+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    In the Hancock's Half Hour television episode "The Cold", Sid and Tone are filmed on location running to get fit. They are seen near a traffic junction with a large building (a pub?) on the opposite side of the road. I assume it would be in an area of London.

Does anyone know where that scene was filmed? Or where any other outdoor scenes were filmed for the HHH series?

Cheers

Dave.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brent
    In the Hancock's Half Hour television episode "The Cold", Sid and Tone are filmed on location running to get fit. They are seen near a traffic junction with a large building (a pub?) on the opposite side of the road. I assume it would be in an area of London.

Does anyone know where that scene was filmed? Or where any other outdoor scenes were filmed for the HHH series?

Cheers

Dave.

I am sure this was recently featured in an Hancock Appreciation Society mag Dave, complete with pix. I'll dig out me back-numbers over the weekend and let you know...

Smudge

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    I am sure this was recently featured in an Hancock Appreciation Society mag Dave, complete with pix. I'll dig out me back-numbers over the weekend and let you know...

Smudge

Cheers Smudge,

That would be really interesting.

Much appreciated.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    According to "Fifty Years of Hancock's Half Hour" this programme was recorded at Riverside Studios in Hammersmith. There were two studios and the Hancock team used Riverside 1. "Oppposite the studio was a pub which became known as Riverside 3", which was used regularly by the cast and production team. Could be where the outdoor scenes were filmed?

Liked
    1 times
    Hi Sonny,

I thought the television series of HHH was filmed at Lime Grove Studios in Shepherds Bush.

I suppose some of the outdoor shots may have been taken in either vicinity.

That Smudge is certainly taking his time sorting through his back issues of HAS magazine. I bet he's forgotten !

Cheers

Dave.

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Dave,

I thought the same until I acquired this book by Richard Webber. 372 pages on one series - everything is in there, apart from that location!. Each programme is covered in detail: 'The Cold' was recorded at Riverside 1 on Friday 19 February 1960 and transmitted on 4 March 1960. 10.1m tuned in. Great cast: Hugh Lloyd, Patricia Hayes, and John Le Mesurier as Hancock's doctor. Sid, of course, has avoided the cold.

Sonny

Liked
    114 times
    Hi Sonny,

I thought the television series of HHH was filmed at Lime Grove Studios in Shepherds Bush.

I suppose some of the outdoor shots may have been taken in either vicinity.

That Smudge is certainly taking his time sorting through his back issues of HAS magazine. I bet he's forgotten !

Cheers

Dave.

LOL I've gone through half a dozen and can't find the reference ; it even had comparative pix ! I THOUGHT it was quite recent, but it may be buried deepr/ The search continues, have no fear...

The Late (EXTREMELY) SMUDGE

Liked
    114 times
    Finally found it ! The sequence was filmed near Barnes railway station in south west London. Tone & Sid actually jog across the slip road to the station as they come along.

The area is pretty much the same today, but the pub which you rightly spotted Dave (Funny how you can always recognise pubs !) has since been demolished.

Smudge MA*

*Miracle Archives : "If we find it for you, it's a Miracle !"

Liked
    1 times
    Finally found it ! The sequence was filmed near Barnes railway station in south west London. Tone & Sid actually jog across the slip road to the station as they come along.

The area is pretty much the same today, but the pub which you rightly spotted Dave (Funny how you can always recognise pubs !) has since been demolished.

Smudge MA*

*Miracle Archives : "If we find it for you, it's a Miracle !"

Many thanks Messiah, it was worth the wait.

I wonder why they chose that area of London?

While you're there Smudge, I wonder whether you know where the street scenes were filmed for the "East Cheam Centenary" episode of HHH?

Or the country road location used for the "Old Oak Tree" episode where the boys are on a demonstration march?

If you look closely on the horizon of that scene, amongst the trees, looking through a set of brambles and behind the third cow on the left there is what looks like a pub..........only joking!

Cheers mate.

Dave.

Liked
    114 times
    Many thanks Messiah, it was worth the wait.

I wonder why they chose that area of London?

While you're there Smudge, I wonder whether you know where the street scenes were filmed for the "East Cheam Centenary" episode of HHH?

Or the country road location used for the "Old Oak Tree" episode where the boys are on a demonstration march?

If you look closely on the horizon of that scene, amongst the trees, looking through a set of brambles and behind the third cow on the left there is what looks like a pub..........only joking!

Cheers mate.

Dave.

I'll see what I can find Dave - this could mean re-reading my entire set of back numbers though. I wouldn't hold your breath on these ; I was stunned when somebody actually turned up THE COLD locations. Perhaps I should write to the mag and see if that same person knows of any more...?

Anyway, I knew you were joking - everybody knows the pub is behind the SECOND cow !

SMUDGE

Liked
    1 times
    I'll see what I can find Dave - this could mean re-reading my entire set of back numbers though. I wouldn't hold your breath on these ; I was stunned when somebody actually turned up THE COLD locations. Perhaps I should write to the mag and see if that same person knows of any more...?

Anyway, I knew you were joking - everybody knows the pub is behind the SECOND cow !

SMUDGE

Many thanks Smudge, you're a diamond.

Maybe Mrs.Smudge can help out.

Please take your time, theres no rush.

I'll just start holding my breath from......now!

Cheers mate.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times

Smudge MA*

Yes, the opening shot is definitely the slip road that leads to Barnes Railway Station which they cross. The main road is Rocks Lane and they are jogging up Rocks Lane in the opening shot. The Junction they get to is the crossroads of Rocks Lane, Rohampton Lane and the Upper Richmond Road (A205 South Circular).This is actually behind them, so they are actually running in the wrong Direction to get to it ;-)

I will put some new photos of the area up later :-)

Liked
    0 times
    I have just been out to take some photographs but the bloomin sun was shining striaght into the lens as I was trying to take the shot!

The White thatched building that you see in the show is actually still there and looks exactly the same! I am not sure if that was actually a pub?! When I first came to live around here in 97 there was a pub on that crossroads which I think was called the Red Rover. That has now been renovated into flats

The traffic was of course horrendous and its not even rush hour yet

Makes me sad when I look at the clip on 'The Cold' as there are hardly any cars there at all :-(

Liked
    0 times
    Here is a picture taken at the RedRover Junction earlier. Notice the white thatched building which is still there - Sorry I don't know how to do frame grabs from the DVD :-(

redrovercrossroads.jpg

Liked
    0 times
    Here is a picture of the Slip Road to Barnes Railway Station in 'The Cold' :-)

sliproadBarnes.jpg

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Bungay
    Here is a picture taken at the RedRover Junction earlier. Notice the white thatched building which is still there - Sorry I don't know how to do frame grabs from the DVD :-(
    Nice work Tony, I was only wondering last week where that building was

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Not related to locations ...

Does anybody know (how I can find out) the name of the cartoonist who did the occasional cartoon titles on the Half Hour? Particularly nice ones at the end of "Forty-Three Minutes" but there are others. IMDB is very detailed on credits, but doesn't seem to mention these ...

Thanks in advance.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    A bit of info on the pub as seen at the traffic lights (name board can just be seen in top right corner of the screen
    http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/s...waytavern.html

Nick