+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    DANGER MAN: The Paper Chase (Shepperton Studios: 1966)

Eddie Geld sends John Drake (Patrick McGoohan) to a safe house run by Madame Nandina. He is met at the door by Canesi (Sandor Ellis). Later Drake follows Laprade (Ferdy Mayne) from the house.

Any ideas?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Snazzy car, a Lancia ain't it?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Looking at this screen-shot when Drake drives away from the house (featured in the Danger Man episode 'The Paper Chase') there is a bend in the road and before that a turn-off to the left.

There is a pavement on the left-hand side of the road, and road signs where the turn-off is. There is also a building on the T-Junction possibly a Church?

This is what a birds-eye view would look like:

Other Danger Man episodes filmed at Shepperton Studios used nearby locations in the Shepperton and Walton-on-Thames area. This doesn't look too built up.

Maybe this will help some eagle-eyed Google-earth viewers out there?

Matt

Liked
    0 times
    Reminds me of DATCHET? I used to drive through it on my way to Windsor Barracks in the sixties?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    name='mcourtman']Looking at this screen-shot when Drake drives away from the house (featured in the Danger Man episode 'The Paper Chase') there is a bend in the road and before that a turn-off to the left.

This is what a birds-eye view would look like:

Other Danger Man episodes filmed at Shepperton Studios used nearby locations in the Shepperton and Walton-on-Thames area. This doesn't look too built up.

Maybe this will help some eagle-eyed Google-earth viewers out there?

Matt

Thanks Matt - this reminds me of my early location spotting days when I only had sketches (no off-screen photos) and OS maps to work with. It still amazes me just how many locations I was able to find with those simple tools.

Liked
    0 times
    DATCHET seems a bit 'out of the way' for them to go.

Liked
    0 times
    Just read the script for this episode and it states the house as Number 56 - so I imagine the white "56's" were added for filming purposes.

Senior Member Country: Lithuania Cooper S's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    name='Anthony McKay']this reminds me of my early location spotting days when I only had sketches (no off-screen photos) and OS maps to work with. It still amazes me just how many locations I was able to find with those simple tools.

Same here ! I seem to remember we both used the same technique and arrived at the same conclusion to find the cottage from the UFO episode A Question of Priorities. Viewing technology's moved on a lot since than, hasn't it ?

Now, what about the thatched cottage from Flightpath....?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Love the car and the house - looks like one for Alan F

Liked
    0 times
    Anyone got any ideas on this....it's been a while.

Thanks

Matt

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Still looking Matt. It reminded me of The White House in Denham but I'm pretty sure it isn't as the road layout doesn't match.

Liked
    0 times
    name='mariocki' timestamp='1281169506' post='461370']

Still looking Matt. It reminded me of The White House in Denham but I'm pretty sure it isn't as the road layout doesn't match.

Thanks Mariocki. Would love to find this one as I haven't found a location from this Danger Man episode.

Matt

Liked
    7 times
    They presumably got the local police to close off at least sections of both of those roads so that they could position / drive cars on the 'wrong' side of the road. That would perhaps have dictated a very quiet rural as opposed to leafy suburban location to minimise disruption.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='alan gowdy' timestamp='1281444442' post='462760']They presumably got the local police to close off at least sections of both of those roads so that they could position / drive cars on the 'wrong' side of the road. That would perhaps have dictated a very quiet rural as opposed to leafy suburban location to minimise disruption.
    Around 1964 my brother and I used to sit by the side of urban roads and *collect* license-plate numbers of the occasional motor car as it ambled past.... It was a sort of poor boy's train-spotting...

I'm not sure you would have necesarily needed massive traffic management in them days.......

Liked
    7 times
    name='Moor Larkin' timestamp='1281444664' post='462761']

Around 1964 my brother and I used to sit by the side of urban roads and *collect* license-plate numbers of the occasional motor car as it ambled past.... It was a sort of poor boy's train-spotting...

I'm not sure you would have necesarily needed massive traffic management in them days.......

Indeed.

Displaying my scant knowledge of Danger Man, I thought only one series was based at Shepperton with the others at Elstree. If so (and I could be wrong, feel free to correct me!) are we sure this was a Shepperton episode?

Liked
    4 times
    name='alan gowdy' timestamp='1281446529' post='462780']I thought only one series was based at Shepperton with the others at Elstree. If so (and I could be wrong, feel free to correct me!) are we sure this was a Shepperton episode?

According to contemporary film production reports, The Danger Man crew moved to Shepperton sometime in April/May 1965 and remained there until the last episode was shot. 'Paper Chase' was the penultimate episode to be filmed, so it would have been a Shepperton based episode.

Liked
    120 times
    name='Cooper S' timestamp='1281476101' post='462969']According to contemporary film production reports, The Danger Man crew moved to Shepperton sometime in April/May 1965 and remained there until the last episode was shot. 'Paper Chase' was the penultimate episode to be filmed, so it would have been a Shepperton based episode.
    On the other hand, the final monochrome episode was location-filmed nowhere near Shepperton.....

I've been wondering recently if one of the reasons McGoohan initially had for creating his own production company to do the prisoner, was so that he could arrange things to work at a studio nearer home again .......

Liked
    4 times
    name='Moor Larkin' timestamp='1281517292' post='463054']

On the other hand, the final monochrome episode was location-filmed nowhere near Shepperton.....

I've been wondering recently if one of the reasons McGoohan initially had for creating his own production company to do the prisoner, was so that he could arrange things to work at a studio nearer home again .......

Mmm. Don't think there are that many seaforts in the Shepperton area. Expensive villas on the other hand are two a penny !

I can't recall what reason there was for Danger Man to move its production base from Shepperton. Was it down to other productions having booked space in advance ? By the time The Prisoner was in production perhaps stages had become available again. I'd agree that MGM was certainly more convenient for PMG.

Liked
    120 times
    name='Cooper S' timestamp='1281534154' post='463147']I can't recall what reason there was for Danger Man to move its production base from Shepperton.
    Maybe Sidney Cole lived that way, from his Walton days..........

After all, he was the new Number Two...........

Liked
    4 times
    name='Cooper S' timestamp='1281534154' post='463147']

I can't recall what reason there was for Danger Man to move its production base from Shepperton.

Oops ! I meant 'to' Shepperton !