Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

What was saved in the last few weeks of the old Britmovie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was saved in the last few weeks of the old Britmovie?

I was always aware that posts submitted after 2nd January wouldn't make it to this version of Britmovie. Nevertheless, we still continued as if the inevitable were never going to happen, even though the new Forum was already well underway. Wearysloth said he would do his best to save as much as he could, including the Established Members threads, but I fear most contributions have been lost. Did anyone else attempt to preserve the January-March 2017 threads?

Very few in my case: Peter Skellern, Gorden Kaye and Alec McCowen at Obituaries, Rowdon's Albert and Victoria, Anthony McKay's Rendezvous and Fair Exchange (all British Television), and a solitary post at what I think was the very last Britmovie thread, Barbara Steele, created by Stephen Pickard. I also kept the last ten pages of 'Movie Dude's Most Wanted'.

On the final day, I started saving the Sgt. Pepper cover tribute, along with two other threads from the music section: 'The Beatles White Album collage' and 'Your First LP/Earliest LP's. All of them contained attachments that didn't transfer to the filmdope copy, which is actually a Guest's copy of the Forum (how it looked if you weren't 'logged in').

As the second half of the Pepper thread is dominated by now-broken attachments, it won't make sense to future visitors so it was important to keep it in its original form. I managed to do that by opening each page in different tabs and leaving the computer on for three days, print-screening the last posts nearly 48 hours after Britmovie disappeared. With nearly all of the original photographs (and waxworks) tracked down, I hope to start the project again in time for the album's 50th anniversary.

But what about Ray's Barbara Stanwyck thread? He only ever posted attachments so unless fans knew what to do I'm afraid they're too late.

I noticed in the thread "The End is Nigh" in the old site, Wearysloth told us several times to let him know of anything in particular we wanted saved after 2nd Jan. and in order to add them to the Archive, he said he needed to be given the URLs, otherwise anything you've saved yourself can't be shared.

Sad about Ray's attached images, but at least the thread itself is still there and external links work OK.

Comment

I have an additional 19 pages for the threads
      who are these people
      movie dudes most wanted
      dave screencaps most wanted

that I have to load in to the archive (spot my allegiance)
      and I'll try to get a few more before the old site does finally dip below the waves this coming weekend

Edit: I might have a been a bit optimistic there the rotting hulk of the original site is extremely difficult to navigate
      http://80.79.131.11/forums/british-television/

don't hold your breath awaiting them to appear on the filmdope.com site though, it will be a pain getting them there, but they are safe.
      Looking back I wish I'd been a bit more forceful telling people to move over here instead of wandering round saying "oh, the ship seems to have hit smallish iceberg, nothing to worry about"
      Last edited by Wearysloth; 9th March 2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
        Did anyone else attempt to preserve the January-March 2017 threads?

Just wearysloth then. Very disappointing that no-one else seems to have bothered saving anything, particulary from Obituaries and Established Members. I regret not keeping 'Tchaikovsky snippet used as sports programme theme', one of the last challenges at the old forum. Can original poster Pamela remind us what the tune was?

I am missing the old Britmovie terribly. Unless more "paintwork" is planned to improve the design I can't say I'm happy with the new look. It reminds me of the time the Forum went grey for a short while, following a change of server in 2010 - not as attractive to look at. Hopefully it wil revert back to the classic orange and black one last time.

Gone are the days when a Britmovie thread would be among the first Google search results for a number of actors and actresses. Even my joint tribute to Donald Churchill and Pauline Yates hasn't made it to the front page. I can still access the filmdope copy by typing 'britmovie' after their names, and have so far succeeded with other threads. If you've made a note of the titles, chances are you'll find them easily enough, thanks to wearysloth.

With the majority of threads safely archived, I suggest we add '(Continued)', or 'Part 2', to those we might like to resurrect. I'll start with Ann Barrass. One good thing about starting anew is that I can do a better job of organising the Posters and Newspapers threads. Rather than bunch them all together, I've decided to create separate categories for film and travel posters and give the Daily Mirror and Daily Express their own place (' ... on Screen'). I hope this meets with the approval of the Moderators. All being well, Vintage Radios will return soon and I've also managed to sort myself out regarding the long-planned 'Home Entertainment Equipment on Screen'.

Full of ideas, as usual, but concerned that a number of favourites have yet to post (mariocki, Westengland) or even re-join (billy farmer, Movie Dude, Simon Coward). Their interest has certainly helped to keep me going all these years.
        Last edited by cornershop15; 25th March 2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I take it that Stephen Pickard's postings of the film journals Kine Weekly and The Daily Cinema were saved?

Comment

I'm just grateful, particularly to wearysloth, that we have what we have. It must have been a mammoth task to get everything up and running so that we could continue. There was a danger that old site could have been completely lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
              I take it that Stephen Pickard's postings of the film journals Kine Weekly and The Daily Cinema were saved?
              Only if someone asked for it to be saved in the months leading up to the changeover. There were warning notices on the old site for some time

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tyne View Post
                I'm just grateful, particularly to wearysloth, that we have what we have. It must have been a mammoth task to get everything up and running so that we could continue. There was a danger that old site could have been completely lost.
                My sentiments precisely.

Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 28th March 2017, 02:37 PM. Reason: (unnecessary remark deleted)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Only if someone asked for it to be saved in the months leading up to the changeover. There were warning notices on the old site for some time

Steve
                  Steve

Yes, someone did and those classic '60s copies of Kine Weekly and the Daily Cinema are there and accessible.

Comment

Working...
                  X