Orpheum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orpheum

A regular and always interesting contributor who doesn't seem to have been on for a bit. I have sent a PM but have had no reply as yet. I do hope that he is OK.

Worrying.

https://www.britmovie.co.uk/member/41-orpheum

Comment

Yes, it is concerning. His last appearance was 3rd February, so rather a long time for a holiday. I wonder if any other forum member knows his name and email address.

Comment

I am still here.However I became fed up with the rude responses from some members so I decided to take a break.Even today I see people involved in an angry spat over who said what over Coronavrus.I contribute to Nitrateville which doesn't have this sort of problem.
        I have tried to bring to members attention films and books and DVD sales,but there never seems to be great interest.So I am going to go back to my seat in the 3/9s and observe as if I was sitting in the old Odeon Temple Fortune.

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
          Shirley Brahms commented
          Editing a comment
          There was only one person who was angry, and that was due to a misunderstanding.

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
        I am still here.However I became fed up with the rude responses from some members so I decided to take a break.Even today I see people involved in an angry spat over who said what over Coronavrus.I contribute to Nitrateville which doesn't have this sort of problem.
        I have tried to bring to members attention films and books and DVD sales,but there never seems to be great interest.So I am going to go back to my seat in the 3/9s and observe as if I was sitting in the old Odeon Temple Fortune.
        You can always complain & we'll take action if it's required. Although many people on forums like this do take offence where none was intended (or even really given)

Steve

Comment

• orpheum
          orpheum commented
          Editing a comment
          I did complain and no action was taken.Hence my withdrawal from the forum

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
        I have tried to bring to members attention films and books and DVD sales,but there never seems to be great interest.
        When you post something on the internet on a forum like this, you never know who reads it and is influenced by it. I am a member of a coin forum. Some of my topics on that forum that I consider very interesting attract very few views. Then I put on a topic that I think will have restricted interest, but I enjoy doing it, then I find it gets 3000 views in 3 months. Go figure.

Once I'd forgotten the name of a topic of mine, so I googled it. I found my coin forum topic, but also somebody else had copied it verbatim for their own blog without giving me credit. The cheek of it made me chuckle. It also made me realise my writing sometimes has wider appeal, so I sent an article to a coin magazine. I've had about 35 articles published there since then. On one occasion I read an article about Rhodesian coins in that same magazine. It seemed spookily familiar. The 'author' had copied one of my coin forum topics wholesale. I told the editor. He awarded me the payment the 'author' was going to get and sent the fellow away with a severe warning about plagiarism. On various other occasions, a young member of our coin forum has shown me enthusiastic references to my topics that youngsters have posted on facebook groups. So you never can tell who is looking at your topics. On one occasion I mentioned a world coin catalogue published in Germany. Somebody PM'd me to tell me he was the author of that catalogue, sparking occasional collaboration over the years.

The point is, Orpheum, that your topics remain on the Britmovie forum as semi-permanent information, long after you have left the scene. Who knows how many unseen surfers are looking at them, enjoying stuff and learning from them. So you should be pleased that Britmovie hosts your topics.

Comment

• narabdela
          narabdela commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually dislike "well said" comments, but well said nonetheless.
      Working...
      X