+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Here is a funny one from my collection - a very fancy private swimming pool which featured in DANGER MAN: The Professionals.

And no this is NOT the naturist pool from A Shot in the Dark.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It looks like the one used in the 'Sweet Sue' episode of Man in a Suitcase.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='batman']It looks like the one used in the 'Sweet Sue' episode of Man in a Suitcase.

I'll have to dig out Sweet Sue - I'm not sure this is the same place...

Smudge

Liked
    255 times
    name='smudge']I'll have to dig out Sweet Sue - I'm not sure this is the same place...

Smudge

You're probably right .... it sticks in my mind mainly 'cos of McGill wearing white sports sock with beach shoes!

Wasn't there a swimming pool in the grounds of the studio were MIAS was shot ... it could have been that one in 'Sweet Sue'.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='batman']You're probably right .... it sticks in my mind mainly 'cos of McGill wearing white sports sock with beach shoes!

Wasn't there a swimming pool in the grounds of the studio were MIAS was shot ... it could have been that one in 'Sweet Sue'.

I think the one in Sue was a hotel in Bucks somewhere, with a long narrow space between hotel and pool - hence my thinking this may not be the same place.

The trees in the background on the Drake picture look more Surrey, in line with filming at Shepperton; the sorts of planting you see round Horsell/Woking etc...

Smudge

EDIT: Tony's AVENGERLAND site - Sue's pool was shot in Fulmer, Bucks...

Liked
    255 times
    Cheers smudge.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Yes, the Sweet Sue location was Alderbourne Arches but I'm pretty sure it's not the same location. The only one I could think of was Stock's at Aldbury but I don't think that's right either. I think The Professionals was actually a series 2 episode and therefore filmed at MGM so Herts/Bucks/Berks locations could still be in play.

Liked
    6 times
    I think the Sweet Sue location (which this is not) might have been Cubby Broccoli's home at the time.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times

Definitely not Cliveden then?

Liked
    6 times
    A clue. A clue!!!

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Isn't that the alien from Dark Star? Or could it be a prototype for Rover?

Nick

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's a colour picture of the pool house from my website:

The house in the background identified earlier should help - it's a 'modern' pool house in the grounds of a classical estate.

Thanks,

Matt

www.danger-man.co.uk

Liked
    6 times
    This is not a cheap shed, it an expensive modern structure - surely it must have featured in magazine articles or 'Country Life'. The stag trophy on the wall to the right might also be a clue.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Anthony McKay' timestamp='1282461404' post='466921']This is not a cheap shed, it an expensive modern structure - surely it must have featured in magazine articles or 'Country Life'. The stag trophy on the wall to the right might also be a clue.
    Just a hunch......... But.......... given that girls are actually IN that pool and not looking too chilly.......

Has the pool at the Thatched Barn hotel at Borehamwood been ruled out? The building in the background seems suitably *rustic*, but would have to additional to the main hotel. The hotel in the 1960's was frequented by showbiz *royalty*. This would also make sense of the rather Fashionista pool-house............and the most important point.... I have just read.......... by the 1960's its outdoor pool was heated ...

Avengerland says the pool features in "The Adventurer" a few years later. I've seen one picture of it back in the 1930's and the dimensions at least look right. It was evidently very close to the main building however, at one end, and I cannot recall if the pool in question is shot from all angles in the Danger man episode or just from one direction. The original post suggests all from one end, which would fit the bill.

Michael Winner must have known it....

Liked
    6 times
    name='Moor Larkin' timestamp='1283605392' post='471109']

Just a hunch......... But.......... given that girls are actually IN that pool and not looking too chilly.......

Has the pool at the Thatched Barn hotel at Borehamwood been ruled out? The building in the background seems suitably *rustic*, but would have to additional to the main hotel. The hotel in the 1960's was frequented by showbiz *royalty*. This would also make sense of the rather Fashionista pool-house............and the most important point.... I have just read.......... by the 1960's its outdoor pool was heated ...

Avengerland says the pool features in "The Adventurer" a few years later. I've seen one picture of it back in the 1930's and the dimensions at least look right. It was evidently very close to the main building however, at one end, and I cannot recall if the pool in question is shot from all angles in the Danger man episode or just from one direction. The original post suggests all from one end, which would fit the bill.

Michael Winner must have known it....

Sorry - the pool at the Thatched Barn roadhouse was a pretty dull afair as you guesssed, it was surrounded on three sides by the roadhouse - the changing rooms were in the same mock-tudor style as the rest of the building (by the boiler room tower on the Borehamwood side). On top of that - not on a hill and no near-by posh houses.

Liked
    6 times
    Here are a few shots of the pool from DEPARTMENT S

In the later years of the hotel, the new hotel wing looked over this area, but the pool had been grassed over long ago. It is this 'new wing' that survived the bulldozers.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    That took me back. I worked on the Thatched Barn after one of "its many fires" in the 70's. I remember they put a tartan carpet in the bar.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    this one's still evading us....

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mcourtman View Post
    Here's a colour picture of the pool house from my website:

The house in the background identified earlier should help - it's a 'modern' pool house in the grounds of a classical estate.

Thanks,

Matt

The Danger Man Website

nice Site you have there Matt.Danger Man is one of my favorites.
    Last edited by batman; 09-03-12 at 07:56 PM.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    It's been 18 months or so since the last post, so I thought I'd give the thread a bump. This one has always stuck in my mind for some reason. Is the thinking a private house or a hotel?