+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Guys and Dolls

For those that might be interested, the Dennis Waterman 'Minder' episode - "Sorry pal, wrong number", from Series 4 contains many shots at a railway station called Acton Green. This actually is a fictional name, the station is really South Acton and the allotments to the side of the station were once the terminus of an underground branch line from Acton Town

David

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Cheers David! I was only watching this episode the other day. South Acton station is also where Nigel Davenport boards a train in 'Villain' (1971)

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Some location shots and a fair bit of narrative about this location:-

South Acton

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    YouTube location clip:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JtdFQm5_RkU&watch_response]YouTube - Minder Wrong Number All Saint's Rd Dec 2007[/ame]

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Acton Green - fictional name. That's why I couldn't find it on any map of London railways stations.

Thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    name='dave333444']Hi Guys and Dolls

For those that might be interested, the Dennis Waterman 'Minder' episode - "Sorry pal, wrong number", from Series 4 contains many shots at a railway station called Acton Green. This actually is a fictional name, the station is really South Acton and the allotments to the side of the station were once the terminus of an underground branch line from Acton Town

David

I've just remembered another Minder oddity. Most of the outdoor footage was shot in and around West London but in one Gary Webster episode, where Arthur decides to hire his car lot cars out, Arthur's stopped by Inspector Morley to tell him one of his hired cars is speeding up the motorway. It's an outdoor scene, filmed in Stratford, East London, which has always struck me as odd, as as far as I know there were no other outdoor shots taken in East London

David

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    8 times
    In the Gary Webster episodes, the Winchester Club was in Acton (the exterior anyway) as was a fair bit of the filming for that series.

I was a postman in Acton at the time and remember Minder being filmed while on my rounds.

They used to film Big Deal there too and also some of the early Bill episodes were filmed there too.

Regarding the old District Line station at South Acton, it's a shame they closed and demolished it....I worked at Acton Town for a couple of years and it would of been great having a link to the National Rail services, but I suppose lack of demand forced the issue.

Liked
    0 times
    name='marty']In the Gary Webster episodes, the Winchester Club was in Acton (the exterior anyway) as was a fair bit of the filming for that series.

I was a postman in Acton at the time and remember Minder being filmed while on my rounds.

They used to film Big Deal there too and also some of the early Bill episodes were filmed there too.

Regarding the old District Line station at South Acton, it's a shame they closed and demolished it....I worked at Acton Town for a couple of years and it would of been great having a link to the National Rail services, but I suppose lack of demand forced the issue.

The South Acton Branch is in some DVDs from On-Line Video, their Undergroud discs are top notch loads of old footage good runtimes too

Dave

Liked
    44 times
    name='dave333444']The South Acton Branch is in some DVDs from On-Line Video, their Undergroud discs are top notch loads of old footage good runtimes too

Dave

Have you got a link for On-Line Video please?

The South Acton shuttle went the way of a few others which 'faced the wrong way'.................away from Central London.

Even further out, the Harrow to Belmont (LMR) branch followed the same fate

Liked
    0 times

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    What happened to the telephone boxes that were seen near the station in Minder?

Were they real telephones now removed by the authorities or were they fake props?

Dave.

Liked
    44 times
    name='dave333444']Here is the link

Trams, buses, trolleybuses, trains, steam & electric railways and shipping on DVD and VHS*from Online Video*-* homepage

Belmont is also on a couple of the dvds

David

Many thanks

Liked
    7 times
    name='David Brent']What happened to the telephone boxes that were seen near the station in Minder?

Were they real telephones now removed by the authorities or were they fake props?

Dave.
    I think they may have been props. Something didn't look quite authentic about them, but I can't think now what it was.

I was quite pleased with myself that I managed to work out where "Acton Green" was before the epiosde had finished, by checking all the Acton stations (including cloed ones) on Multimap's aerial photos and looking for the dead-end road that leads up to it.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='MartinU']I was quite pleased with myself that I managed to work out where "Acton Green" was before the epiosde had finished, by checking all the Acton stations (including cloed ones) on Multimap's aerial photos and looking for the dead-end road that leads up to it.

How did we manage before Multimap and Google Earth?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']How did we manage before Multimap and Google Earth?

Steve

We asked people on here!!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='bartonbank']We asked people on here!!!

And we drove around the places where we suspected they were filmed. I've done that myself spending many an interesting day walking or driving along country lanes, stopping off in country pubs - purely to check on local knowledge of course

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There's a scene in Villain where Vic (Richard Burton) and his heavies visit the owner of a used car lot. It bears a striking resemblance to the one used in Minder. Has anyone already confirmed/dissed this?

Might put this up in the Villain loctions thread...

Liked
    7 times
    Do you mean Edgar Lowis's car lot? That's Suffolk Road in Willesden according to the Villian thread. You see the sign when Vic arrives there for the first time and turns into Suffolk Road.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='MartinU']Do you mean Edgar Lowis's car lot? That's Suffolk Road in Willesden according to the Villian thread. You see the sign when Vic arrives there for the first time and turns into Suffolk Road.

Yes MartinU - thanks. And resembles the car lot in Minder? I bet someone can prove me wrong/right

Liked
    0 times
    name='David Brent']What happened to the telephone boxes that were seen near the station in Minder?

Dave.

They were props. Not sure how I know, it's something I remember reading or hearing a few years ago.