+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Watched this the other night on BBC4 and loved it.

Living in Norfolk I recognised the landscape very well but cannot pinpoint the exact location.

Does anyone know where this was filmed and where/what the hotel is?

Thanks,

Mark

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Am I the only one who was severely disappointed by this legendary short ghost film?

After building up a sense of unease and tension the drama rather petered out.

The conclusion, where our victim simply repeats "no" ad infinitum, is as frustrating an end as I can remember. And I do understand that the reason for his disbelief was that his intellectual pride could not accept a ghostly visitation that did not exist in his uncompromising understanding of the world.

Not one of the BBC's best "ghost" stories..

Liked
    0 times
    name='Edward G']Am I the only one who was severely disappointed by this legendary short ghost film?

After building up a sense of unease and tension the drama rather petered out.

The conclusion, where our victim simply repeats "no" ad infinitum, is as frustrating an end as I can remember. And I do understand that the reason for his disbelief was that his intellectual pride could not accept a ghostly visitation that did not exist in his uncompromising understanding of the world.

Not one of the BBC's best "ghost" stories..

I understand what you are saying there......the end certainly isn't the most unsettling part of the film (the nightmare sequence wins that title for me).....but overall I found the atmosphere and fantastic cinematography to be very effective.

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Michael Holden.carried it off.any other actor would not have done.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    He carried me off to sleep anyway

(PS - The photography was superb and also the film's saving grace)

name='flynn']Michael Holden.carried it off.any other actor would not have done.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    One of my favourites, the atmosphere is superb especially the scene where he is in bed and something is in the dark room

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Harbottle']One of my favourites, the atmosphere is superb especially the scene where he is in bed and something is in the dark room

mine too! horderns acting is superb,the photography is superb and although not strictly true to the text (then again,all the adaptated james stories differ,however slightly from the text) this is the one adaptation that captures the feeling that i believe james wanted to put across in his ghost stories!

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

"Oh,Whistle...", what a great film and a great adaptation of an M.R James classic. I can tell you that a lot of the scenes were shot in and around Dunwich in Suffolk, although I've never managed to track down the building used as the hotel.

If you're from Norfolk, have you ever checked out "A Warning to the Curious"? This was another James ghost story adapted for the BBC Ghost Story For Christmas series in the early 70's. It's shot mainly around Wells and the surrounding Norfolk coastline, including Holkhalm Bay. The film stars Clive Swift and Peter Vaughan. Hopefully the BBC will give this another well deserved showing over Christmas.

With this in mind, and if anyone else remembers "A Warning to the Curious", I've never managed to find the coastal church Peter Vaughan visits during his search for the crown. Any ideas?

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Apologies to Mark we have rather wandered off his original request! However IMDB turns up some possible location info regarding 'Warning' (another favourite!).... The setting is Seaburgh, on the Norfolk broads near the coast.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm with Edward G (as I think I've said elsewhere). Jonathan Miller being clever, which worked with his "Alice", spoils the straightforwardness of James' tale, by adding a heap of Miller's psychological preoccupation to a tale that was only ever intended to be a Christmas amusement.

The church in "A Warning" is Happisburgh. Though in the original story, Seaburgh is a very thinly disguised Aldeburgh in Suffolk.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies...I shall definitely check out "A Warning..."