+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Has anyone out there got a 1960's edition of the London A to Z which still has Gilden Road, NW5 on it?

If so would you be kind enough scan or photograph the area so I can match this up with a modern map. Gilden Crescent has appeared since the '60s and is not what I'm after.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='Anthony McKay']Has anyone out there got a 1960's edition of the London A to Z which still has Gilden Road, NW5 on it?

If so would you be kind enough scan or photograph the area so I can match this up with a modern map. Gilden Crescent has appeared since the '60s and is not what I'm after.

I've got a Bartholomews from 1962. Any good?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    My scanner is not playing at the moment.

Gilden Road was where I have placed the red circle, it ran parallel to Queens Crescent between Grafton Road and Allcroft Road [ which now seems to be called Wellesley Road ]. To the north of it, and parallel, was Dale Road, then Vicars Road which is still extant.

Ther seems to have been some redevelopment around there, as some of the roads are truncated or extended.

http://www.multimap.com/s/XZJBNcAM

Liked
    44 times
    Right I've checked and it's on there. I've scanned it for you and saved it to photobucket but the quality diminished due to pb's resizing.

Not sure about copyright if I post it here either.

Why not send me a PM and I'll e-mail you the full size scan?

I'm taking requests if anyone else has an interest in 1962 London

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='Anthony McKay']Has anyone out there got a 1960's edition of the London A to Z which still has Gilden Road, NW5 on it?

May I ask if Gilden Road is a Film location?.......I'm going to a couple of places in London this Saturday, I may be able to fit it in (if anythings there!) and take a 'now' pic........

Liked
    44 times
    name='Mark O']May I ask if Gilden Road is a Film location?.......I'm going to a couple of places in London this Saturday, I may be able to fit it in (if anythings there!) and take a 'now' pic........

Top man markO. I think Anthony is on "kiwi" time so he'll get around to us later

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    I think Tony's referring to Gilden Road's appearance in a BW epsiode of The Saint - The High Fence - that featured a lot of location filming in the area. But I'm pretty sure it's now totally unrecognisable. There's a great film location nearby though - 8 Royal College Street is one of the few buildings left that can be seen in the sequence from the '56 remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much where James Stewart tries to find Ambrose Chapel. It has a blue plaque dedicated to the time it was home to the French poets Rimbaud and Verlaine.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    I've got a 1968 London Atlas but unfortunately Gilden Road is right on the join of the page so isn't very clear.

Liked
    44 times
    name='mariocki']I've got a 1968 London Atlas but unfortunately Gilden Road is right on the join of the page so isn't very clear.

Happens too often

It's clear as a bell on mine so I hope it will be good enough for our colleague

Liked
    202 times
    name='Cooper S']I think Tony's referring to Gilden Road's appearance in a BW epsiode of The Saint - The High Fence - that featured a lot of location filming in the area. But I'm pretty sure it's now totally unrecognisable. There's a great film location nearby though - 8 Royal College Street is one of the few buildings left that can be seen in the sequence from the '56 remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much where James Stewart tries to find Ambrose Chapel. It has a blue plaque dedicated to the time it was home to the French poets Rimbaud and Verlaine.

Right then!........I've printed out a few multi-maps, 8 Royal College St. I'll be snapping (I assume it's at the lower end of the street?)

I've written down where Gilden Street was, Anthony, if you could let me know the approximate area of the former Gilden Street that interests you is I'll snap that too!

After that I'm heading to Alistair Sim's former home, before I return to my own home from Fenchurch Street I'll be checking out the Sea Horse Pub as seen in Robbery and pictured on the J.P. Jones shop thread to see if it's hopefully still standing!

Any other blue plaque places or Locations anyone would like me to take a now pic of?

Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Guys,

I've just sent Chevyman my E-mail address.

The locations I'm after are indeed from The Saint - I was wanting to know if any of the streets seen round Gilden Road (named in the episode) still exist.

Location Spotting 83

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='Mark O']Right then!........I've printed out a few multi-maps, 8 Royal College St. I'll be snapping (I assume it's at the lower end of the street?)

I'm pretty sure it's opposite the junction to Plender Street, which James Stewart walks along. The buildings on Plender Street are no longer there, and after that it's anybody's guess where he goes !

Liked
    44 times
    name='Anthony McKay']Thanks Guys,

The locations I'm after are indeed from The Saint - I was wanting to know if any of the streets seen round Gilden Road (named in the episode) still exist.

Location Spotting 83

You have mail

Liked
    32 times

Location Spotting 83

Comparing the two, it appears that Dale Road and Gilden Road which ran parrallel (east to west) with Vicars Road have gone and to the west, Allcroft Road and Ashdown Road (?) which ran parrallel to Weedington Road (north to south) have gone. It looks like there was another road to the east of Weedington, which also ran parrallel with it, that has also gone but I can't make out the name.

Liked
    32 times
    name='Mark O']I'll be checking out the Sea Horse Pub as seen in Robbery and pictured on the J.P. Jones shop thread to see if it's hopefully still standing!

Good stuff Mark, if you make it there could you take one of the opposite end of the street from where the pub is to see what Gateway House now looks like? Thanks in anticipation.

In sequence:

Liked
    44 times

Location Spotting 83

Your e-mail was sent. Did you get it safely?

Gilden Road is in square "H"

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='mariocki']Comparing the two, it appears that Dale Road and Gilden Road which ran parrallel (east to west) with Vicars Road have gone and to the west, Allcroft Road and Ashdown Road (?) which ran parrallel to Weedington Road (north to south) have gone. It looks like there was another road to the east of Weedington, which also ran parrallel with it, that has also gone but I can't make out the name.

The road to the east of Weedington Road is CARLTOUN STREET

Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Cheveyman - it looks like there might be a couple of mid-terrace houses on Grafton Road that have survived from the episode, but all else in dust and memories.

Liked
    202 times
    http://www.hipkiss.org/data/maps/bar...0_1516_600.jpg

Here's a link to an old map of the area, click over the Kentish town area and the streets that were are there, just to the right/below of the former Haverstock Hill Rail Station.

Grafton Road was once Carlton Road, Gilden Road is unmarked but I assume one of the two former streets below Vicars Road which still stands....

I've become totally intrigued by all this as well!.........had a look at the 'Saint' pics of the Streets, I'll see whats left tomorrow

Liked
    6 times
    After two weeks of intensive 'The Saint' watching I've noticed the same areas popping up again and again so this Gilden Road research may pay dividends with other unknown streets. It's also been interesting to see how the shadows of Victorian London were still evident in the early '60s