Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Old members, new names?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Haha, very good! No doubt you would pronounce it treb-le-co.
    I used to know someone with the surname Cockburn and it was pronounced Coburn.
    There is a name "Trebilcock" which is pronounced with the emphasis on "bil'.
    Over and up here in Scotland, Cockburn is always pronounced "Coburn".

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

What about the Cholmondleys (pron: Chumleys) and the Featherstonehaughs (pron: Fanshaws)?
      A dance troupe (or two troupes)

You can never tell how any real name (people or places) is pronounced by looking at the spelling. It's up to the people with that name or who live in that place

Steve

Comment

There was a Scottish sports reporter here called Brian Marjoribanks known to all and sundry, including himself, as "Brian Marshbanks". And how would you pronounce "Alves" and "Findochty"?

Comment

The 'sloth and I go way back. I shall remain the sloth until my email maxes out and then I shall choose something else.

Comment

MikeR is gone and I'm Mikey, as per other forms, which shall remain nameless.

Comment

There was a Scottish sports reporter here called Brian Marjoribanks known to all and sundry, including himself, as "Brian Marshbanks". And how would you pronounce "Alves" and "Findochty"?
              Anybody who has seen Carry On Cruising knows that Marjoribanks is pronounced Marshbanks (Kenneth William's character)!

As for user names, I have upgraded to a capital "O".

Comment

In that case I can't see the point in retaining the 'ck'. Might as well drop it .
                Think of all the biro you waste signing your name.
                The same goes for others mentioned above, also Dalziel, if it is always pronounced D L, as in the TV series....?

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post
                As for user names, I have upgraded to a capital "O".
                And rightly so, Odeonman! You deserve it.
                Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 6th March 2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

There's also the surname Menzies, which seems to be pronounced as spelled in the colonies, but is pronounced 'Mingus' in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
                    There's also the surname Menzies, which seems to be pronounced as spelled in the colonies, but is pronounced 'Mingus' in Scotland.

Colonies? What colonies?

If you mean Australia, we have been the Commonwealth of Australia since 1st January1901 if you don't mind!
                    Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 7th March 2017, 03:41 AM.

Comment

I've been doing my best to keep alive the memory of the late Darren Burn for years, so I may as well keep doing it on our grand new forum as I did on the old one with my avatar and screen name. So no change here.

David Rayner.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Colonies? What colonies?

If you mean Australia, we have been the Commonwealth of Australia since 1st January1901 if you don't mind!
                        I'll consider my botty duly smacked.

Comment

Well, even though I have only been around a short while on the old forum, I have got used to the name and shall stick with it. It was originally chosen as a monicker to use on forums where I often felt like the oldest one around. That hasn't proven to be the case here, so the cap doesn't actually fit, but I shall continue wearing it regardless.

I usually sign off PMs with my real name, but choose to keep it off the forums just to reduce the opportunities for spammers and phishers to gather my details from their bots. I usually try to conduct myself as though I were to be held accountable, so I'm not using the nom d'internet as an excuse to be rude or obnoxious. Although, considering what my wife said recently, "rude and obnoxious" are subjective terms and I may still come across that way without intention.

Very happy to see the new site looking and feeling like home already. I struggled with stupidity for a couple of days as I couldn't find the "reply" button to add my comments to the threads. It turns out I was not seeing the line at the very top of the page reminding me to "Login or Register". I had registered, but didn't notice I was logged out.

By the way, the password reset process is working fine, although the Email comes from "Forums" rather than "Britmovie".

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                            Well, even though I have only been around a short while on the old forum, I have got used to the name and shall stick with it. It was originally chosen as a monicker to use on forums where I often felt like the oldest one around. That hasn't proven to be the case here, so the cap doesn't actually fit, but I shall continue wearing it regardless.
                            Er, are you trying to tell us something, StoneAgeMan?

Attached Files

Comment

Oooh-err, I've been and gone and done it again! On other forums I felt I might struggle to be understood, so I chose to label myself as something descriptive of how they might view me. In this wise and gracious gathering of enthusiastic film fans, I feel more at home and maybe I should have chosen something that identified me as being more contemporary. Perhaps "Mr Lucas", "Mr Humphries" or "Mr Grainger"?

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                                Perhaps "Mr Lucas", "Mr Humphries" or "Mr Grainger"?
                                Or perhaps just your name?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X