+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm trying to find the UK locations for filming, although I'm aware that significant parts were in sheds at Hatfield and a whopping great housing development has swallowed it up. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    The Battle of the Bulge/Bastogne sequences were shot at Bourne Woods, near Farnham.

Nick

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Maxibon']I'm trying to find the UK locations for filming, although I'm aware that significant parts were in sheds at Hatfield and a whopping great housing development has swallowed it up. Any suggestions?

Indeed Hatfield is a shown nicely here:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.76....1&r=0&src=msl

I am speculating that this is a set for BofB (obviously an old photo) - it has many hallmarks of a location set. Zoom out to reveal how housing has taken the site now.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks chaps. Any clues as to where they shot the Aldbourne scenes

Thanks for all your responses. More through luck than judgment, I came across the T junction where Winters ambushed Sobel in Series 1. We then took to children for a walk near Farnham and saw the 'Currahee' hill that they ran up. I also was on exercise at Longmoor, where they trained.

We live close to Aldbourne where the 101st were based in WWII and coincidentally, my wife's family owned Littlecote House many moons ago.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    You'd need someone in the Swindon/Marlborough area to scout out the locations for you.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm pretty sure some scenes were shot on Ivinghoe Beacon

Liked
    0 times
    In response to earlier comments...

The Bulge/Bastogne scenes were not shot at Bourne Woods, Farnham. Bourne Woods was used to film Easy Company running up the hill (in PT gear) during a basic training scene. The Bulge/Bastogne scenes were shot in Hatfield Park, and on the large forest set constructed in one of the hangers at the airfield.

The Aldbourne scenes were shot at Hambleden, near Henley on Thames.

The Brecourt Manor scenes were shot somewhere near(ish) Amersham but I can't recall the exact place.

spinalman's link is indeed the BoB set. North of the runway is the town set which was constantly rebuilt during production; south west is the Camp Toccoa set used in basic training.

North west of the town set just beyond the treeline are some lakes (old gravel pits) the first of which (I'm fairly certain it's the first although it might have been one of the others - but it was definitely one of them!) was used for the night scenes where Easy Company come to the resuce of the British Paratroopers.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Where do they do the most shouting?

When I watched it I thought it should have been called "Band of people shouting a lot"

Democracy is all very well, but in the middle of combat isn't the best place for everyone to have their own opinions - and voice them repeatedly and loudly

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    I haven't seen the production myself but I know that some of it was filmed in the grounds of Hatfield House, especially the wooded area close to the junctions of the A1000 Great North Road and Wildhill. I live nearby and we got letters through the door advising us that there would be sounds of gunfire in the area for a 2 week period. They made their own entrance at the A1000/Dixons Hill Road junction on the roundabout which was closed up again when they left. Hope this assists.