+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Anyone admit to knowing the adresses of the following clubs featured in the "The Berkeley Caper episode of SHIRLEY'S WORLD:

The Carnival Review

The (world famous) Red Mill Club

The Gigi Club

Blue City

The Dolls House

The Queens Club

The Moroco Club

Balco 170 ?? next door to The Carnival

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Anthony McKay']Anyone admit to knowing the adresses of the following clubs featured in the "The Berkeley Caper episode of SHIRLEY'S WORLD:

The Carnival Review

The (world famous) Red Mill Club

The Gigi Club

Blue City

The Dolls House

The Queens Club

The Moroco Club

Balco 170 ?? next door to The Carnival

I don't know where these clubs were, probably in Wardour Street, Soho or certainly the adjoining roads. When a bunch of us lads split up when our workplace closed we met up once a month in the West End of London (this would be 1969/1970) and after a few bevvies, well quite a lot actually, we visited a strip club in Soho, a different one each time.

All the girls did a circuit so you saw the same performers at each club. A pretty tatty experience really but when you're young and the hormones are raging....hey ho.

I'm sure I've visited some of the clubs you mention but the intervening years have fortunately wiped my memory of the names.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Anthony

I think you have opened up a whole new can of worms for yourself

as Shirley's World had some really lovely locations (including in the UK)

for you to spot.

Senior Member Country: England seeall's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Found reference to explosion at Gigi Club, 62 Frith Street, W1 on 6 November 1966 in Metropolitan Police files.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I certainly went in a good few but cant remember there names the only one I do remember was the Raymond Revuebar

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='marker']I certainly went in a good few but cant remember there names the only one I do remember was the Raymond Revuebar
    Oooooooo I remember that one!

Liked
    6 times
    This is not the footage I'm researching, but it does contain some of the clubs I'm trying to place:

Strip Club Signs Marquees Footage - WPA Film Library

Liked
    6 times
    Paul Stroud has spotted The (world famous) Red Mill Club in Macclesfield Street with the help of Randall and Hopkirk: Would You Recognise the Man Again?

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Here is very entertaining read and still goes on to this very day.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_joint]Clip joint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

A number of clip joints (or "near beer bars") still operate in London's Soho area, alongside legitimate strip bars.

A typical scenario involves a young adult male (typically a tourist) being approached by a beautiful woman (typically either a local or claiming to be) who recommends a "favourite local" bar or club. The man is usually seated at a table and joined by a "hostess," who may or may not order drinks. Whether or not any "services" are performed or drinks are ordered has little bearing on the outlandish bill received at the end of the night. Bills are commonly hundreds of pounds, listing things like a "hostess fee" or "service charge." The arrival of the bill typically corresponds with the arrival of a few large bouncers to ensure payment.

This scam is in a legal grey area if extortion is not explicitly involved, since there is no law against charging high prices and the customer is primarily responsible for determining the prices of services to be rendered before accepting them.

Often, a clip joint employee will wait near a legitimate club, and invite passing pedestrians into a "VIP" area. The potential customers are meant to believe that the person works for the nearby club, though they may not explicitly say so. Once inside, drinks are usually alcohol free (as they usually don't have a licence) or watered down and overpriced with no prices listed on the menu, and (as is typical) unrequested companion(s) may also arrive at the table.

Since 2007, the London Local Authorities Act reclassified clip joints as sex establishments, meaning that they required relevant licences, closing a loophole where these businesses did not need a licence to operate because they did not serve food or alcohol or provide entertainment.

As recently as 2009, 2 people were jailed for 36 and 14 months respectively after threatening an undercover police officer.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    name='ShirlGirl']Oooooooo I remember that one!

your a tease Shirlgirl, a naughty -shirl-girl.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    The Carnival Review Club - 12 Old Compton St, W1

The (world famous) Red Mill Club - 12 Macclesfield St W1

The Gigi Club - 62 Frith St W1

Blue City Revue Club - 30 Peter St, W1

The Dolls House Club - 4 Carlisle St W1

The Queens Club - 37 Berwick St W1, and at 5 Walkers Court W1

The Morocco Club - 40 Frith St W1

Balco 170 ?? next door to The Carnival - no trace.

