+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Public Eye

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    As we were down in the southeast yesterday Mrs. Smudge and I dropped in on Chertsey and Walton and took the camera...

Marker's Chertsey HQ from Public Eye as it appears today. The whole area around Chertsey station is somewhat rundown and the surroundings are blighted by rampant redevelopment, so I would guess this former cafe is living on borrowed tome...

The Crown Hotel, which features in some of the Chertsey episodes, looking pretty much unchanged. Next door is the location from THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON which has been converted into a rather naff looking bar/restaurant. Was it originally Chertsey Town Hall? I think it was.

I took some other P EYE reference shots but need to go over the episodes again to check which are relevant.

Smudge

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

That building with the arched windows looks like one I used to have a flat in.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Great stuff I suppose we have to think ourselves lucky the cafe is still there can anyone tell me if there are known locations for Brighton as I am going down there for a few days

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Excellent work Smudge Frank's office at the station should have a preservation order put on it

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Frank's office in Eton still isn't greatly changed from back then either. we have a little piece we bought there so I could see inside the shop - we adapted it for a bird bath and the local feathered brethren love it.

Of late the shop seems to have gone into 'sale' mode and the lease is up for sale, so I do wonder if will stay the same much longer. This is the problem when money gets tight a la 'credit crunch' - nobody has the dosh for expensive knick-knacks...

Frank's local Chinese take-away (two doors down) which we see him use in the Windsor series, stopped trading suddenly about three years ago. Again it is pretty much unchanged outside. The good sign was that it appeared to be the family residence so although the shop had closed, the building was still being maintained.

Alas when we were there yesterday the old menu signboard had been ripped off the wall and the up-to-now still tended abundant plants in the window were all brown and dying.

We are now trying to solve the mystery of Marker's Chertsey office; if you consult the episodes, the building above seems much larger. I may have to go back and do more pictures so that I can measure the spaces around the office and see what has changed in the intervening years.

I suspect an extension was built on the right hand side, and the doors have certainly moved from Sir Alf's time. The concrete slabbing of the station forecourt seems not to have changed though.

Smudge

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='marker']can anyone tell me if there are known locations for Brighton as I am going down there for a few days

I've been meaning to do Brighton Marker locations for years (and Brighton EW, and other stuff but that's another story)

Here are a couple that come immediately to mind.

The first location is in the lanes, IIRC Marker buys a shirt and then saunters off.

The second location is the cafe of Markers first meal, Regency Square.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    well I have been past the restaurant loads of times as the hotel I stay at is just a few doors away