+ Reply to Thread
    Liked
    0 times
    Fantastic Film Done By the BBC as a tv only movie, It portarys theresa (Anne-Marie Duff of shamless fame.) Set in the ultra conservative Ireland of the 60s, it portrays how Catholic women were punished because they became pregnant out of wedlock.

Very similar film to the magdalene sisters that also starred Anne-marie Duff. But in my mind was far superior in its portrayal of the true events in the magdalene laundries, viewers of the magdalene sisters movie who were in the real laundries have expressed that they to believed the movie was to soft in its portrayal, and unlike both film show it homed children ofall ages notjust women

Also Known As

Candlelight (UK) (working title)

The Magdalen Laundry (Ireland: English title)

Banned Country: North Korea
    Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lally03
    Fantastic Film Done By the BBC as a tv only movie, It portarys theresa (Anne-Marie Duff of shamless fame.) Set in the ultra conservative Ireland of the 60s, it portrays how Catholic women were punished because they became pregnant out of wedlock.

Very similar film to the magdalene sisters that also starred Anne-marie Duff. But in my mind was far superior in its portrayal of the true events in the magdalene laundries, viewers of the magdalene sisters movie who were in the real laundries have expressed that they to believed the movie was to soft in its portrayal, and unlike both film show it homed children ofall ages notjust women

Also Known As

Candlelight (UK) (working title)

The Magdalen Laundry (Ireland: English title)
    Yes, I saw that mini-series. It was a shattering piece of work and indeed superior to The Magdalene Sisters film which appeared shortly afterwards. Possibly because of the film, this drama has been unfairly neglected - but it had the time and space to go much more deeply into the subject. I felt the film pulled some of its punches - especially over the sexual abuse of the women perpetrated by the priests and overlooked by the nuns in charge.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Whats harder to imagine is that these places exsisted up until the 70's imagine if it was today there wouldn't be enough magdaline laundries to take in all the un married mothers. These places were harsh and women had their babies forced from them after birth to be placed for adoption, thankgod these place's no longer exisit and people's attitudes have changed. People cared more about what the neighbours would say and followed the church to much, sadly it was the way it was. Whats even more sickining is the church were doing far more horrible deads than these poor girls.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm glad of the films revealing some of these atrocities. It has been largely a hidden shame within the Catholic community that some institutions run by the church were seriously misguided and corrupt - and not just in Ireland.

My own family has personal experience of some of their institutions and the way some treated orphans is absolutely heartbreaking. Just for example - in a particular Welsh orphanage they took the children of mothers who had died during childbirth (partly caused, no doubt, by the Catholic Church's insistence on using no contraception and the vast families these women were forced to produce) and treated them like inmates in a borstal.

They were washed with household cleaning fluids, beaten for any minor misdemeanour, any gifts sent to them were locked away in a glass clase that they weren't allowed to touch... there were pleasant experiences along the way, apparantly, dependant, as in prison, I should imagine, down to the individual behaviour of a particular nun.

I had a very good, brief experience of nuns once when I collapsed of heatstroke whilst backpacking. Thinking back, I'm not quite sure why they didn't take me to the hospital, but after being taken there, they looked after me with a great deal of kindness for several days and had, even then, unmarried mothers living there that they were trying to help house.

Although the one hand, they were taking children in and caring for them, the state should have taken a stronger hand both here and in Ireland.

What can be drawn from it, perhaps, is how unwise it was of the state to let uneducated, unqualified, unvetted religious fanatics take responsibility for vulnerable, traumatised children and young women.