+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It ain't Corfu!

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    From MAN IN A SUITCASE: The Boston Square (Don Chaffey: February 1967)

Secrets agents play cat and mouse around the island of Corfu, i.e. Pinewood backlot and....?

The motor yacht is a Christina 38 provided by the London Power Boat Company - and I honestly can't remember how I know this!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Is that white tower in the distance a chimney? It looks too tall for a lighthouse.

Liked
    6 times
    It could be the radio antenna from the boat - it did not appear on every frame I scanned.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Anthony McKay']It could be the radio antenna from the boat - it did not appear on every frame I scanned.

No, it looks like a structure upon the land mass on my DVD. There's two of them, if it matters, though the one to right isn't visible on Mr. McKay's shot.

Liked
    0 times
    This did look vaguely familiar to me. I think it might be Cowes on the Isle Of Wight looking North towards the mainland. I have found the location on Flashearth (Google Earth won.t work on my computer). It shows the pier and the shorter pier and steps.

50 45 57.4 N

01 17 58.0 W

Maybe somebody can try these coordinates.

I can also clearly see the white building to the left.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    You could be on to something there Tony - looking on LiveMaps it looks like The Parade looking west towards Castle Hill. The landing areas seem to match and there's the 4 windowed building with an extension to the side that still appears to have the red and white check across the top.

Liked
    0 times

Liked
    0 times
    After a little bit more research I can see that the white structure is a red and white striped "awning" outside of the Royal Yacht Squadron building which they still have. So I am pretty sure that Cowes is standing in for Corfu.

Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Guys - I have to say that I am very surprised that they went that far, but this is the only location footage in the episode so they must have blown the budget on a trip to Cowes.

When DEPARTMENT S went to Devon the results were seen in a couple of episodes - but I can't think of any other MIAS locations that could have been shot during the same trip.