+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    This is an odd one. September 1966: due to the Associated British Studios being booked solid THE AVENGERS episode The Fear Merchants was filmed at Pinewood.

There are a couple of pick-up shots with day for night shooting around the Associated British Studios buildings, but there was also some location shooting around Pinewood Studio buildings as well. All of the other location work is filmed around Pinewood including sequences featuring the Bentley and Rolls seen in the following photos:

I'm thinking this must have been filmed within Pinewood Studios - but I can't find anything in new or old photos that matches.

Second choice would be Elstree, but I know most of the building fairly well, and again nothing fits.

Has anyone out there got any ideas?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Other than Denham and Ealing where i used to deliver metal film cans to i've not set foot inside the premises of other Brit-film studios, maybe a few stills of outside locations of the actual episode could help.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Tony

The two storey building in the background of image 6 (and possibly image 2) is the administration block behind stages L and M at Pinewood Studios.

The other images suggest Pinewood, but I cannot recognise their exact location.

However, the studio lot has undergone extensive development since the sixties and this may prevent the exact identification of the filming locations.

The person to talk to is Sam Mitchell... He's visited the studio on various occasions and knows the layout better than I do.

I assume you have looked over the studio lot with the various map sites on the net, including the 'bird's eye' facilities?

Mike

Liked
    6 times
    I can't find anything that matches using birds-eye of the new site. 70's photos indicate the mostly likely area for so many odd sheds and cars fould be round the back of the security block - but still nothing obvious.

Given the general design of 'modern' office block stuck on the end of the stage that Pinewood seems to go in for I would have said that the two-storey brick building is probably attached to the front or back of a stage.

Notice also that there seems to be a car ramp going upwards towards a roller door in the background.

As Mikey says - there have been a lot of changes at Pinewood over the years. But we can't assume this is Pinewood.

This may or may not be a clue: 'Cooper S' has just sent me a photo of the Portmeirion location filming from THE PRISONER featuring the red and cream mini bus seen in the 4th photo. This was of course a production based of MGM Borehamwood.

Liked
    0 times
    Tony

I take your point about the ramp and the accompanying white crash barrier. Don't you think that the administration building for stages L and M could have undergone some exterior changes during the passage of time from the sixties?

I suppose you could go through all the material you have on DVD that was shot at Pinewood during the same period, such as Man In A Suitcase and various Carry On films, in the hope of seeing the same part of the studio lot.

I tend to think that this location footage for The Avengers was not shot at MGM Borehamwood Studios...

The script requires a Rolls and then Steed's Bentley to be seen driving away. From that point of view it does not really matter if the production was at Pinewood or ABPC Elstree studios... Logically, the second unit would just step outside and film on the studio lot. I cannot see money being spent to allow even a small second unit to go and film on the lot at MGM.

However, covering all possibilities, I take it that you have checked out the few aerial shots of MGM Borehamwood Studios that exist on the net?

From my own experience I would say that these images are lacking in detail and probably make it very difficult to identify anything other than the large sound stages and backlot areas.

Mike

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Just a thought, any clues in Timelash?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I don't think this is the L&M admin block at Pinewood - that is built of a much redder brick. Also the modular production offices at Pinewood don't seem to have had the overhanging windows as in the one above the Bentley on picture 2.

Smudge

Liked
    6 times
    name='mariocki']Just a thought, any clues in Timelash?

I've been through 'Timelash' with a fine toothed combe - nothing works!

I spent a good hour on bird's eye last night and not one building at Pinewood matches.

The bugger of it is that the building looks like a 'modern' film stage, but if it isn't Pinewood and isn't ABP where the hell is it?

Liked
    0 times

This aerial image of Pinewood Studios reinforces what Tony has said regarding the area of the lot where the footage for The Fear Merchants was possibly filmed. To the west of the entrance are numerous single storey buildings and looks like the most likely area where the footage was filmed.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any images on the net to prove that the footage was filmed here.

Likewise, I have also been trawling through various images from the Carry On films shot on the studio lot, but again these have not given me any evidence…

The one piece of supporting evidence I located comes from the scene where Emma leaves the hospital in her silver Lotus Elan. This was definitely shot on the lot at Pinewood Studios, as it shows the two ancillary blocks that are joined to Stage A.

Liked
    0 times

As you can see from a recent aerial shot of the studio lot there has been a great deal of development and building since the earlier picture. The most likely location for the footage seen in The Fear Merchants still appears fairly intact and perhaps this area should be given a second look…

Anyone else have any ideas?

Liked
    6 times
    name='Mikey']The one piece of supporting evidence I located comes from the scene where Emma leaves the hospital in her silver Lotus Elan. This was definitely shot on the lot at Pinewood Studios, as it shows the two ancillary blocks that are joined to Stage A.

