Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Old members, new names?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

The one that always puzzles me is the way the Americans always seem to pronounce "Cecil" as "cee-cil"

Steve
    They used to do that on supersoap 'Dynasty', Lloyd Bochner who played Cecil Colby, was always pronounced 'Ceecil', except by Joan Collins as Alexis of course, being british, but many americans seem to regard England as meaning the whole of Britain !

Comment

The one that always puzzles me is the way the Americans always seem to pronounce "Cecil" as "cee-cil"

Steve
      I appreciate this isn't movie related, but many years ago I used to work in a photographic shop and we used to get quite a number of overseas visitors. I used to hear various pronunciations of different brands, for example, Nikon.....the Americans used to pronounce this as 'N-eye-kon' and the Chinese would say 'N-eee-kon'.

Comment

I recently found my brother pronounces Nikon as though it rhymed with "light on". This is annoying to me, as he is a teacher of photography, yet my wife is Japanese and she assures me that Nikon, as a Japanese company, should be pronounced "Ni-KON" (and when she says it, I am reminded of the archaic English word "begone").

Got to love the world and its ways.

Comment

Yes, it sounds like your brother pronounces it the American way with the letter 'i' being pronounced as 'eye'. It's the same with Ricoh. Some would pronounce it as 'Ree-coh' and others as 'Rai-coh'. I will always remember an elderly gentleman who always said it as 'Ree-ock' pronouncing the name with a 'k' at the end. A delightful man, but to this day I'll never know why he pronounced it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
            I recently found my brother pronounces Nikon as though it rhymed with "light on". This is annoying to me, as he is a teacher of photography, yet my wife is Japanese and she assures me that Nikon, as a Japanese company, should be pronounced "Ni-KON" (and when she says it, I am reminded of the archaic English word "begone").

Got to love the world and its ways.
            Well I've learned something today, because I had no idea. I've never had reason to actually say the name, but I've always thought it would rhyme with bygone rather than begone!

Comment

The great Bob Hope used to pronounce Basil Rathbone as Baysil Rathbone.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
                The great Bob Hope used to pronounce Basil Rathbone as Baysil Rathbone.
                That's another Americanism, they always pronounce Basil (the name or the herb) as Baysil.

Talking of which, they usually pronounce "herb" as just 'erb, the West Indian way

Steve

Comment

Well, Basil Rathbone once answered a theatre box office telephone and said "Hello - yes, tonight, madam, we are presenting "The Winslow Boy" starring Razzle Bathbone. Yes, that's right, Razzle Bathbone!" and promptly hung up the receiver.

Comment

Talking of which, they usually pronounce "herb" as just 'erb, the West Indian way

Steve
                    You mean like "Erb" Alpert!

Comment

And then of course there is "Vincent Van Go".

Comment

Or "Vincent van Goff".

Comment

"'Ere Ere"

Comment

When I first joined on the old forum I wanted to be "Rangebuster" but that had already been taken so cassidy was my next choice and I'm happy with that.

Comment

I was tempted to use my other interest name 'Steamradiofan' but, the traditionalist I am I have stuck to Bernardo. Considered Duggan as a tribute to my favourite cop but saw many familiar names so retained my unimaginative one.

Comment

I chose Tigon Man because I like Brit horror movies of the 6o's and 70's and because I couldn't think of anything else!
                                I only realised afterwards that Tigon Man made me sound like a cheap 70's aftershave!
                                I've always posted under my forum name and will carry on with it. My real name is Paul, but that's far to boring...
                                I have changed my avatar though, to a picture of Tigon films supremo Tony Tenser.

Comment

Working...
                                X