+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Good evening. There are usually shots of intriguing places whenever I watch old shows and more often than not I tend to capture them while scanning DVDs for actors' appearances. I call them 'Along-the-way' screencaps (or ATWs) as they are unintentional but may become useful later, as the one below has tonight. The same goes for films, so I will be creating a companion thread later. I'm hoping that such location experts as Anthony McKay, mariocki, Alan F, etc. can identify some if not all of these places. To begin with there is this house, featured in the Tales of the Unexpected episode The Way Up to Heaven (1979):

I have become more interested in locations because of all this screencapping and always look at IMDb

pages for the show or film I've just seen, but can't find any information on this one. Can anyone help?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I thought it migh be Elstree Lawns Rest Home, but it isn't. - Any clues to a rough area where the series was filmed?

Liked
    177 times
    Ouite a few places I should think. I'll search around for Elstree Lawns. There are five locations listed for the whole series at IMDb I notice, including two in Norfolk (Holt and Norwich), and one in Suffolk - a place called Somerleyton Hall. I think we can rule out Paris and Montego Bay! I've just established that Somerleyton Hall is where the Joan Collins-John Gielgud episode Neck was filmed and it looks beautiful:

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    One episode of TOTU featured location footage shot in Bath (the one with the landlady who stuffed her lodgers - oops, I'm sure nobody was expecting that !) Others would probably have been filmed in and around Norwich, as it was an Anglia production with studio interiors shot on videotape IIRC.

Liked
    177 times
    Hello Cooper. I'm sure you mean The Landlady, starring Siobhan McKenna. I'll have another look at The Way Up to Heaven later and see if I can find any further clues.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Most of TOTU was filmed in and around Norwich. That house definitely looks like the work of the Victorian / Edwardian Norwich architect Edward Boardman (this isn't the same one, but you see what I mean: Keys Hill:: OS grid TG2916 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square! )

Liked
    177 times
    Thank you for your reply and link. I've done a few more captures and hope these can help someone identify the location. IS it Norwich?

This is a high angle shot of the front of the same house in the first post:

The taxi that takes Julie Harris back home enters this gateway first ...

... and the camera follows it's drive towards the house, so no clever editing, just a continuous route:

Any progress?

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Looking at the shrubbery, there are rhododendrons or laurels and also pine trees, so it will be somewhere with sandy soil if that's any help!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    The Austin taxi's place is PCL which is a Norwich reg number.

Liked
    177 times
    Many thanks to windyridge and tavistock for their eagle-eyed observations. Norwich now seems the most likely location, especially as it was an Anglia production. We'll probably need more specific information for IMDb's 'Filming Locations' for the episode but I'm happy my captures (unwittingly!) revealed more detail than I thought. Thank you both.

Liked
    177 times
    Can anyone tell me where the building referred to as 'The Meadowbank Clinic' is located, or even it's actual name?

Liked
    177 times
    Alternative views of 'The Meadowbank Clinic':

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Selling Out The Videotaped Avengers

Liked
    177 times
    I think Mikey must have posted at the wrong thread. The loss of my original post titles, because of those disastrous forum changes, has f***** up most of my work here so I again have to explain what the previous captures are from. In this case the Armchair Thriller story The Limbo Connection. Still no guesses yet. I know there's a place called Meadowbank in Edinburgh because of the football team.

On his way into this grand-looking residence is Paul Kermack in the Public Eye episode Fit of Conscience (1975):

Estate agent Paul Gregory tells Alfred Burke that the property, known as 'Lotterby House', is in Surbiton. Is that right?

Liked
    0 times
    name='cornershop15' timestamp='1267475081' post='396506']

Thank you for your reply and link. I've done a few more captures and hope these can help someone identify the location. IS it Norwich?

This is a high angle shot of the front of the same house in the first post:

The taxi that takes Julie Harris back home enters this gateway first ...

... and the camera follows it's drive towards the house, so no clever editing, just a continuous route:

Any progress?

This looks like one of the big Victorian houses on Newmarket Road. Will look more closely as the bus goes past.

Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by defaultuser View Post
    This looks like one of the big Victorian houses on Newmarket Road. Will look more closely as the bus goes past.
    I'd almost forgotten about this thread ...

Thanks to default for his reply. I've just found this view of Newmarket Road, in Norwich, at Google Maps:

I can see some similarities in this picture and two or three at Google Images.

I'm also interested in this Mystery Location. Presumably somewhere in London:

This is the final shot of The XYY Man episode The Proposition (1976).

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Those glass canopies may help in the location, pretty rare I'd say, maybe to to the immediate north of Notting Hill in the direction of Paddington, Maida Vale possibly.

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post

I'm also interested in this Mystery Location. Presumably somewhere in London:

This is the final shot of The XYY Man episode The Proposition (1976).
    Holland Park W11. Judging by the slope, itís the western end of the road, looking east.

Liked
    177 times
    Re: The XYY Man: The Proposition

Many thanks, Alan. I've searched around for images of Holland Park properties and found this:

Confirmation, or what? Brilliant. I've seen you credited many times at the Avengerland website, where I visit every day on account of my ITC 'addiction'. Last night, I watched Strange Report for the first time, beginning with the first production episode, HEART: No Choice for the Donor and, sure enough, you're one of the main contributors Thanks also to Mark. You were almost there with Notting Hill.