The two nurses walking across the road (round the back of the water tank) is the only bit of footage that can be identified as Pinewood. All the other studio building footage is clearly ABP Elstree.

Looking at old Pinewood photos narrows the range of possible locations at the current site even more and leaves me still scratching my head.

Andrew Kier is actually in the sequence seen getting into his car. Both Steed's Bentley and Kier's cars are filmed driving around Pinewood and Slough (with filming from inside the Rolls with Kier aboard) - all this would point to Pinewood. But there is no sign of the building which looks like a sound stage.

Another odd thing - "Escape in Time" which also used Pinewood has most of its location filming and bits shot around studio buildings with guest cast members back at Elstree.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Anthony McKay']The two nurses walking across the road (round the back of the water tank) is the only bit of footage that can be identified as Pinewood. All the other studio building footage is clearly ABP Elstree.

Looking at old Pinewood photos narrows the range of possible locations at the current site even more and leaves me still scratching my head.

Andrew Kier is actually in the sequence seen getting into his car. Both Steed's Bentley and Kier's cars are filmed driving around Pinewood and Slough (with filming from inside the Rolls with Kier aboard) - all this would point to Pinewood. But there is no sign of the building which looks like a sound stage.

Another odd thing - "Escape in Time" which also used Pinewood has most of its location filming and bits shot around studio buildings with guest cast members back at Elstree.

Yes, the two nurses scene is the piece of footage I am referring to.

Looking at the aerial shots of the studio lot, there appears to be very few parts of the studios where the footage could have been filmed.

In my opinion, the logical place to look for more views of the buildings seen in The Fear Merchants is episodes of Man In A Suitcase and possibly other film series shot at the studio during the late sixties and early seventies, such as Strange Report and Ther Persuaders!

Is there anyone out there who has intimate knowledge of the studio lot during this era?

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Perhaps this location is where the company that supplied the red and white van for the Prisoner filming was based ? Perhaps they may also have supplied the Rolls and the Bentley for the Avengers ? Would make sense to use their premises to film a sequence like this.

Liked
    0 times
    I seem to remember that there were two different companies listed in one of The Avengers Annuals who were credited with supplying the vintage Rolls Royces for the Thorson episodes. I don't remember who they were, but I think that one them was based in Radlett, near Borehamwood.

Presumably, the Bentleys were hired from the same places, so if someone can come up with the suppliers, perhaps they still exist and someone can can a look at their premises...

Liked
    0 times
    Follow the link to read a posting on another forum of someone who drove (at least one of Steed's Bentleys) to Elstre Studios in the sixties.

Bentley Drivers Club Forum :: View topic - An Avengers Bentley

Liked
    6 times
    I've just posted up some new photos on 'The Avengerland Studios" pages for the ABP Elstree Studios, mainly to prove to myself that this in't some hidden corner near Stage 9.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Looking at the empty background I would think this was Pinewood mid 60s.

Aitch,

Liked
    6 times
    I agree Aitch - everything points to Pinewood, but there is this distinctive newish buiding that we can't find.

I've posted up some Pinewood images at Pinewood Buildings.htm to help with the search.

Some of the images are from 1970 and feature a set recreating Horse Guards. I suspect this was being used for the film 'Zeppelin' - can anyone confirm this?

Liked
    0 times
    name='Cooper S']Perhaps this location is where the company that supplied the red and white van for the Prisoner filming was based ? Perhaps they may also have supplied the Rolls and the Bentley for the Avengers ? Would make sense to use their premises to film a sequence like this.

Having done a little research, it appears that the two companies who rented vintage vehicles to The Avengers were called Kingsbury Cars and Farcroft Motors.

Kingsbury Cars or rather Kingsbury Motors as they are now called are currently based at 8 Salisbury Square, London and a quick look on Google Earth showed me that their premises are nothing like the location where the footage for The Fear Merchants was shot. Of course they might not have been based there in the sixties… as suggested by Cooper S.

The other supplier Farcroft Motors appear to have gone out of business, as I cannot locate a thing about them on the net.

In an attempt to find another instance of The Fear Merchants filming location being used in another production, I have watched several episodes of Man In A Suitcase (Jigsaw Man, The Whisper, No Friend Of Mine and The Girl Who Never Was) that use the Pinewood Studios lot and backlot. Unfortunately, none of the above has any footage shot in same place, as the one we’re looking for.

As I don’t think the footage was shot at what was then ABPC’s Elstree Studios, then we’re back at the Pinewood studio lot… Well that’s unless someone can turn up something new…

Liked
    6 times
    I was thinking that another option might be to trace the route that the Rolls takes on its nightmare journey just in case the location was the actual starting point.

This would be very unlikely I know, given two real actors and sound. But the red and white van might have been there to carry all the equipment.