Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Problems with uploading pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with uploading pictures

There have been a few posts in the last few days about how to upload pictures to the threads and the best way to do it. Also, some users have had problems with pictures being "invisible" to all, or some, users.

Here is a thread to sort it all out. You could use it to give the definitive method, or to post test messages, or just to vent your frustration at how annoying it can be when things don't go according to plan.

I believe it was recently mentioned that on the new forum it is possible to put a picture on the thread as an "attachment", which is then uploaded directly to the server that holds the forum. This is seen as an advantage as it will always be there and the process can be more straightforward for people unfamiliar things like Photobucket. The snag is that the storage of pictures all counts toward the amount of data that "belongs" to this site and is therefore, at some point, included in the cost of hosting the site. So for the Management, storing pictures elsewhere (eg. Photobucket) can be preferable, as long as the photobucket accounts are up to date and the pictures remain accessible. With a link from the thread, the picture still shows up in the discussion, but the actual file is held on the other server.

Recently, some problems have surfaced, whereby images stored on Photobucket aren't showing up. This can be due to a problem with Photobucket, or the BritMovie site, or the version of software that Britmovie is running, or the browsers being used by the users. Highly frustrating as trying to work out what is wrong can involve quite a lot of trial and error, not helped by the fact that some people see all the pictures, some people see some and some people will see none.

Have you added any pics recently? Can everyone see them? What is your method? Please include browser (Edge, Intenret Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.) and version.

Perhaps we can narrow it down to find out which things are causing the trouble.

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
    I believe it was recently mentioned that on the new forum it is possible to put a picture on the thread as an "attachment", which is then uploaded directly to the server that holds the forum. This is seen as an advantage as it will always be there and the process can be more straightforward for people unfamiliar things like Photobucket. The snag is that the storage of pictures all counts toward the amount of data that "belongs" to this site and is therefore, at some point, included in the cost of hosting the site. So for the Management, storing pictures elsewhere (eg. Photobucket) can be preferable, as long as the photobucket accounts are up to date and the pictures remain accessible. With a link from the thread, the picture still shows up in the discussion, but the actual file is held on the other server.
    The other problem with adding them as an attachment ora s a thumbnail is that you only see them as a thumbnail in the post. Viewing the full picture can be difficult, especially on a mobile device

Steve

Comment

Via Photobouquet - we use Opera as browser - hopefully will be viewable : )

Loch Earn 1987 ish

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
        Here is a thread to sort it all out. You could use it to give the definitive method, or to post test messages
        There is no "definitive method"

It depends which image hosting site you use.
        It depends which browser you are using.
        It even depends what hardware you have

Steve

Comment

A scanned photograph, saved as a jpeg file, uploaded to Photobucket.
          Linked from this thread using the format {img}address{/img}, where the img is enclosed by square brackets, and the address is the address shown on photobucket in the box they call "Direct"

PC, using Windows 10. The browser is Firefox, running version 52.0.1

Comment

I recently found that you can copy and paste images straight into your post without using the link.
            If they're too big then I put them into Photobucket first to resize and/or crop.

Comment

But that will cost this site more money.

Nick

Comment

None of the buttons at the bottom are working for me... :-(

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                  None of the buttons at the bottom are working for me... :-(
                  Which buttons at the bottom?
                  What are you trying to do?
                  What do the buttons show if you hover the mouse above them?
                  Can you describe the buttons?

Steve

Comment

Have I got this right? We can't post images, or even links, at the 'Looking for Video/DVD' threads? This appeared in the preview but didn't show up when I submitted my reply (which I've since deleted):

TVTimes preview featuring Derek Royle, 8th September 1975

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
                      Have I got this right? We can't post images, or even links, at the 'Looking for Video/DVD' threads?
                      Where do you get these ideas from? Of course you can

Steve

Comment

My post at the 'Hogg's Back' thread looked something like this before I deleted it:

TVTimes preview featuring Derek Royle, 8th September 1975

[IMG=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i436.photobucket.com\/albums\/qq85\/cornershop15\/Documents%202\/TVTimes%20preview%20for%20Hoggs%20Back%20ft.%20Der ek%20Royle%208th%20September%201975.jpg"}[/IMG]

Preceding Romper Room, in the Anglia region, was the film The House on Telegraph Hill

I edited out part of the 'wrap tags' to avoid reproduction of the listing I posted earlier. Having tested the upload at other parts of the Forum, and seen it work, I still don't understand why the article has failed to show up at 'Looking for Video/DVD'?

Comment

That would have been better if you had just put IMG instead of IMG=JSON inside the first square brackets and then just put the images URL between the IMG tags. Get rid of everything else

Steve

Comment

PDF Test

For Gerald:

Dombey and Son

(The Australian Women's Weekly, 14th June 1972)

Comment

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
                              PDF Test

For Gerald:

Dombey and Son

(The Australian Women's Weekly, 14th June 1972)
                              Thank you, cornershop. That link has worked fine. I much regret not having mentioned my memories of this production to John Carson when I met him a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X