+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catweazle

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Was the Duck Halt Station real in Catweazle?, and any idea where was the tunnel he ran out of chased by a train?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='HIPPIEDAVE']Was the Duck Halt Station real in Catweazle?, and any idea where was the tunnel he ran out of chased by a train?

I hope these two references will be of help:

From the Zeta Minor - Catweazle Introduction:

The series was shot on film, making full use of locations around the base at the Halliford film studios.

Also: East Clandon - Catweazle

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Neither of those references say anything about the station.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='HIPPIEDAVE']Was the Duck Halt Station real in Catweazle?, and any idea where was the tunnel he ran out of chased by a train?

It would appear not ....

"In this forthcoming series, Catweazle lives in a disused railway station, which has been constructed in the outhouses at Brickendon. Some of the equipment used in the station has been borrowed from the Railway Museum Society, at Great Molewood, Hertford."

(from: '‘THE HERTFORDSHIRE MERCURY’ 21st August 1970)

The second series was filmed around the Bayford/Brickendon area in Hertfordshire in 1970.

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, the station reminded me of the derelict Alton Towers Station, so any idea where was the tunnel?

Liked
    0 times
    name='HIPPIEDAVE']Thank you, the station reminded me of the derelict Alton Towers Station, so any idea where was the tunnel?

I vaguely remember catweazle from when I was a child, what exactly was it about.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    name='Dai Bando']I vaguely remember catweazle from when I was a child, what exactly was it about.

He was atime travelling wizard/male witch from medieval times in modern Britain.

If you do a search I am sure there is another thread on it.

Here`s the beginning anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRYWUxmNkzU&feature=PlayList&p=AF7B47B9AD0 F55F4&index=0&playnext=1]YouTube - Catweazle - The Beginning[/ame]

xx

Liked
    0 times
    One of my prized possessions is a signed photo of Catweazel, I wrote to Geoffrey Bayldon and he sent a nice letter, are other's I wish I had written to such as my fave Dr Who Pat Troughton

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']He was atime travelling wizard/male witch from medieval times in modern Britain.

If you do a search I am sure there is another thread on it.

Here`s the beginning anyway.

YouTube - Catweazle - The Beginning

xx

Thanks both

I remember having a catweazle colouring book as a child.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    It's Molewood tunnel on the Hertford loop line. Funny thing - I was only watching this episode on DVD last night. The booklet mentions the tunnel location and that Duck Halt was a 'fake' station. The creator Richard Carpenter knew of a real derelict station in the area but the TV company decided to build their own - originally the idea was to have Catweazle living in a signal box.

Liked
    0 times
    aah thank you, is it in the UK dvd release booklet?, shows how well I read it then haha

Liked
    0 times
    i witnessed the filming of these scenes at bayford, as a child in the 70's, the tunnel used was the Ponsbourne tunnel between Bayford and Cuffley.....bayford side. Nearby can be found a rather large water tower too, which i believe from memory, was also used for exterior shots. As stated above, there was a guy who lived near the molewood tunnel, who had a massive collection of railway memorabilia, including signal boxes. So it is highly likely he was consulted or provided props.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I can only just remember Catweazle.

As a student I occasionally did astronomy at Bayfordbury, just up the line.

The tunnel is visible on Google maps, it's quite long considering how relatively flat the area is.

Banned Country: North Korea
    Liked
    195 times
    Catweazle -The Movie apparently starring Bill Nighy is still slated for a 2011 release according to IMDB.

However, other websites show it struggling to find funding.

Does anybody konw how this is progressing?

Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    Catweazle -The Movie apparently starring Bill Nighy is still slated for a 2011 release according to IMDB.

However, other websites show it struggling to find funding.

Does anybody know how this is progressing?
    Intandem films has it listed on their website as 'in production' with the cast as 'TBC' - but they also classify Telstar (2008) as one of their recent releases, so it could be a few years yet!

Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dame Starry View Post
    Intandem films has it listed on their website as 'in production' with the cast as 'TBC' - but they also classify Telstar (2008) as one of their recent releases, so it could be a few years yet!
    I love Catweasel. I`m really not sure about a film though. It`s a shame the youth of today don`t know about and purchase the origional series, rather than see big blockbuster productions which don`t hold the same atmosphere first.

Still, I shall try and reserve judgement, it might be ok.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I can answer a couple of these questions as I belong to the Catweazle fan club and we meet every year at both locations.

Duck Halt was not a real station but purpose built for filming the second series in the grounds of Brickendonbury. The whole estate was used for the series even in one scebne where it is supposed to be a busy street.

The tunnel was at Molewood and the name can be clearly seen in the episode where Catweazle is chased out of the tunnel by the train.

We have a locations dvd of series one that can be bought from the Catweazle Fan Club web site and series two dvd is in production as we had Gary Warren come along this year and film the introduction to it for us.

As regards the film, it is not in production just yet but hopefully filming will start in Spring 2012. The cast has not been decided yet although Rhys Ifans was tipped to play the lead but pretty sure that is not going to happen now.

Liked
    416 times
    Thanks for the info angel, what do your members feel about a film being made? Popular or not?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    At first, not so keen. The producer is a lovely man who completely involves us in everything concerning the film and is keen that we approve everything going on with it.
    We are hoping it will be an asset and will maybe revive the old series for tv