+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Here's one that should have been easy: Its number 81 and the shop name is visible. That said, there is no listing for this shop from 1960-1984 in any telephone directory? Help! ('The Professionals' episode: 'Cry Wolf' 1981)

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='45doyle']

That last one, it looks like the bit you've circled is a No Waiting sign

Steve

Liked
    2 times
    Thanks Steve - a 'No Parking' sign would indicate a high street, or similar, I would have thought.

Liked
    202 times
    Interesting but mind-boggling pics with these Professional's pics!

Looking at the style of Store front pillar and the concrete window ledges above and to the side I'd say late 1920's/ early 1930's built, and am I correct in thinking that many were filmed the north-western suburbs of London?, doubt if it's south of Willesden Green (more Edwardian) but maybe north, north west of Neasden where much building went on with the expansion of the tube lines, also the Sudbury town area is one to consider, but I doubt it would be beyond or in the Pinner/Northwood areas......

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Rather than a phone book (They may have been ex-directory) have you tried Kelly's Directories....that name householders and businesses building by building?? Local libraries should hold them for the seventies....

Liked
    202 times
    name='penfold']Rather than a phone book (They may have been ex-directory) have you tried Kelly's Directories....that name householders and businesses building by building?? Local libraries should hold them for the seventies....

Good idea, if I were doing this search I'd try Libraries in the London Borough of Harrow first, then filter outwards.......

One good thing about this forthcoming 'Streetview' website is that Streets can be scoured one by one to hopefully find a location, it's unlikely the 'J.P. Jones' sineage or Windows would be there today, but the building itself may still be standing.....

Liked
    202 times
    Just as incentive 45doyle, if you do ascertain this and any other Professionals location in the Greater London area (just post the pic, I know there's a few dotted about!) I'll be more than happy to take a 'now' pic when I'm next in our Capital City Travelcarding, as I enjoy visiting Film/TV locations, however obscure they are!

Liked
    2 times
    Thanks guys - not sure if I can access 'Kelley's' that far back in Bristol.

And, 'Mark O' thanks for the offer of snapping some 'now' pics.

Liked
    7 times
    name='45doyle']Thanks guys - not sure if I can access 'Kelley's' that far back in Bristol.

And, 'Mark O' thanks for the offer of snapping some 'now' pics.

Only the Bristol ones...a complete run back to the 1860's or so in the Central Library...!!! They're old friends....

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I wouldn't try for the next couple of days as your friendly local librarians will be on strike. I'll have a look when I'm back at work.

Liked
    2 times
    Thanks 'Captain Waggett' that would be much appreciated.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Ancestry.co.uk currently run the BT Phone book archive through their site - the resources are available on 14 day trial.

I managed to find dozens of locations during my 14 days (including a couple of all-nighters).

I would recommend you get a list of all the locations you are looking for sorted out first then put a couple of days aside - the phone book pages are searchable but are downloaded in picture format - I found it easier to dump the files as I went so I could access them later.

For businesses the search criteria needs various combinations of initials and names - this can be quite time consuming. It is some times easier just to flick thriough the pages of a particular directory - although you have to guess at the page numbers you need.

I found that MOST pubs from the early 60s were not listed.

I anyone out there already knows a subscriber to the site it is easy to overlook that this resource is available.

If you are going to use the 14 day trial have everything ready before you start - you onkly have 14 days!

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It's also available at most libraries for free. - check the website of your local one. It's quite fascinating.

Liked
    2 times
    Cheers Tony - that was the directories I meant I'd already checked. I've been registered with 'Ancestry' for 2 months now. Its taken that long to look at all the relevant ones from 1960-1984, and there is no 'JP Jones', or even a 'Jones Stores', listed anywhere?

Hopefully, if someone can check the 'Kellys Business' directories it may throw something up. Location-wise, apart from the few listed here (and your site), thats it - I have them all.

JP Jones has cropped up because I always thought it was on the High Street, Yiewsley, Middx. As it turns out I don't think it is.

Liked
    6 times
    I don't suppose anyone out there could look up the following for me?

1965 London - Spurlings

1965 Borehamwood/London - Buller's

1959 North London "Mence Smith" (a hardwear store) branches

1968 London - C Tavener and Son and Phoenix Assurance (They should be next to each other on the same street)

1968 Cambridge - Jarrold and Sons Ltd

Liked
    7 times
    Re Jarrolds, you could ask them where their Cambridge branch was...they seem to have shrunk back to Norfolk.

Jarrold - Branch Information

C Taveners HQ seems to be Iverson Road, Hampstead....

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Tavener-...mpanyinfo.html

Mence Smith (A fairly large chain) were bought out by Timothy Whites and then Boots...so no leads there.

Liked
    2 times
    Here you go Tony; some to be getting on with ('Mence Smith' had a fair few branches - couldn't see the name on the shop next door to narrow it down). If only 'JP Jones' had been this easy.....

'C TAVENER': 112 FINCHLEY ROAD, NW3

'PHOENIX ASSURANCE': 110 FINCHLEY ROAD, NW3

'JARROLD & SONS', 9 MARKET STREET, CAMBRIDGE

Liked
    2 times
    Struggled with 'Bullers'??

Could it be 'Bullens' because they had an H/O at:

BULLENS ORGANISATION, ELSTREE WAY, BOREHAMWOOD, HERTS

and offices at:

408 Hornsey Road, N19

235 North End Road, W14

18 Creechurch Lane, EC3

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Nice work, Bob. I can help with the Spurling location - the Volvo is on Kingsbury Road facing towards the A5. The road opposite is Rookery Way, the entrance to Homebase.

Liked
    6 times
    name='45doyle']Struggled with 'Bullers'??

Could it be 'Bullens' because they had an H/O at:

BULLENS ORGANISATION, ELSTREE WAY, BOREHAMWOOD, HERTS

Thanks - fantastic work. I was going to suggest Sterling Way or Elstree Way.

The shop next to Mence on the left is W.H.Smith - which does not really make things easier.