Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Old members, new names?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old members, new names?

I'm not altogether comfortable with the phrase "old members" .... but anyway:

Is this covered anywhere else? Some returning members (myself included) seem to have changed their usernames.

Could we just state the change plainly - here for example - to avoid confusion?

For example, on the old site, I was Rowdon.

I'm sure old members guessed from the avatar, but just in case.

Cheers.

I have retained my username and my avatar. I must say it feels a little strange, but, I am getting used to it. Have a good Sunday. kelp.

Comment

I'm a little curious as to why established members would want to change their user names?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Figure View Post
        I'm a little curious as to why established members would want to change their user names?
        Possibly because they chose a user name on the old site and they no longer like them?

Personally, I don't understand why anyone should use a secret user name and not their real name. Do people have anything to hide?

Steve Crook (my real name)

Comment

Originally posted by Seaton View Post

Could we just state the change plainly - here for example - to avoid confusion?
          For example, on the old site, I was Rowdon.
          I'm sure old members guessed from the avatar, but just in case.
          Gosh, that's going to take a bit of getting used to, Rowdon I mean Seaton!

I've kept my ShirlGirl avatar, too.

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Possibly because they chose a user name on the old site and they no longer like them?
          ...or are tired of them and want a change.
          When I joined the old Britmovie, I just picked the first thing that popped into my head, which was my nickname at school.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone should use a secret user name and not their real name. Do people have anything to hide?
          YES, they want to hide their true identity!
          Some people prefer to protect their privacy on the internet, some might simply like the idea of having pen name.

But since you've brought it up, why do so many authors write under a nom-de-plume?

Why did the Beatles use so many different names?

Comment

I can't think of any reasons why anyone would want to use a non de plume...

Yours
            Zebediah Treblecock

Comment

When you get to my age, it's difficult enough to remember new passwords, let alone new user names.

It's good to see which of the old 'forumers' have moved across, as in it's a shame xxxxx, doesn't post on the new forum.

Also, apart from the name, avatar, posting style etc., how do we know it's the real Steve Crook?

Comment

How many posts before you're not a junior member anymore ?.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckEddie View Post
                  When you get to my age, it's difficult enough to remember new passwords, let alone new user names.

It's good to see which of the old 'forumers' have moved across, as in it's a shame xxxxx, doesn't post on the new forum.

Also, apart from the name, avatar, posting style etc., how do we know it's the real Steve Crook?
                  There must be thousands of Steve Crooks ' in the world. He could be any one of them !

Comment

How many people are there calling themselves 'ChuckEddie'?

Originally posted by oddbodjunior View Post
                    There must be thousands of Steve Crooks ' in the world. He could be any one of them !
                    There are surprisingly (or not surprisingly) few, and very few that are also interested in P&P or any other old films

Steve

(and very few who sign every post as 'Steve')

Comment

How many people are there calling themselves 'ChuckEddie'?

There are surprisingly (or not surprisingly) few, and very few that are also interested in P&P or any other old films

Steve

(and very few who sign every post as 'Steve')
                      I am unique.

Comment

I am unique.
                        We all think that

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
                          I can't think of any reasons why anyone would want to use a non de plume...

Yours
                          Zebediah Treblecock
                          Haha, very good! No doubt you would pronounce it treb-le-co.
                          I used to know someone with the surname Cockburn and it was pronounced Coburn.
                          There is a name "Trebilcock" which is pronounced with the emphasis on "bil'.

Comment

• cassidy
                            cassidy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mike Trebilcock used to play for Everton and scored twice in the 1966 FA Cup Final.

I'm with you on that, Steve. After a couple of disparaging comments on the old forum, I considered using a nom d' Internet for the new version but feels counter intutative to be voicing opinions on other people's work from behind a pseudonym.

Comment

I'm still rjd0309, still a fan of Rita Tushingham.

My avatar has changed over the years. It started off as Sledge Hammer, then Guy from "Galaxy Quest". Now it's Calvin from the cartoon strip "Calvin & Hobbes".

Comment

Working...
                            X