That's enough of that, must get out of this mac. Fake champagne, 30 bob a glass. Phew!

Liked
    6 times
    I hate to ask, but Jeff Randall was seen entering the Hawaii Striptease Club.

Any ideas where this was?

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='Anthony McKay' date='21 May 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1274480732' post='430135']

I hate to ask, but Jeff Randall was seen entering the Hawaii Striptease Club.

Any ideas where this was?

Sorry, Anthony, no club of that name listed in 1970 or 1971

WSM

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    yes, i know all of the strip clubs you have mentioned as i used to work in them all myself as a striptease dancer from 1969-1979. I was filmed for a documentary about london wardour street in 1970 called....The Celluloid Village of Dreams and i was filmed on stage at a strip club called The Playboy striptease club which was on wardour Street.I was on the circuit for quite a few years and loved every minute of it. i am now retired but have many great memories of my time in soho and recently i visited soho, the first time in 42. years and everything has changed so much. THE DOLLS HOUSE that was on Carlisle Street is now The Kandy Club and i had my photo taken there. The atmosphere now in soho is not as great as it was in the 70's.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    94 times
    A gang of us used to go the The Carnival in the early 60's and I used to come out with bruises on my arms which came about from us nudging each other during the performance.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hazel64 View Post
    yes, i know all of the strip clubs you have mentioned as i used to work in them all myself as a striptease dancer from 1969-1979. I was filmed for a documentary about london wardour street in 1970 called....The Celluloid Village of Dreams and i was filmed on stage at a strip club called The Playboy striptease club which was on wardour Street.I was on the circuit for quite a few years and loved every minute of it. i am now retired but have many great memories of my time in soho and recently i visited soho, the first time in 42. years and everything has changed so much. THE DOLLS HOUSE that was on Carlisle Street is now The Kandy Club and i had my photo taken there. The atmosphere now in soho is not as great as it was in the 70's.
    Nice post Hazel. Welcome to the forum.

Liked
    0 times
    thanks for replying. those were the best days i had when i was younger. i have been given a book called....NAKED JUNGLE...by Murray Goldstein..he owned about 5 clubs then in soho and i worked for him in 69/70 at MAXIMS club on Frith Street. the book tells it how it is and i remember murray as being a nice bloke to work for. meories memories...it was all wonderful...hazel

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    i worked for him in 69/70 at MAXIMS club on Frith Street.
    Oops, I may well have seen more of you than...err...

Liked
    0 times
    you may have seen a lot more of me than you can remember. im not ashamed of my jobs in those clubs. it was a brilliant way of life and a great atmosphere and i really did love my job so no worries. i am finding it hard at the moment to see if i can obtain any pictures at all of the clubs and maybe some of the dancers back then from 69/through the 70's. I already have a dvd copy of the documentary programme that was screened in 1970 called THE CELLULOID VILLAGE OF DREAMS, about wardour street and its people. i was the girl they filmed on stage at the playboy striptease club on the street itself. ITV kindly sent me that dvd and it is great to catch a glimpse of me on stage at 21.years of age.i have collected many memories but i am struggling with trying to find any photo's from back then, have you any ideas maybe?.....regards....hazel

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    94 times
    Have you tried the first series of "The Rock'n'Roll years, I think there is something on strip clubs in there.
    you may have seen a lot more of me than you can remember. im not ashamed of my jobs in those clubs. it was a brilliant way of life and a great atmosphere and i really did love my job so no worries. i am finding it hard at the moment to see if i can obtain any pictures at all of the clubs and maybe some of the dancers back then from 69/through the 70's. I already have a dvd copy of the documentary programme that was screened in 1970 called THE CELLULOID VILLAGE OF DREAMS, about wardour street and its people. i was the girl they filmed on stage at the playboy striptease club on the street itself. ITV kindly sent me that dvd and it is great to catch a glimpse of me on stage at 21.years of age.i have collected many memories but i am struggling with trying to find any photo's from back then, have you any ideas maybe?.....regards....hazel