+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stanmore Hall

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I've become fascinated with this place in the last few weeks, ever since it was asked about at another 'Locations' thread*. Much to my embarassment, I've kept thinking the building is called 'Stanley Hall' and even used it in the title of later posts. mariocki's reference to Shenley Hall is probably the reason I've subconciously merged the two buildings together (Stanmore and Shenley = 'Stanley Hall'). I'll get it right eventually! Anyway, with the help of other members - see below - I've realised how popular Stanmore Hall has been in various films and TV shows (notably for ITC), so I'd like to show how it's been used in some of them.

Location-spotting hasn't really been too much of an interest to me, let alone a strongpoint, but there have been a few places that caught the eye. Blow Up, which has attracted a lot of interest here lately, is one of them, A Hard Day's Night (as a Beatles fan) would be another, and of course Portmeirion in The Prisoner. But, as of last month, Stanmore Hall has now achieved just as much 'cult status' for me as the latter. This was how it was first seen in the Thriller episode Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are (1974):

An unusual 'fish-eye' view, shown during the Anthology series' trademark opening credits:

It also featured in The Saint episode The House on Dragon's Rock (1968) (must be the back view):

And Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) - All Work and No Pay (1969), with Alfred Burke and Dudley Foster:

The colour seems to change during this shot where the camera pans down to reveal the Fosters' car.

I haven't finished scanning the images from these episodes yet so they might all get individual posts.

*i t v thriller 1974 - Britmovie - British Film Forum

Dedicated to howardmitchell, it's original poster (for inspiring this new interest), and ITC location experts

mariocki, who identified the building, and Anthony Mackay, provider of this link at the aforementioned thread:

TV shows and films featuring Stanmore Hall

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    What a brilliant thread you've started Cornershop. I love location spotting. It is something I have done rather a lot of over the years. It was Vanessa Bergman's Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) Appreciation Society that started it all for me. It's something I would dedicate more time to if only I had the time and the money.

I was watching an episode of The Champions last night called The Final Countdown when Craig, Sharon and Richard had to diffuse an atomic bomb. It's seen in The Avengers titled The Winged Avenger. Home of the unique and wonderful Jack MacGowran who plays an eccentric scientist. It was used In another episode of Randall & Hopkirk as the spiritualist society building in The Trouble With Women.

It's also used in the Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee Hammer film, Nothing But The Night. Diana Dors and Keith Barron also star in that film.

If you look on my profile and go into my files and then go into locations you will find Stanmore House and Shenley Lodge.

If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

Wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I had a very rare opportunity to visit Stanmore Hall this summer - it's now extremely posh and well guarded private flats, but a party of us location hunters were allowed to look round. Even then permission was almost withdrawn at the last minute when a group of privace-conscious resif=dents complained.

It's one of the few locations which is just as impressive in real life as on screen.

Liked
    154 times
    Hi Cornershop. It's me again. I see you have already visited A Guide To Avengerland. That's just what I was about to do.

I'd forgotten Stanmore Hall was seen in The Avengers episode From Venus With Love and The Saint episode The Ex-King Of Diamonds. As soon as I read it on Avengerland I remembered straight away.

Wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice thread CS - the 3rd picture is in fact one of the entrances to the house on Wood Lane while all the others actually show the rear of the house. I was on the same tour as Lord Brett in the summer so I'll upload my photos when I get a moment.

Liked
    32 times

Liked
    32 times
    Some then and now shots from the summer:

From The Winged Avenger:

Then:

Now:

(The foliage now reduces the grassed area but this roughly shows the same spot)

Then:

Now:

From Venus With Love:

Then:

Now:

(This is the front of the house)

Then:

Now:

Incidentally, it was used as a nurses home at the time of filming but it was derelict by the time Thriller came to use the location.

Liked
    177 times
    Many thanks for all your replies. Someone I know went to the Orthopedic hospital there and suggested Google maps to me, but you got there first, mariocki!

Just noticed your new post while previewing mine - fantastic work. I remember The Winged Avenger but it never crossed my mind to find out what - or where - the location (is). I failed to recognise it in All Work and No Pay, years later, and again in Come Out, Come Out ... years after that. Amazing. I particularly like your last photo. Thanks again

Here is that interesting street view:

A little further along:

Did Simon Templar's Volvo pass through this gateway?:

View from a higher angle:

A close-up of one of the elaborately-designed windows:

There's plenty of different ways in which we can view this location so I'm sure I'll revisit Google Maps again for a furture post.

Liked
    154 times
    Brilliant screencaps Cornershop and Mariocki.

Cheers.

Wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Back in the days when Tony McKay and others at Timescreen magazine started putting together their Guide to Avengerland location supplements, this was one of the locations they were very keen to find. As one of their early 'location hunters', I had it on my list to identify, and it was thanks to having seen The House on Dragon's Rock that I spotted the gatehouse as I was driving through the area, and as a result they were able to add it to the guide. At the tme it, I think it was a Swedish language school, or something similar, and relatively easy to get into. Now it's probably harder to visit than Fort Knox !

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    name='Cooper S']I think it was a Swedish language school, or something similar, and relatively easy to get into. Now it's probably harder to visit than Fort Knox !

The Swedish Trade ... something or other. They probably moved out when people stopped buying Swatches!

Liked
    177 times
    The now familiar building turns up in the image gallery for the Thriller boxset. This man must have

had some connection with the show to have been photographed 'on set'. I don't think he's director

John Sichel and I doubt very much whether it's creator Brian Clemens. Any ideas who he might be?

Liked
    154 times
    Is it possible it just might be Brian Clemens? It looks like it might be him. The photo is very dark so it's hard to tell.

Wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    No it's not - it looks more like his nemesis Terry Nation!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    The Met Office used to have a training college in Stanmore but I don't know where it was.

BBC - Weather Centre - About BBC Weather - Michael Fish