Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    This website might help:

Hammer Film Locations

YDSL x.

Liked
    0 times
    I think you mean ' A Distant Scream ' from the Hammer House Of Mystery And Suspense series. Go to www.nealfb.f2s.com/index.html and it gives a rundown of all locations known.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I sent in the full list of locations to this forum earlier this year.

But to save time:

A DISTANT SCREAM

Pre Hotel, St. Albans (Int. Hotel Lobby/Lounge/Stairs/Bedroom/Bathroom)

Tye Rock Hotel, Porthleven, Cornwall (Ext. rear, front, Hotel)

Tye Rock Hotel has been converted to private flats. Pre Hotel was still a hotel last time I looked - and yes it is actually called "Pre Hotel". It's just to the north of St. Albans.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    name='Anthony McKay']A DISTANT SCREAM

Pre Hotel was still a hotel last time I looked - and yes it is actually called "Pre Hotel". It's just to the north of St. Albans.

Yes, it's still there Tony, on the edge of the Gorhambury Estate (can't believe that hasn't been used as a location by the way.) In fact I'll be driving past it tomorrow.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Anthony McKay']I sent in the full list of locations to this forum earlier this year.

But to save time:

A DISTANT SCREAM

Tye Rock Hotel has been converted to private flats. Pre Hotel was still a hotel last time I looked - and yes it is actually called "Pre Hotel". It's just to the north of St. Albans.

thank you

Liked
    1 times
    name='Anthony McKay']I sent in the full list of locations to this forum earlier this year.

But to save time:

A DISTANT SCREAM

Did the 2 hotels double as 1 ??

Liked
    150 times
    Er, I thought that the film in question was A Silent Scream?

A Distant Scream is a something different altogether which was filmed at Mullion Cove in Cornwall, near Helston, and starred Stephanie Beacham and David Carradine. It was a TV film which formed part of the "Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense" series.

I believe they used the Mullion Hotel for that one.

YDSL x.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Starry-Eyed']Er, I thought that the film in question was A Silent Scream?

A Distant Scream is a something different altogether which was filmed at Mullion Cove in Cornwall, near Helston, and starred Stephanie Beacham and David Carradine. It was a TV film which formed part of the "Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense" series.

I believe they used the Mullion Hotel for that one.

YDSL x.

yes silly me I got the title wrong, should be A Distant Scream, sorry

Liked
    150 times
    name='stevie boy']yes silly me I got the title wrong, should be A Distant Scream, sorry

Don't apologise! I was surprised to see two Hammer films with almost the same title myself.

I love A Distant Scream as I have family living in Mullion - it's a beautiful part of the country.

My brother told me that they used The Mullion Cove Hotel at the top of the cliffs overlooking the cove/harbour - I can't confirm that though. There are several coves all within walking distance of each other in that area - Imdb only mentions Kynance Cove and Mullion in 'Filming Locations'.

Does this look like the hotel to you:

YDSL x.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Starry-Eyed']Don't apologise! I was surprised to see two Hammer films with almost the same title myself.

I love A Distant Scream as I have family living in Mullion - it's a beautiful part of the country.

My brother told me that they used The Mullion Cove Hotel at the top of the cliffs overlooking the cove/harbour - I can't confirm that though. There are several coves all within walking distance of each other in that area - Imdb only mentions Kynance Cove and Mullion in 'Filming Locations'.

Does this look like the hotel to you:

YDSL x.

It differs from what has been said earlier in this post, also from memory the hotel was smaller and seemed more isolated.

Liked
    150 times
    I can tell you that I have often seen that hotel, but never from that angle - and I never actually realised that it was that big myself!

I'm intrigued now!

YDSL x.

Liked
    6 times
    I checked Tye Rock Hotel 12 years ago (just as it was being converted) and this was the location used. I also went around the various coves used in the episode. The locations list was taken from studio documentation (hence the detail) - no extra stuff added by the AVENGERLAND regulars, although some of the locations had been 'spotted' prior to the list comming to light.

Liked
    150 times
    Thanks for that, Anthony.

YDSL x.

Liked
    6 times
    There are still some web pages that list the Tye Rock as still being an hotel - but I did find this document that mentions 'former Tye Rock Hotel' and includes a map.

http://www.kerrier.gov.uk/media/adob..._-_2207-01.pdf

Liked
    1 times
    name='Anthony McKay']I checked Tye Rock Hotel 12 years ago (just as it was being converted) and this was the location used. I also went around the various coves used in the episode. The locations list was taken from studio documentation (hence the detail) - no extra stuff added by the AVENGERLAND regulars, although some of the locations had been 'spotted' prior to the list comming to light.

thanks for clearing that up,cheers

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It was filmed in Cornwall, St. Albans and......one scene in Letchmore Heath )between Watford and Borehamwood).

It was the short section where David Carridine's character takes a film to be processed into a shop.... I owned that shop.

It took them 30+ takes and all afternoon to shoot, the director still wasn't happy but light was fading. It was funny because the shot they used in the end was one where, if you look extremely closely, I can be seen behind the counter (laughing at the 20-something time David had to walk in) and me being in shot was the reason they did another take.

The reason it was filmed at my shop was because they forgot to shoot the scene, so had to find a location that looked 'country-like' to match in with the filming in Cornwall.

It was a farce frankly, but I got 150 so I didn't complain.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Interesting stuff Castman, where exactly in LH was your shop?

Liked
    6 times
    name='mariocki']Interesting stuff Castman, where exactly in LH was your shop?

The only shop in Letchmore Heath I know about was the old post office, which became a bit of a craft shop and then an expensive residential property.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='mariocki']Interesting stuff Castman, where exactly in LH was your shop?

The correct address is 1 Carver Cottage, The Green Letchmore Heath. It is now a house. When we had it 1981 - 1985 it was also the Post Office, when the PO decided they would close our small sub-office it was no longer economically viable for us, so we sold it.

I think the post box is still outside the shop if not then directions would be as you come into LH from the Elstree direction the road forks at the green with the Pub centre (pub used a lot in films & TV) take the left fork past the Hari Kirshner manor, just past the row of cottages on the left is a large farm house set back, the shop was opposite that farm house.

When we were there they also used the shop in an episode of Lyton's Diary entitled "Come Uppance". In this there was a scene where three skinheads go on the rampage through the village kicking cans down the road then they intimidate the Pakistani shopkeeper by banging on the window and shouting at him. In the story the guy who lives in the local manor house was starting the British Patriots Party, if memory serves me correctly.

Thames TV were down all day for that shoot, there were hundreds of them, and a queue up our stairs all day to use the loo! They got the shots in just a few hours but delayed because one of the actors got over enthusiastic and broke the shop window! So they had to wait for a glazier to come out. The whole village was treated to free food from the huge catering van they had in tow!

Pork Farms also did a commercial in the village at about the same time, a village fair scene, that was on the green and in front of the pub.

I think the village is probably most featured in the film 'Village of the damned', all outside locations were done there and in the lanes around. Indeed one villager took great pride in showing me the battle scars to his garden wall were in the film a car or van rammed into it. This was before my time in the village but to most of the villagers it was a time to remember, several weeks of having their gardens made over for them because they had to keep continuity going!