Sad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad news

I am not sure if this is the appropriate section in which to post this, but I am sorry to say that Jacquie Groves, a popular and respected long time contributor to the old BritMovie site and better known to many of us here as "Dame Starry", sadly passed away on March 2nd following various health issues. The news came to me from a mutual friend and former moderator who remained in touch with Jacquie over several years. Many will remember her as the originator of (and regular contributor to) the popular BritMovie Forum Cookery Book, that enduring thread of sumptuous recipes. I know that other long term posters have been fondly remembered under similar sad circumstances and although I myself only conversed with "Dame Starry" on a handful of occasions, the exchanges were warm and friendly and I felt it appropriate that she be remembered by the BritMovie family.

I never knew the lady, but her cookery book is still available on the old forum:

http://filmdope.com/forums/90686-bri...kery-book.html

Comment

Yes, that is sad news, Tonch. I presume you heard it from David/Batman. I knew about her health issues and often wondered how she was. After the old forum ended, she rejoined and looked in from time to time, but posted rarely, the last time being in May when our fellow-member John Llewellyn Moxey died.
      Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 6 March 2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Sad news indeed.

RIP Dame Starry

Steve

Comment

Sad news indeed. Dame Starry was a real character on the old forum! R.I.P.

Comment

So sorry to hear this.

Comment

Very sorry to read this too.
              R.I.P.

Comment

Saddened to learn this news. Her wonderful recipes remain on the old Forum. aka Mrs Jones but she was delighted to get her own name back.

R.I.P.

Comment

Only saw her posts briefly but she was one of the many on here that I really liked to hear from. Sad to hear she died.

Comment

Unfortunately I never had need to contact her, however I still remember her well from some of the posts she wrote, my condolences to her family.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
                      Yes, that is sad news, Tonch. I presume you heard it from David/Batman.
                      No Shirl, the news reached me via my good friend "Smudge" whom you may remember used to help moderate on the old site. I got his approval to let you all know; at which point another once regular poster then joined the conversation and specifically asked after you. it was "Marky B". I was only too happy to tell both he and Smudge that you are still making regular, vibrant contributions to BritMovie. Both of them sent their regards and asked to be remembered to you and to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post

No Shirl, the news reached me via my good friend "Smudge" whom you may remember used to help moderate on the old site. I got his approval to let you all know; at which point another once regular poster then joined the conversation and specifically asked after you. it was "Marky B". I was only too happy to tell both he and Smudge that you are still making regular, vibrant contributions to BritMovie. Both of them sent their regards and asked to be remembered to you and to others.
                        Thank you, Tonch! Very nice and pleasing to hear from them both. Please give them my best regards next time you're in touch.

Comment

Deepest condolences to family and friends. I remember Dame Starry was a fan of the actor John Carlisle, dating back to the later years of Emergency Ward 10. I hope she got to enjoy the New Scotland Yard DVDs.

How tragic that we've now lost about ten Britmovie members in as many years. The long absence of those who are still alive (it seems too ironic to say "with us") is just as depressing. I'm sure we'd all welcome their return.

Comment

I visited The Dame / Jacquie during her illness. She was very brave and kept her sense of humour going to the end. Jacquie was a very kind and generous person and I miss her a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X