslem should be their commentator on all Islamic affairs - the Independent should know better if that's the sort of rubbish she comes out with.

>> Many women choose to wear such garb

With pressure from a father/brother/husband ?

This may come as a shock, but some women can make up their own minds

Steve

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I think it would have been more fitting if Muslim woman in return were made to get dressed like hoes and go out and binge drink, if you truly want both sets of woman to get taste of each other's traditions and culture.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Wolfgang']I think it would have been more fitting if Muslim woman in return were made to get dressed like hoes and go out and binge drink, if you truly want both sets of woman to get taste of each other's traditions and culture.

Because there's only two sorts of women in Sheffield?

Liked
    9 times
    I just think it would be fun for them to let their hair down.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Wolfgang']I just think it would be fun for them to let their hair down.
    What makes you think that they don't? Would you recognise them?

Steve

Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    name='julian_craster']I agree....so can you alter the heading to something less silly ?

But as this attire represents the enslavement of women in a subservient role (and has little to do with Islamic religious belief, except perhaps, in its most extreme branches, but more to do with male power over women), it is not really something that the police force in a liberal democratic society should be involved with......They should be engaging with those who wish to participate in our society, not those who despise our values and wish to separate themselves from it.....

It is the police recognising a "status quo" amongst the populace it has to service.

Are you asking for the police to make religious, ethnic,sexual,gender and age discriminations before they participate in the community.

History should help you see that 2nd 3rd and 4th generation children will absorb and accept the culture of their host country.

Not just in the UK but everywhere - Germany to the US.

The UK has had an influx of hardcore religious refugees and asylum seekers in the last 10 years. As has most of Europe.

By involving those communities early, as they are doing in Sheffield, will hasten the absorption and acclimatisation into a UK multi-culture.

I see nothing wrong with the police taking this initiative - after all they go to the cubs and brownies as well, and we all know what a breeding ground they are for a certain type.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='alftitimus']It is the police recognising a "status quo" amongst the populace it has to service.

Are you asking for the police to make religious, ethnic,sexual,gender and age discriminations before they participate in the community.

History should help you see that 2nd 3rd and 4th generation children will absorb and accept the culture of their host country.

Not just in the UK but everywhere - Germany to the US.

The UK has had an influx of hardcore religious refugees and asylum seekers in the last 10 years. As has most of Europe.

By involving those communities early, as they are doing in Sheffield, will hasten the absorption and acclimatisation into a UK multi-culture.

I see nothing wrong with the police taking this initiative - after all they go to the cubs and brownies as well, and we all know what a breeding ground they are for a certain type.

ahhhh but do they dress up as cubs and brownies???(i hope not!)

Liked
    9 times
    Some work as strippers though. I went to birthday party two years ago and this wpc came to it and took all her clothes off. I can tell you this doesn't happen in Germany! She should have arrested herself.