Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Old members, new names?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
    I chose Tigon Man because I like Brit horror movies of the 6o's and 70's and because I couldn't think of anything else!
    I only realised afterwards that Tigon Man made me sound like a cheap 70's aftershave!
    I've always posted under my forum name and will carry on with it. My real name is Paul, but that's far to boring...
    I have changed my avatar though, to a picture of Tigon films supremo Tony Tenser.
    I thought it was Raymond Baxter, then the old bins aren't up to much these days.

Comment

I'm wondering whether to go with a refreshable avatar, or stick with one for the duration...

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
        I'm wondering whether to go with a refreshable avatar, or stick with one for the duration...
        Oh, decisions decisions!

I haven't changed mine for years. Nicest one I can find of Miss Brahms.

Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 16th March 2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Name retained, avatar to come...

Comment

well on the subject of user names, I'm Bob and I live in Kent, its a name I've used in a few places now. my Avatar once was John Stratton from the long arm now its the man from the Tea making tips film. I just like how he has mad staring eyes!.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Oh, decisions decisions!

I haven't changed mine for years. Nicest one I can find of Miss Brahms.

Any relation to Johannes ?

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

I'm with you on that, Steve. After a couple of disparaging comments on the old forum, I considered using a nom d' Internet for the new version but feels counter intutative to be voicing opinions on other people's work from behind a pseudonym.
                Maybe this is my real name...

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post

Maybe this is my real name...
                  Are you going to sue Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich for misappropriation of the name?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                    I recently found my brother pronounces Nikon as though it rhymed with "light on". This is annoying to me, as he is a teacher of photography, yet my wife is Japanese and she assures me that Nikon, as a Japanese company, should be pronounced "Ni-KON" (and when she says it, I am reminded of the archaic English word "begone").

Got to love the world and its ways.
                    I would pronounce Nikon the same way as your brother does; perhaps in part because I wouldn't dream of pronouncing Nike (the training shoe manufacturer) as "Nick". Then again, I originally rhymed it with Mike (my brother's name) until people laughed at me and said it was "Ny-kee". At least it's not Nicky (my sister in law's name).

At a queue in the baker's earlier this week a rather burly builder in high viz vest and hard hat ordered a scone but rhymed it with "phone" and the staff began tittering, before one of them jokily pointed out that scone rhymes with "gone". There then began a debate which engulfed the entire queue and extended to those sat down in the cafeteria. Scone rhyming with gone won by quite a margin, to the workman's mock annoyance.

Many years ago I had a Malaysian friend who made a point of correcting my pronunciation of tapir (the Malaysian animal) from "tay-peer" to, as she insisted it ought to be, "tap-ear".

Comment

That's a surprise to me, Tonch, because during my time spent in England many years go, I only ever heard it pronounced "scoan"! In Australia we pronounce it "scon", however, there is a town called Scone on the New England Highway about 2 hours from my place and it is pronounced "scoan".

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
                        At a queue in the baker's earlier this week a rather burly builder in high viz vest and hard hat ordered a scone but rhymed it with "phone" and the staff began tittering, before one of them jokily pointed out that scone rhymes with "gone". There then began a debate which engulfed the entire queue and extended to those sat down in the cafeteria. Scone rhyming with gone won by quite a margin, to the workman's mock annoyance.
                        The scon / scoan debate has been going on for years. I think that it's mainly a north / south divide

Nobody should get annoyed at it. There are more worthwhile things to get annoyed by

Steve

Comment

I enjoy a little "difference of opinion" now and again, but as you say, there are other things... like conTROVersy or controVERSy.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                            The scon / scoan debate has been going on for years. I think that it's mainly a north / south divide

Nobody should get annoyed at it. There are more worthwhile things to get annoyed by

Steve
                            Mock annoyance is OK.

Comment

I dropped the number. The problem with using anything but my first name is I forget it.

Comment

Mine is just a simple kelp, exactly as it was on the old system, just plain old (easy to remember) kelp......Here's hoping that the new site takes off, and becomes well known. I do my best to promote it whenever talk of film comes up. All the best. G.....er.....kelp. Ha-ha.

Comment

Working...
                                X