Careful with Those Copyrights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derick Angerman View Post
    I have never been one to post a picture on Brit forums website. Copyright issues. I notice several Brit movie web site subscribers have posted a picture or a movie clip from a film which very well have a copyright. How long do copyright stay in effect? Let’s say a picture from a RKO radio company film made in 1942. It has a copyright on the film. RKO films no longer exist. So is the copyright still in effect? Another example. Invasion of the body snatchers, copyright 1956 by Allied Artists. Is that copyright still in effect. Yes, Paramount purchase the rights to that film. Allied Artists no longer exist.
    Yes, and yes, and definitely yes. Copyright in the UK is very complicated and is often changed by changes in the various laws. But it usually depends not when something was made or even when it was first released but from the death of the longest lived of the principal contributors - which in itself is wide open to interpretation

Then there’s the other wildcard of when companies are involved which have since folded. But copyrights, like screening rights, can be bought and sold. Worse, they are sometimes bought & sold in batches or blocks, which can then be sold on in sub-divided blocks.

That’s why copyright lawyers get so rich. They charge big bucks trying to track it all down

See Wikipedia’s page about “Copyright law of the United Kingdom”

Steve

Comment

Steve, you are 100 per cent right when it comes down to some lawyers dealing with copyright issues. They sit in their offices, scan through the news and internet, find something that could violate a copyright, with money signs in their eyes, a glee and a smile on their faces, launch a suit . Yes, here in America, like Britain complicated laws regarding copyright issues are in effect.

Comment

They sit in their offices, scan through the news and internet, find something that could violate a copyright, with money signs in their eyes, a glee and a smile on their faces,
        You've actually witnessed such a scene, have you?
        I don't think it works quite like that!

You seem to have a very low opinion of lawyers. They are the devil incarnate....... until you need one.

Comment

I, personally don’t have anything against the lawyers. In today society they are needed. Wills, property purchases, car accidents and various other problems require a lawyer. But like every profession, their are good and bad.

Comment

I, personally don’t have anything against the lawyers. In today society they are needed. Wills, property purchases, car accidents and various other problems require a lawyer....
            ...like copyright violation.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

...like copyright violation.
              Or even just trying to figure out who currently holds the copyright to a particular work, or even if it’s still in copyright

Steve

Comment

They sit in their offices, scan through the news and internet, find something that could violate a copyright, with money signs in their eyes, a glee and a smile on their faces, launch a suit .

I, personally don’t have anything against the lawyers.
                Really?

Comment

Working...
                X