+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    There aren't many actual locations in the early 60s puppet series Space Patrol, but this one has me curious. It's the building which houses Professor Haggerty's laboratory. Does anyone recognise it?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Lord B

Given my username and avatar, I should know this one - have a look here

Space Patrol: Updates

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the mighty Space Patrol complete series is available again for a very limited period from Network.

Liked
    1 times
    Thaks Husky. Here's the quote from Shaqui's excellent Space Patrol site:

The real life Scientific Headquarters seen in Space Patrol, the Empress State Building near Earl's Court Exhibition Centre in Hammersmith, London, is approaching completion of a rennovation of its exterior, and extension, adding 3 storeys to the top.

The distinctive three sided building was built in the early 1960s, completed while production and filming of Space Patrol was underway. It would have been an obvious landmark, and clearly visible from St. Oswald's Church, where filming of Roberta Leigh's earlier puppet series Sara and Hoppity is reputed to have taken place. The church, however, no longer exists having been demolished in the late 1970s.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Hi LB, I love tall buildings myself, the Empress is right behind Earl's Court, it can be seen from miles around........

Liked
    0 times
    I also love high rise buildings (even if Prince Charles doesn't). I find them fascinating and beautiful and given the chance I'd love to live in one, provided it was properly maintained of course and the lifts always worked.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    A key building in identifying this sequence from THE NEW AVENGERS: Sleeper.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Mark O']Hi LB, I love tall buildings myself, the Empress is right behind Earl's Court, it can be seen from miles around........

I was there last July for a business meeting with the Met Police Services team who occupy a large proportion of it. It is a nice building

It's always fun when Mr Crook goes to see the Police

It was built as a hotel but never used as one. It's been used by the Admiralty, MI6 and now the Met.

Its proper name is the "Empress State Building" - a younger, sexier companion to the Empire State Building?

Liked
    202 times
    name='Steve Crook']

Its proper name is the "Empress State Building" - a younger, sexier companion to the Empire State Building?

That's how I like to think of it Steve, a sister building to the empire state, which literally makes my jaw drop with awe over it's height and beauty, Trinnie and Susanah have an office suite there also, a glimpse of the outside is seen in their programmes, I can't think what Thunderbirds episode it is off the top of my head but the model building seen was obviously based on the empress state where a car crashes in an underground car park and a family are trapped as the fire engulfs the building above.

Liked
    0 times
    It featured on the front cover of an issue of VINTAGE ROADSCENE magazine...because I chose it! I gather that Transport for London also have space there.

Liked
    202 times
    Another view of the Empress state, the crescent shaped road seen to the right of the Empress in front of Earl's Court with the square roof is where Hattie Jacques once lived, the things I do to take a picture!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Mark O']Hi LB, I love tall buildings myself, the Empress is right behind Earl's Court, it can be seen from miles around........

This is one of my favourite buildings in London and has cropped up in an episode of Minder as well. As you say Mark it can be seen from miles away and If you're eagled eyed you can spot it from as far away as College Crescent NW3 just off the Finchley Road.

I believe a portion of the building is used by the Police as some sort of headquarters.

Off topic but does anyone know how to remove photos from a quote reply? It get a bit anoying scrolling down.

Liked
    202 times
    name='Remy']

Off topic but does anyone know how to remove photos from a quote reply? It get a bit anoying scrolling down.

Hi Remy, to stop the photo being repeated erase the two [IMG] seen and what's between them, usually the album name/photo number and what the host company is with the backspace key.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Remy']Off topic but does anyone know how to remove photos from a quote reply? It get a bit anoying scrolling down.
    Just select the image(s) and hit DELETE

The same applies for any text you don't want to include in the quoted part of your reply

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Just select the image(s) and hit DELETE

The same applies for any text you don't want to include in the quoted part of your reply

Steve

Thanks Steve. I did exatly that but each time I hit delete it took me to the top of the page. Will practice some more