Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Old members, new names?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
    Oooh-err, I've been and gone and done it again! On other forums I felt I might struggle to be understood, so I chose to label myself as something descriptive of how they might view me. In this wise and gracious gathering of enthusiastic film fans, I feel more at home and maybe I should have chosen something that identified me as being more contemporary. Perhaps "Mr Lucas", "Mr Humphries" or "Mr Grainger"?
    Longer names tend to get abbreviated or initialized in the forum, so you might find yourself being called SAM.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
      There's also the surname Menzies, which seems to be pronounced as spelled in the ex-colonies, but is pronounced 'Mingus' in Scotland.
      The one that always puzzles me is the way the Americans always seem to pronounce "Cecil" as "cee-cil"

Steve

Comment

I decided to keep it simple. Been Aaron on the old forum for donkeys years. If I liked modernity and change, I wouldn't have watched so many old films so many times!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

The one that always puzzles me is the way the Americans always seem to pronounce "Cecil" as "cee-cil"

Steve
          And Maurice as "Maur-eese" and Bernard as Ber-NARD.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
            And Maurice as "Maur-eese" and Bernard as Ber-NARD.

I think that's the French pronunciation....?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

I think that's the French pronunciation..
              Indeed it is, but it's irritating to hear Americans choose to say it that way when they choose to pronounce 'Notre Dame' as 'Notter Daym'.

Comment

I wonder why we all say "parris" for Paris, when the French pronunciation is "paree". All other French place names we try to pronounce correctly... I think, don't we?

Comment

There must be some exceptions to that rule. I can't think of any offhand, unless saying Wipers instead of Ypres qualifies, but shall try to do so. Of course, Lyon and Marseille become Lyons and Marseilles when you cross the Channel, but that isn't really the same thing.

I used to be Culpepper on the old boards, but have decided to ennoble myself; and, if you know me in real life (which I don't suppose any of you do) and if you know your old British films from the fifties (which I am sure every last one of you does), you may realise why the title I have selected for my peerage is so appropriate.

Comment

In that case, wouldn't Colpeper (from "A Canterbury Tale") have been more appropriate?

Steve

Comment

Edinburgh is often pronounced "Edinburrow" in America; in fact in the 20th Century-Fox 1938 version of Kidnapped, there is a road sign pointing the direction to Scotland's capital and proudly displaying "Edinburrow"!

Emphasis is sometimes different too: we tend to say ice CREAM, whereas it's usually ICE cream in America. Likewise (or is that likeWISE?), Robin HOOD usually is said as ROBIN Hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                        In that case, wouldn't Colpeper (from "A Canterbury Tale") have been more appropriate?
                        No, because I don't go round pouring glue over people's heads!!

Comment

Well, I'm still the same name as I was when I joined the original forum, although I'm not titled and I'm not called Kat although it's fine for forum purposes. I'm not sure why I chose it in the first place. For health and privacy reasons I don't use my real name firstly because I'm pretty sure my name is unique and don't want prying eyes - other faces from other places who have stalked me online before - identifying me; secondly it's so bloody long I'd probably run out of space if I tried to put it all in.

I thought about changing my name to barrywarrenfan a la darrenburnfan when we changed sites, but I've met lots of nice people who know me as LadyKat or Kat, so I stuck with it.

Kat :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
                            Edinburgh is often pronounced "Edinburrow" in America; in fact in the 20th Century-Fox 1938 version of Kidnapped, there is a road sign pointing the direction to Scotland's capital and proudly displaying "Edinburrow"!

Emphasis is sometimes different too: we tend to say ice CREAM, whereas it's usually ICE cream in America. Likewise (or is that likeWISE?), Robin HOOD usually is said as ROBIN Hood.
                            LIKEwise, Australians say ICE cream, but Robin HOOD.

Comment

I'm still Cinemal although I was absent for quite a while from the previous forum coping with serious health issues. My real name is Mal (colm) and I have used cine projectors for the past 50 years, hence Cinemal

Comment

Originally posted by Cinemal View Post
                                I'm still Cinemal although I was absent for quite a while from the previous forum coping with serious health issues. My real name is Mal (colm) and I have used cine projectors for the past 50 years, hence Cinemal
                                Great choice of name, Cinemal! Very sorry to hear you've been so ill and I hope you are well now.

Comment

Working...
                                X